18L/100km <----whats going on?!? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i should really invest in a multi meter. i had one but my dad blew it up somehow. dunno what the hell he did to it.

anyways. i just got another question. after driving the car for about 30 mins or so the needle on the temp gauge was above the C, and above the second notch, but was just above the curved rectangle notch type thing. in other words its about a quater up. is that normal or should the needle be at around half way up the scale?

thanks

phong

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Wasabi Gangsta Mobile

WA, Australia

A lot of other manufacturers cars sit half way but on an EA Falcon half way is not normal. Yours sounds fine

Supercar front & wing,Ghia bonnet & lights,XR skirts,17s,ABS,slotted rotors,race pads,low 2.5in,lovells springs,KYB shocks,fr camber kit,K&N,mandrel-bent straight-thru zorst,3.23LSD,neons,blue LED dash conversion,XR vents,v8 radiator,oil cooler,big stereo. Needs boost!

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Quote:
2qik Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of other manufacturers cars sit half way but on an EA Falcon half way is not normal. Yours sounds fine

Thanks mate. :)

i guess ill check out the oxy sensor with a multi meter. hmm is it best if i bought a new oxy sensor rather then a second hand one thats cheap?

phong

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Quote:
2qik Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks mate. :)

i guess ill check out the oxy sensor with a multi meter. hmm is it best if i bought a new oxy sensor rather then a second hand one thats cheap?

phong

Post subject: Re: 18L/100km <----whats going on?!?
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
heys everyone

ive posted one of these before but im too lazy to search for it in the forum.

Anywho my fuel economy is stuffed now. i dunno what wrong with it but it seems to drink a lot of petrol even though im not flooring the crap out of it. i keep revs below 2000 but at occasions i reach about 3000RPM.

on a full tank my trip computer says i can reach about 400 - 450. but my speedo says 350 at the moment. Trip computer says 17.8L/100km at the moment and it is rising

Ive changed the fuel pump and filter but haven't seen much differece. still gotta check sparkies and leads and maybe distributor cap.

I suspect a faulty O2 sensor and thats it. MAP sensor are new, temp sensors seem to show engine running at rite temp and thats all i probably know that could cause such bad fuel economy.

Could anyone help me please?!? Fuel prices have sky rocketed :(

(BTW i have a FORD EA GHIA 1989)

hi phongus

once again here is all the info i promised to u

sorry about the poor quality but im sure you will make good use of it

you can copy the files and save them in ur documents section on the pc, open programs/acceeeories/paint and edit the pics in the paint section enlarge or what ever takes ur fancy have fun

sorry its all in different postings as max pics is 3 per posting and didnt know how to do a PDF file

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

cool thanks mate. this will come in handy. =).

ill test it as soon as possible. gotta get a road worthy check first. changing owners from dad to me. what a ball breaker

thanks again FPV_GTp.

cya

phong

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:50 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
i should really invest in a multi meter. i had one but my dad blew it up somehow. dunno what the hell he did to it.

anyways. i just got another question. after driving the car for about 30 mins or so the needle on the temp gauge was above the C, and above the second notch, but was just above the curved rectangle notch type thing. in other words its about a quater up. is that normal or should the needle be at around half way up the scale?

thanks

phong

You should use an analogue voltmeter as it is easier to see the meeter needle sweeping between the O2 voltage limits as well as getting an value for those voltage limits - digital meeters an not so good for O2 checks :)

As for your temperature gauge, best to test the sensor. Remove it from the car, suspend it and a thermometer in a pan of water and heat it up measuring the resistance as the water heats to boiling point. Then compare your reading to the sensor specs found in the good ol' gregories manual. On the gauge side, you need to get a bunch of resistors from d**k smith (matching the specs in the gregories manual) and connect one resistor at a time between the temp sensor wire and an earth point - then turn on the ignition and check that the gauge pointer seems reasonable for the resistance value (=temperature) you used. This is the most accurate way of making sure the needle is not telling you porkies :)

As for why you use so much fuel, my money is on intake or exhaust leaks as FPV_GTp's said.

Cheers.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

how can i find out if i have any intake or exhaust leaks? cause i surely wouldn't have a damn clue. ive read somewhere that u use detergent i think it was or something and spray some on the intake and exhaust.

not too sure so if u could help it would be great =).

thanks

phong

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

sorry to post this again, since i did post this somewhere else.

since i took my car to get a RWC my car has been idling slightly rougher, and also petrol drinking like its been dehydrated.

they did something to the timing case. they put some orange glue to stop leaks, and the mechanic said they had to pull out the front of the engine to put it in. i dunno if they forgot to check if they plugged everything in. So far i know the MAP sensors are plugged in. what else do i have to check?

and how do i check for leaks in my intake and exhaust if it was the problem?

thanks everyone

phong

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

:cry:

Post subject: Re: 18L/100km <----whats going on?!?
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
heys everyone

ive posted one of these before but im too lazy to search for it in the forum.

Anywho my fuel economy is stuffed now. i dunno what wrong with it but it seems to drink a lot of petrol even though im not flooring the crap out of it. i keep revs below 2000 but at occasions i reach about 3000RPM.

on a full tank my trip computer says i can reach about 400 - 450. but my speedo says 350 at the moment. Trip computer says 17.8L/100km at the moment and it is rising

Ive changed the fuel pump and filter but haven't seen much differece. still gotta check sparkies and leads and maybe distributor cap.

I suspect a faulty O2 sensor and thats it. MAP sensor are new, temp sensors seem to show engine running at rite temp and thats all i probably know that could cause such bad fuel economy.

Could anyone help me please?!? Fuel prices have sky rocketed :(

(BTW i have a FORD EA GHIA 1989)

Hi

just let you know on the 31st/8/2005 i will have to delete the attachments as im nearly to the max on posting pictures so if you havent copied the info i suggest you do so :wink:

I need more attachment memmory for one of my little projects im working on :wink:

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:42 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

yeah i got the pics thanks mate, u can remove then :)

cya

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

To check the inlet manifold for a gaskit leak, grab a can on WD40 or similar, with the straw to focus the delivery, and spray near the gaskit, if the rev's pickup then there is a leak....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
To check the inlet manifold for a gaskit leak, grab a can on WD40 or similar, with the straw to focus the delivery, and spray near the gaskit, if the rev's pickup then there is a leak....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

thanks mate. ill give it a shot.

cya

phong

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

hey guys, sorry to butt in , but my car sprays out black smoke out my exhaust wen i boot it and does so till i let go off full throttle...i was wondering can that be oxy sensor? i dont have inlet leaks or exhaust leaks, this oxy sensor is 2nd hand we got it with the engine wen i bought it 2nd hand...i got the timing set at a auto elec and its still doign it, im not running advanced timings, im running normal timings, just getting black smoke spraying out till i back off...at first i thought my friends ment it was just a puff of black smoke, but its continous...does anyone know the direct problem? thanx!

- Grechie

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next