Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: right indicators only blow fuse au 3 falcon forte
Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon au 3 forte

NSW, Australia

hi guys,

The left blinker work's fine.
I recently lost my right sided indicators whilst driving, it blown a fuse. No blown bulbs, and that's all 4 including the instrument cluster. I wanted to get my hands on the wiring diagram for the stalk switch. I've looked online and plenty selling on ebay, gumtree etc but, I don't know if it's the stalk that's faulty. So my prob is, I checked all bulb sockets and when shorted across the bulb sockets with mulitmeters I get about 1.4 ohms, that after disconnecting the battery, stalk wiring, fuse, relay and bulbs.
After looking at the manual , it states all 4 bulbs are in parrallel. So I have no real details to determine a location on the wiring short. The diagram should conclude that there is no power in the end of the circuit. So anyone got an idea how to determine where a short is ? I'de like to test the indicator switch as well without pulling the steering wheel off.
I've got some good electrical knowledge but, without a proper diagram , I'm flying blind and tempted to just rewire it but, that would seem futile.
Also put a new flasher relay in, just in case.
I didn't want to put in a indicator stalk if that 's not the problem.
Any common areas that cause wear and shorts on the falcon ? sedans that are well known? I could try to check those areas as well.
So I have a left blinker but , no right.

Post subject: Re: right indicators only blow fuse au 3 falcon forte
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Check trailer plug if you have one

Post subject: Re: right indicators only blow fuse au 3 falcon forte
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Gday TedW,

Thanks for your reply.
I did have a trailer plug connected but, I disconnected it -admittedly after the short occurred. It was connected to a simple bike carrier with a number plate light over the rego plate. Only a power and earth are connected when the tail lights some one, the other wires weren't connected.The wiring harness was disconnected inside the boot to be sure and retested with the same result - blown 15A fuse.
I had taken the car back to Ford dealership long time ago , over a new years - xmas break when the car was having problems with the locking doors mechanism- the doors kept locking and unlocking(like a door wasn't shut but the lock remote was activated) , I needed it with little ones. They found the wiring harness inside the back seat $600-the cable tie had broken loose along the bottom of the door sill and the wires were squashed under the seat somehow .

But cheers anyway matey.

Post subject: Re: right indicators only blow fuse au 3 falcon forte -Solved
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I wanna share this , cause I still can't believe it and just want save someone else the headaches and possibly the costs. There was poor contact between the front headlight bulb indicator and the socket. the lead base of the bulb had caused the short.

I was able to get the right indicators going but the flasher was going like crazy. After inspecting each bulb in the daylight I could see the front bulb wasn't flashing. After close inspection, the 40A bulb looked fine and had continuity when checked with an ohmmeter. After adjusting the contacts inside the socket -viola! The spring base must have bent back after all the years and lost contact with the bulb or the lead base on the bulb had worn as the bulbs amber paint dip looked a little flaky- showing it's age.

Thanks to TedW I'll have a close look the trailer plug b4 connecting again.
cheers guys.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]