Fordmods Logo

v6 conversion 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: v6 conversion
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ba xr6

NSW, Australia

hey guys, looking at doing a v6 conversion into my 86 hilux just wanted to know if any knows about them or has done it be for any info about this would be good.

thanks jake

Ba Xr6: running lpg lowed with super lows and a GME uhf!
Mods to come are: manual, leathers.

Post subject: Re: v6 conversion
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 5L 5 speed Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

I know that xpfalcon170 was looking at this conversion for his 4 runner. I think that he mentioned that a 1UZ conversion works out to be not that much more, as you have to convert a LOT for the commo motor to work.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i was just looking around becose my mate is scraping his vp and he said if i wanted it i can have it, and i have a 22r motor in it and bean having to much trouble with the carby

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF GT, EL Xr, Xp mont, 4runner

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hey hey, i heard someone mention my username.

yeh, ive had a brief look into doing a v6 conversion, as i too can aquire a very cheap vn motor.

http://www.v6conversions.com.au/hilux4runner.htm

this company i have not yet managed to ring up yet, but their kit is about nearly 2k. my understanding is that it includes everything to get the engine in and running. I have heard reports that diff ratios need to be changed, propshafts extended or shortened, gearbox crossmembers modified etc etc

You may also want to check out 4wdaction forums as they will have alot more info on the subject and many members who have actually done a v6 or 1uz v8 conversion.

cheers, wade

Hektic Kebab with the lot

Why have abs when you can have kebabs

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

well i had a look at the site and looks alright i dont want any hasssel with it i no i will but its due for rego in april so will have to wait till after then other then that i mite just get the 22r running right but if you go a head with it let me know how it gose very keen to see one

thanks for all your help guys

jake

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have done 3 conversions myself and have been involved in a couple more.
I was looking into the V6 dunnydoor motor when my missus had her 4 runner and this is what I found out.
First off do you want auto or manual?
In my opinion auto makes a better off road vehicle in a lot of ways but will be more work.
If you go auto tailshafts will need to be changed and gearbox crossmembers moved. Also you need to fit the modified output shaft for the transfer case in the auto which involves stripping the auto so its best left to the experts and have the auto rebuilt at the same time.
Manual is a custom bell housing available from Dellow automotive , Marks 4x4 etc.
V6 conversions is just a reseller of most of Marks 4x4 gear in his 4x4 conversions.
Going manual keeps the driveline in its original place.

You need to get a VP motor or newer. The VN in series one and some series 2 had different cranks for auto and manual. There is a custom flywheel available to fit a manual to a VN auto motor but it is expensive and not worth it at all. Just get a VP or better motor and be done with it.
Diff ratios are a personal choice. As a rule 4 runners are geared low in the 4 cylinders to make up for their lack of power so when you put a more powerful motor in they will just about wheelstand off the mark but will rev harder on the highway.
If you dont like it you can get around that issue by going to larger tyres next tyre change. Going from a 31" tyre with 4.3 gears to a 33" tyre will give it the equivilent of 4.11 gearing etc.
I have never changed ratios in mine when doing a conversion. I only changed mine to 4.625's in the Mav when I had the 35" tyres on it. Now I am back on 33" I am running 4.11's.

You can find more info on http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/ and http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/.
Myself I reckon do it. I was looking at 1UZ for our old runner and while they are a more powerfull smoother motor , they are big , wide and as they are not an Australian released motor aftermarket parts are not readily available. Makes it hard if the truck is a daily driver. Also they are a paint to keep cool and physically fit in to a runner. They have been done many times with good results and the owners are more then happy but they are not my cup of tea.
Hope this is some help.
Cheers Matt

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I have been involved with a 1UZ into 4runner conversion, Personly next time i'd be puting a commodore V6 in. The 1UZ like has been mentioned is a very tight fit and it's an absolute pain in the a*** to service and repair when it's fitted in the hilux/runner.

The other option is an older chev V6, can be had as a 4.3L with injection.

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

A full pajero conversion could be a goer......well would be for me, as long as the measurement work out..........if you can get a free motor then it'll still cost a bit when it's all done. Personally i would do a 302W before a commonwhore V6........

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

well all this info is goood thanks guys makeing me wanna do it, well as im on my p's i cant drive a v8 and when my broother starts driving as well thats y i thourt of a v6 well ill have to have a look at thouse sites and ill probly end up doing this when my cash bag grows a bit bigger
well thanks heps guys

jake

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Hey matey,

I've done a s**t ton of v6 conversions, my last few were into a mitsubishi van, a courier dualcab, and my own fourby, a nissan 720.

Conversion into the fourby was one of the best converions, it has made it very competitive, and fun to drive. If you do the conversion yourself its very cheap and mod plates aren't had to get if you follow a few guidelines.

In it i decided to fit the auto, as it is much better for serious fourby work, rock climbing is so good with the auto. I'm running the 720's original ratios on 33 inch muddies and its perfect, hardly ever use low range anymore, but still only revs at approx 2300 at 100kmh.

Do it man, great conversion.

Andrew

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford EL XR8

NSW, Australia

V6 into hilux is alot of fun, get a lsd and also make the auto shift really hard..... careful in the wet

EL XR8 II Manual, Ported GT40P's, E303 cam, Au220TB, 70mm MAF, HiFlo Cats, Tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

Power: 208 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the only thing i would do with a nasty rattly cheap and gutless v6 commodore motor is use it for a boat anchor get somthing decent like a hilux v6 or maybe a ford 4L six???? why would you want a 3.8L 130kw hunk of crap the diesel would be better

2 FOR TURNING & 2 FOR BURNING

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

brad17djr wrote:
the only thing i would do with a nasty rattly cheap and gutless v6 commodore motor is use it for a boat anchor get somthing decent like a hilux v6 or maybe a ford 4L six???? why would you want a 3.8L 130kw hunk of crap the diesel would be better

You really didnt think about that poat did you? They have more than 130kw, the have way more power than the diesel, and they are a compact engine that fits into almost anything. Have you actually ever measured a 4L six? i'd love to see one stuffed into a hilux.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford EL XR8

NSW, Australia

brad17djr wrote:

Clever guy this one

There cheap, it fit and it had more power than original motor. The look on people's faces as your sideways of the lights

EL XR8 II Manual, Ported GT40P's, E303 cam, Au220TB, 70mm MAF, HiFlo Cats, Tune (215rwkw) and some bigger brakes

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

PIMP_LTD wrote:
brad17djr wrote:

You really didnt think about that poat did you? They have more than 130kw, the have way more power than the diesel, and they are a compact engine that fits into almost anything. Have you actually ever measured a 4L six? i'd love to see one stuffed into a hilux.

not to mention say th3.4 hilux v6 aren't exactly classed as a terrrific motor, if you meant the new motor, well my mates already leaks oil everywhere at 200 odd, also very erxpensive to purchase.

but most importantly, hey Andrew's back. :lol:

still got the eb?

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next