Fordmods Logo

AU ECU and engine loom in XH/EL 

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: AU ECU and engine loom in XH/EL
Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

forgot to mention that i've finished all the wiring but i'm just yet to 'clean' it all up and make it a proper loom. no point doing that if its f**k haha.
the car does run but it sounds like the timing is retarded and the fuel is very lean, it will stall if the throttle is opened.

to me that sounds as though the map wasn't working, so i'm going to collect a handful of sensors as spares just in case.

thanks for the props also :)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but what ECU have you put in series1, or 2/3?

I've had the thought in the back of my mind for a while to convert to EF coil packs and do away with the pita TFI module, but this looks even better.

Being able to fit up a 2bar map sensor is a plus too.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

You can use ef el tps on au ecu, s.. same as the t map. While series 1 au mounrs different its electronically the same as aeries 2 and ba..
You can wire a ba xr6t 2 bar map sensor but it wont work unless settings sre chsnged in the tune..

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 am 

NSW, Australia

You can use ef el tps on au ecu, s.. same as the t map. While series 1 au mounrs different its electronically the same as aeries 2 and ba..
You can wire a ba xr6t 2 bar map sensor but it wont work unless settings sre chsnged in the tune..

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

MAD wrote:
I've had the thought in the back of my mind for a while to convert to EF coil packs and do away with the pita TFI module, but this looks even better.
I'd do it in a flash - if I could retain SSPS.
Best I think you can do is a remote TFI with heatshink, much like TimmyA did a while back.

I am though looking at modding a dizzy cap with 3 x hall effects to fire an EF coilpack.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
MAD wrote:
I'd do it in a flash - if I could retain SSPS.
Best I think you can do is a remote TFI with heatshink, much like TimmyA did a while back.

I am though looking at modding a dizzy cap with 3 x hall effects to fire an EF coilpack.
I know what you mean. SSPS rocks.
It could be a worthwhile trade-off though.

Then again, it's another excuse in the 'pros' column to do AU/BA k-frame.
SSPS will be lost with that conversion.

Then with the k-frame and AU ECU, might as well add in updated ABS and include traction control.

What misk has made to seem like such a straight forward task, opens up so many more opportunities.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for that info troyman.

mad im using an AU s3 ecu.
ran into a problem in that my BCM has s**t itself i think, i hope so anyway lol
fuel pump isn't receiving power from the bcm and i can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't be working.

the injectors also don't seem to be firing. if i hardwire the fuel pump it still won't start.
if i squirt some start ya bastard into the tb it will run for a second or 2.

i put a multimeter on the EF CMP and with the AU wiring it just wasn't working. an ECu designed to run a VR sensor just won't work with a hall effect.
so i modified the CMP housing and cut down the trigger so that now the AU CMP VR sensor fits in the housing. i'm glueing it in there.

hopefully this resolves the injector issue.
i'm unsure why it started previously, but what matters is that at the moment it doesn't lol.

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

finally got the car running!
after fixing the one mixed up wire then killing the ECU and J3 i thought it was all over lol couldnt get it to run anywhere near to what it was.

after f**k around over and over i realised i didn't disable the security in the tune on the J3, so with that corrected the car started up no worries lol.
also think the map sensor may not be reading 100% correct but we will have to see!

so really the only problem that i had with the conversion itself was that one mixed up wire. everything else was my own fault but not related to wiring.
it feels to be running a bit lean or retarded but ill have a play with it all tomorrow after i integrate all the new wires into the engine loom properly.

i'm using the EF CMP modified with the AU sensor but ill try the EF sensor tomorrow to see if it works just so we know.

XG Panelvan

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
same as the t map. While series 1 au mounrs different its electronically the same as aeries 2 and ba..

Sorry Troy, this is not true. Series 1 TMAP has a different voltage transfer to S2. They put out slightly different voltage for a given pressure. See ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/the-illustrated-guide-to-au-b-series-i6-tmap-sensors-t95674.html

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:10 pm 

NSW, Australia

well they work identical, voltage difference must be very minimal or the information is not 100% correct??.. I fitted a series 2 upper manifold and tmap to my series 1 au ghia and everything was the same, there was no changes that needed to be made in the tune for it to work correctly..

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey mate,

See the post I linked - there is a chart showing the difference along with actual voltage/pressure transfers.
This difference will result in a lean/rich running engine (depending which way you swap it) on a stock engine. If you've changed the cam you've thrown the tune out anyway.

Not trying to be picky but I have had people have issues with this.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:16 pm 

NSW, Australia

the car was std at the time and didn't show any difference when run on the dyno, to this day its still got the s2 t map fitted..

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There is a real difference with the sensors. That's all I wanted to add!

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

this ended up being a great success after the few f**k arounds.
with a good tune on the J3 it runs great. idles smooth and is just a nicer car to drive.
im hooking up the ELM diagnostic unit tomorrow to get a better idea of whats going on, but at the moment i'm very happy with the outcome :)

XG Panelvan

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4