Fordmods Logo

EL XR8 '98 AIRBAG FUSE BLOWING 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR8 '98 AIRBAG FUSE BLOWING
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR8

SA, Australia

Hey all, ive been having an issue lately.. at first i was manually shifting my auto. and the airbag light came on showing code 12, after checking the fuse and puting a new fuse in it (10amp), i cleared all the codes. Airbag light went out..

after driving it for a day it then came on again, once again... checked the fuse and it was blown.. put a new fuse in and cleared it.. again drove it for a day and it came back on..

now i have heard of airbag modules being faulty in the series 2 xr8's. but today i went to put a fuse in it again as im sick of seeing my airbag light on.. and as soon as the two pins on the fuse touch the contact points it blows the fuse straight away..

has anyone had this issue? i need it fixed.. police dont like seeing airbag lights on.. and ive used all my excuses.

Post subject: Re: EL XR8 '98 AIRBAG FUSE BLOWING
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

normally indicates air bag module is faulty and requires replacing -
disconnect plug to module under drivers side dash Hi above accel. pedal and see if it stops blowing fuse - light will stay on when plug is disconnected -can be a pain to swap

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR8

SA, Australia

i tried getting to it, but i can't manage to get my hand up there to rip the plug off...

at the moment its dead short. i put a fuse in it and it catches on fire.. have you heard of this happening?

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

it was common for the airbag module to fail and have a dead short across it causing the fuse to blow - replacement is necessary to rectify but can be a b**ch to get to but is possible - don't continue replacing fuse however until at least undoing plug and then testing or you will end up letting the smoke out -

the following info from "bushmechanic" may help -

AIR BAG ECU REPLACEMENT, here’s a tip, enlarge the hole in the dash moulding behind the fuse box cover & use 1/4 drive extensions to access the 3 green airbag ecu bolts, remove the fuse box & use 1/4 drive sockets, a mirror & a torch to access the bolts you cant see.
installation is the same as the removal procedure, but use blu tac to hold the bolts in the socket instead of using a magnet.
...saves removing the dash.....remove the driver’s seat so you can lay down on the job.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]