Fordmods Logo

Nf starter motor prombkems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Nf starter motor prombkems
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NF V8 FAIRLANE

QLD, Australia

Hi , I have a NF v8 and I'm having troubles getting it to start . I was wanting to know is there anything else that will stop it from turning over ?
The starter relay clicks in the fuse box but that's it , but if I use a screwdriver on the starter then it cranks . Beside the starter is there something else I'm missing . Battery is brand new so it's not that plus when I pull it out and use jumper lead it engages, so would this mean the starter is stuffed.

Post subject: Re: Nf starter motor prombkems
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

jug79 wrote:
Hi , I have a NF v8 and I'm having troubles getting it to start . I was wanting to know is there anything else that will stop it from turning over ?
The starter relay clicks in the fuse box but that's it , but if I use a screwdriver on the starter then it cranks . Beside the starter is there something else I'm missing . Battery is brand new so it's not that plus when I pull it out and use jumper lead it engages, so would this mean the starter is stuffed.
??????

verify that smartlock light on dash works and goes out when ignition is turned on & interior light works

if starter engages and cranks when bridged with screwdriver starter should be ok - if starter relay is clicking when you try to crank would suggest changing starter relay (bridge terminals 30 & 87 of starter relay connector-should crank engine)
relay should be rear relay along inner guard near battery

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Hi
Yes the smartlock light goes out and the interior lights work . Ok I will check that tomorrow but what is the relay in the fuse box under the steering.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

flasher unit park tail relay and rear demister relay -

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Ok I have pulled the relay out and bridged 30 & 87 but nothing happened , so I took the wire out then a few seconds later a big cloud of smoke come from the starter I would assume the starter solenoid is gone .

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

jug79 wrote:
Ok I have pulled the relay out and bridged 30 & 87 but nothing happened , so I took the wire out then a few seconds later a big cloud of smoke come from the starter I would assume the starter solenoid is gone .

was it definitely from the starter
based on what your saying it indicates starter problem- pull switch wire(red/blue) off at starter-plug relay back in and check for power on this wire while someone turns key to crank position because it is possible that relay is faulty due to starter having a short in it.........

didn't you mention starter cranked when you bridged it with a screw driver if so did you bridge from power cable to switch wire(push on terminal-red/blue) or across the main terminals (which doesn't test the solenoid) .........?

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Yes it did , and yes it was from the starter when I pulled it out the starter smelled burnt , so I took it to the auto lecy and he said the solenoid fryed it self , but don't know why .

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

jug79 wrote:
Yes it did , and yes it was from the starter when I pulled it out the starter smelled burnt , so I took it to the auto lecy and he said the solenoid fryed it self , but don't know why .

suggest changing starter relay...................

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]