Fordmods Logo

EF Falcon Cruise Control not working 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Falcon Cruise Control not working
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys hopefully you can help me out! I have cruise control fitted to my '96 classic as a factory option and about a month ago it decided to bugger up on me and has been annoying me ever since! When you hop in and turn her to the "on" position everything is as normal except that the "cruise" light comes on stating that cruise is activated without me pressing the "on" button, as I guessed it's probably that the on switch has just failed and is stuck on and will need replacing but when looking at the switch with the car off and key out of the ignition I pressed the "on" button and the horn sounded, obviously something is messed up, just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I take it into an auto electrician! Cheers for any help!

Post subject: Re: EF Falcon Cruise Control not working
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:13 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

susspect cruise switch - disconnect cruise module near brake master cylinder,see if horn still operates from cruise switch if so check ALL cruise switches for stuck switch...

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks for your reply mate! How do I go about checking for a stuck button? Haven't tried step 1 yet, hopefully a job for tomorrow!

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:32 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

carry out step 1 first -
then check at control module connector under bonnett-

multimeter (set for resistance-ohms)-check what your meter shows when turned to resistance with leads seperated (open circuit) and leads joined (closed circuit)....

there will be 2 black wires -
one black wire will have a circuit thru multimeter if you connect one lead to it and the other lead to negative at your battery (closed circuit)....earth to module
this is NOT the black wire you want use the other black wire ........earth to horn switch

connect your multimeter to the other black wire and the black/yellow wires
should have no resistance if switches are working correctly until you push switches
then when you push coast =120 ohms -set =680 ohms - resume = 2200 ohms(2.2k)
these are approximate only what your looking for is a definite change in resistance readings with each button..... on/off switch should read open then closed circuit as button is pushed

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I had a similar problem with the cruise control being on all the time, and then it would constantly flash when on button pressed. Swapped the module over and problem fixed.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford Falcon EL

QLD, Australia

it is quite possibly a button issue there but another possibility is that there has been an internal fault recognised in your cruise control unit and this is its method of displaying a fault. By all means do the button checks first with the information provided above and if this all checks out, try and get another unit from wreckers or a mate and plug into it and see if the light goes away. If so this indicates an internal fault in the module.

Whereabouts are you located mate?

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

freexrider wrote:
it is quite possibly a button issue there but another possibility is that there has been an internal fault recognised in your cruise control unit and this is its method of displaying a fault. By all means do the button checks first with the information provided above and if this all checks out, try and get another unit from wreckers or a mate and plug into it and see if the light goes away. If so this indicates an internal fault in the module.

Whereabouts are you located mate?

Thanks for the advice guys, should hopefully get a look in tonight, haven't had the time lately!

freexrider - Im in Geelong, Victoria so a long way away from you in Qld! haha

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford Falcon EL

QLD, Australia

FORD-FirstOnRaceDay wrote:
freexrider - Im in Geelong, Victoria so a long way away from you in Qld! haha

haha yeah mate I noticed that. might be a bit of a drive. let us know how you go.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Alright finally all fixed up, i cannot explain how this fixed the issue but i pulled the ignition barrel out and tightened it up as it was really loose and bingo bango, cruise control working perfecto!

The day before i decided to have a crack, i was driving along though a town at ~50km/h and out of no where the cruise kicked in and floored the pedal, scared the s**t out of me, had to jump on the brake to avoid catastrophe! Anywho, working perfect now! fingers crossed it stays like this! :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]