Fordmods Logo

bf sensor on steering column 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: bf sensor on steering column
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: bf fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

can anybody help me with my problem. The DSC comes into operation at slow speeds and always seems to be from drivers side mainly whilst turning.I now switch it off when I start the engine. I have had it to a mechanic who reset the computer and said that the sensor on the column is faulty it lasted for 2months before symptoms came back slowly. Would buying a actron auto scanner be able to reset the sensor ?. I know to replace it would be to big a job. Any info would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: bf sensor on steering column
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

don't know if scanner will allow you to recalibrate steering sensor or only allow you to read codes - but this may be of some help - steering sensor slips "around" shaft and alters calibration -a modified steering shaft was brought out by Ford with spline where it passes thru the steering sensor to stop sensor mating surface slipping - spline on steering shaft usually can be just seen at bottom of sensor where shaft exits sensor if it has been replaced -if splined shaft is fitted a new sensor and recalibration is required-if old shaft is fitted a new sensor will be a tighter fit and less likely to slip for a reasonable amount of time but still requires recalibration-enquire with Ford dealer if this is covered as a recall ??

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

many thanks TedW I will investigate further now with your helpful information.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi TedW, Well I finally got to the sensor with the help of the wife's make up mirror.
Disconected electrics and was able to pull the sensor off the plastic sleeve which has a molded key and a molded keyway, the keyway is the initial guide when relocating the sensor back on to the sleeve which then locates on to the key. There is also a locating peg on the sensor which fits into metal slot. After refitting switched on ignition and turned steering wheel to the right fully 4 times and back to center no problem, but doing it the left each time at half way indicator light comes on. On road test light comes on but activation and shudder has stopped.Will take it on a run to see if it returns but I am sure the sensor is faulty. Again many thanks for your input. Filer

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]