Fordmods Logo

xg smartlock starter disabled after DOHC conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: xg smartlock starter disabled after DOHC conversion
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hi guys,have just done a barra conversion in my xg ute, have wired up the starter and Inhibitor switch and it starts and runs (started via starter motor), have been searching all morning for a way to bypass this-found on thread that mentioned soldering two wires together both red and blue assuming its off the BEM connector(I think) can anyone confirm this/and if will work on a XG, cheers, Johnny.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Post subject: Re: xg smartlock starter disabled after DOHC conversion
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:17 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

two red/blue wires at BEM are starter circuits in and out of BEM - from ignition switch start position into BEM and out of BEM to start relay - bridge together to by pass start circuit lock out of BEM - should still cut out fuel/injectors when smartlock is active.....................is the inhibit switch working as this will prevent start as well?

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Hi Ted, thank you for your help,I have the Inhibitor switch connected and the fuel pump is controlled by the BA pcm, thats why I am assuming that its the BEM stopping the starter from working, still have the XG ECU connected to control the A/C etc later when I get the lines made, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hi Ted, thank you for your help,I have the Inhibitor switch connected and the fuel pump is controlled by the BA pcm, thats why I am assuming that its the BEM stopping the starter from working, still have the XG ECU connected to control the A/C etc later when I get the lines made, cheers, Johnny.

i assume this means you have a chip in BA PCM to bypass the smartshield system

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

TedW wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:

You don't chip the Barra PCM, you need to "disable" the security in the PCM use something like the Xcal3 or similar.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
TedW wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:

You don't chip the Barra PCM, you need to "disable" the security in the PCM use something like the Xcal3 or similar.

I stand corrected - but still inquire as to the method being used to bypass smartshield out of curiosity...........also is smartlock light working correctly

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

TedW wrote:
SWC wrote:
TedW wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:

I stand corrected - but still inquire as to the method being used to bypass smartshield out of curiosity...........also is smartlock light working correctly

I agree, what was used to disable the secuity program in the PCM?

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hi, yea PATS was disabled with HP tuner vcm suite- now im just trying to work out the starter motor working through the ignition properly, am going to connect the the red and blues from the BEM-hopfully that will get it working, will let you know, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys,so Ive got the starter motor cranking from the ignition switch but won't start-sort of try's to start and will only crank for a few seconds, the Inhibitor switch seems to be working as it won't crank anywhere else but park, the Inhibitor switch is connected to 86 of the starter relay and the starter motor is connected to 87 of the relay, can anyone tell me if that sounds correct?
P.s above connections are for the XG starter relay set up as the BA starter relay is wired up totally different.
Any help or input would be awsome-thanks in advance, cheers, Johnny.
p.s, ok now the starter motor is working-but no start, but if i turn the ignition on it starts fine from the starter motor (directly), does this mean its still got to do with the inhibitor switch?-is there a earth wire coming from the inhibitor switch ive missed maybe?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:40 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it sounds like ignition switch wireing related, is it supplying 12v to pcm while cranking, the inhibiter switch or smartlock only stop it from cranking, so now that you have it cranking try a different power source to the pcm as a test..

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hey guys,so Ive got the starter motor cranking from the ignition switch but won't start-sort of try's to start and will only crank for a few seconds, the Inhibitor switch seems to be working as it won't crank anywhere else but park, the Inhibitor switch is connected to 86 of the starter relay and the starter motor is connected to 87 of the relay, can anyone tell me if that sounds correct?
P.s above connections are for the XG starter relay set up as the BA starter relay is wired up totally different.
Any help or input would be awsome-thanks in advance, cheers, Johnny.
p.s, ok now the starter motor is working-but no start, but if i turn the ignition on it starts fine from the starter motor (directly), does this mean its still got to do with the inhibitor switch?-is there a earth wire coming from the inhibitor switch ive missed maybe?

Which Computor do you have controlling the Auto, BA PCM or XG ECU?

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Hi SWC, the BA pcm is controlling the auto, Troyman's correct I think-Ive made a mistake on the ignition switch wiring, will know by this afternoon, thankyou for your replys guys-will let you know how it goes, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:21 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You do realise that the BA BTR is "wired" different to the E series 4 speed BTR.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey guys, got it sorted-thankyou Troyman it was the ignition switch wiring and SWC yea I do realize the BTR's are different in wiring but I left the harness fairly intact on the BA harness for the auto so it was mainly the inhibitor switch and shifter that needed wiring-am still testing though-the gearbox does engage when put into gear although it may need a bit more oil, can anyone tell me how far to fill the transmission cold?-do I just fill it to the bottom of the filler plug?, will update after test drive - hopefully tomoz, thanks guys, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hey guys, got it sorted-thankyou Troyman it was the ignition switch wiring and SWC yea I do realize the BTR's are different in wiring but I left the harness fairly intact on the BA harness for the auto so it was mainly the inhibitor switch and shifter that needed wiring-am still testing though-the gearbox does engage when put into gear although it may need a bit more oil, can anyone tell me how far to fill the transmission cold?-do I just fill it to the bottom of the filler plug?, will update after test drive - hopefully tomoz, thanks guys, cheers, Johnny.

Just fill to the bottom of the plug as you have said, make sure the car is level. When you have it filled, run it through the gears till it is warm and check again.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]