Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Help Please - EF Fairmont
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

TAS, Australia

G'day all,

Got a suspected TPS problem here, just after some straight forward advice if possible, I have an issue with the car idling really high and not changing into fourth (limp home mode ???).

It's an EF Fairmont Auto

Wasn't an issue till I started playing with things, I removed the throttle body and gave it a good clean, cleaned the ISC and then reconnected everything.

Started up the car and now its revving like crazy gets upto 3k rpm in idle, and wont hit fourth, also when changing into gear it clunks really bad and the whole car shudders.

I'm suspecting I somehow f**k the TPS which is a pain in the a**, even though im having the current problem god damn throttle response has improved since cleaning the throttle body.

Anyway what I have done to try fix the problem was reset the ECU and all that jazz, I have tried driving around to see if the ECU just needs to relearn the gear changes now the car is running smoother but nothing. I have rest the base idle by disconnecting the ISC and setting the base idle to around 550rpm then reconnect ISC but no luck.

I also removed the TPS again and then reconnected this time the RPM increase wasnt as sudden, I started the car and it seemed fine for a second or two then the revs just shot up again. I have checked throttle cable and nothing wrong there.

Please help..

EDIT:

Okay after reading some info courtesy of google search i see that I can grab my multimeter and test the TPS, but how do i adjust the voltage if incorrect ?

EDIT:

Okay so I just went out and disconnected the TPS and started up the car, went for a drive round the block and no difference at all. I am really starting to think its the TPS, is it possible for me to destroy one of these accidently by removing it ? Or is it that I'm not reattaching it properly, what I'm doing is putting it into position, then turning clockwise till i can feel resistance and then when the screw holes line up i tighten up. This is my first time playing with this so I'm a little out of my comfort zone.

I really hope its just my s**t house skills and I havent stuffed it, can't afford to replace it right now...

EDIT :

After more research I think I might have found the problem, It's to late to go out and try fix it now so it will have to wait till the morning, if it works I'll be back to say how stupid I was in a few hours....

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Help Please - EF Fairmont
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:49 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

i had a tps problem n it was stuck in gear 1 unless i had the throttle wide open to change gears n if it dropped a certain speed and throttle possition it would drop to 1st ( once doin 85km)

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Ef fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

id be checking to see that you tps is on correctly, sometimes when u remove and reinstall tps, you can move the resistor to be showing the ecu that the throttle body is open

EFII Fairmont (XH00NR) - K & N apollo enclosed pod filter, Megasquirt 2 Ecu controlling fuel, 350 cc injectors flowed out 420cc, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, J3 chip with custom transmittion map, BA XR6 front seats. Turbo setup in the works.
EF Fairmont Turbo

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Well i think I found the problem, the TPS appears to be f**k. I got the multimeter out and it was reading .084 closed or open... I am 99.999999999999% I reattached it correctly but somehow I think i killed it.

I went to the trouble of drilling out the holes on the TPS a bit larger and then reattaching but still no difference. I don't get how it just sits at .084 volts...

Anyway found a wrecker who said $30 for the part im after.... I'm going to get it later and hopefully come back here and say PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

well did you fix it or not? hate it when people never say if it's fixed or not

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Completelly forgot I posted up asking for help here lol, anyway I replaced the TPS and the problem was solved. Hopefully if someone else has a similar problem this helps.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

good to hear

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]