Fordmods Logo

A/C Blower fan ='s no operation - think I've found the prob. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: A/C Blower fan ='s no operation - think I've found the prob.
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

So, the blower fan in the ED stopped working last week and today is the first opportunity I've had to have a look at it.

Control unit seems fine....Self test is fine.......

I figured it was either the FSC Resistor, the fan itself or the loom. I think I found the problem.......

Image[/URL]

This connector got REALLY hot at one stage (lucky to still have the car judging by the damage). There's power from the FSC to the connection in the brown wire, but not surprisingly nothing on the other sidein the red. No power on the yellow wire which appears to be an earth anyway as it connects up to the black on the other side of the connector.

Anyway, I am going to bridge the connector on the brown to red wire and see if that restores the fan.

My question is.....can any of you electrical boffins out there nominate a reason why this might have happened at the connector?? Could it have been a short in the connector itself? Or has the connector just sacraficed itself as a sort of fusible link and the problem is elsewhere (like the fan itself??)

Is it safe just to bridge that connection again (perhaps with an inline 25amp fuse say) and assuming that works, just leave it??

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Post subject: Re: A/C Blower fan ='s no operation - think I've found the prob.
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

If there was a short you would have blown a fuse. The joint has gone hi-resistance and then gets hot. It gets more resistance and hotter again. Think about the motor, it is slowed by the resister in the air duct, it gets hot and gets rid of some of the power, which slows the motor. You can fix it by replacing the connecter, but you will have to make sure you have clean wire before you replace the connecter. The wire will be bad a few inches either side of the melted connection. I normally solder after I use a crimp connection. Hope this helps.

Regards 96ELGli

Post subject: Re: A/C Blower fan ='s no operation - think I've found the prob.
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

If there was a short you would have blown a fuse. The joint has gone hi-resistance and then gets hot. It gets more resistance and hotter again. Think about the motor, it is slowed by the resister in the air duct, it gets hot and gets rid of some of the power, which slows the motor. You can fix it by replacing the connecter, but you will have to make sure you have clean wire before you replace the connecter. The wire will be bad a few inches either side of the melted connection. I normally solder after I use a crimp connection. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that mate. That's exactly what I did, but I also chucked a 15 amp fuse in line as protection in the event something is cactus down the line!!!!

Cheers.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]