Fordmods Logo

18L/100km <----whats going on?!? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: 18L/100km <----whats going on?!?
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

heys everyone

ive posted one of these before but im too lazy to search for it in the forum.

Anywho my fuel economy is stuffed now. i dunno what wrong with it but it seems to drink a lot of petrol even though im not flooring the crap out of it. i keep revs below 2000 but at occasions i reach about 3000RPM.

on a full tank my trip computer says i can reach about 400 - 450. but my speedo says 350 at the moment. Trip computer says 17.8L/100km at the moment and it is rising

Ive changed the fuel pump and filter but haven't seen much differece. still gotta check sparkies and leads and maybe distributor cap.

I suspect a faulty O2 sensor and thats it. MAP sensor are new, temp sensors seem to show engine running at rite temp and thats all i probably know that could cause such bad fuel economy.

Could anyone help me please?!? Fuel prices have sky rocketed :(

(BTW i have a FORD EA GHIA 1989)

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:13 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

is it still stock? o2 sounds like a good option..
(speculative)

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

yeah its as stock as a rock. ive just replaced old parts with new ones. but fuel still giving the s**t.

when the car starts it shakes the whole car. so im not sure if that has to do with sparkies or leads. or anything else

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Post subject: Re: 18L/100km <----whats going on?!?
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
heys everyone

ive posted one of these before but im too lazy to search for it in the forum.

Anywho my fuel economy is stuffed now. i dunno what wrong with it but it seems to drink a lot of petrol even though im not flooring the crap out of it. i keep revs below 2000 but at occasions i reach about 3000RPM.

on a full tank my trip computer says i can reach about 400 - 450. but my speedo says 350 at the moment. Trip computer says 17.8L/100km at the moment and it is rising

Ive changed the fuel pump and filter but haven't seen much differece. still gotta check sparkies and leads and maybe distributor cap.

I suspect a faulty O2 sensor and thats it. MAP sensor are new, temp sensors seem to show engine running at rite temp and thats all i probably know that could cause such bad fuel economy.

Could anyone help me please?!? Fuel prices have sky rocketed :(

(BTW i have a FORD EA GHIA 1989)

hi

have you put the system in self test mode to extract any codes the system may have logged

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Last edited by FPV_GTp on Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

im still new to the coding stuff and so i dunno what u meant by self test mode FPV_GTp. is it going to be easy for me to do since im new or should i look for the more easy suspects for this problem?

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

have yu tried a new air filter? sometimes the worst problems have the easiest solutions

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Post subject: self test to extract codes from a FORD EA
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
im still new to the coding stuff and so i dunno what u meant by self test mode FPV_GTp. is it going to be easy for me to do since im new or should i look for the more easy suspects for this problem?

hi

Self Test Procedure

its a lenghty procedure and there is a few things you need to know (ie LED test light , analog multi meter read the instructions first before buying any tools ) will photo copy and scan the pages of the information and post it in here

otherwsie if you have a spare approximately $70 you can buy the manaul from bursons or repco " EFI and engine management " by Gregorys volume one covers alot of cars from 1980 to 1990 you may have to buy a few tools as well

if you dont want to spend that sort of money you could try some librarys in your local area just a thought

try and do the posting in the next few days

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Last edited by FPV_GTp on Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

does the gregory manual have the steps in it? cause i was going to buy a gregorys book. it helped me with lots of other stuff. but i never wanted to touch the inside of the engine and ECU. but if u could scan it for me that would be great. then i at least know how to do something for sure. thanks FPV_GTp :D

By the way the Airfilter is clean, nothing blocking or anything. thanks NC 5ltr :D

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
does the gregory manual have the steps in it? cause i was going to buy a gregorys book. it helped me with lots of other stuff. but i never wanted to touch the inside of the engine and ECU. but if u could scan it for me that would be great. then i at least know how to do something for sure. thanks FPV_GTp :D

By the way the Airfilter is clean, nothing blocking or anything. thanks NC 5ltr :D

hi

the gregorys manual that im talking about is only to do with the engine management ( EFI ) side of things show how to perfer test procedure and test sensors manually if you havent got exspensive test equipment.

cya

Last edited by FPV_GTp on Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:18 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 EL GLi Falcon

VIC, Australia

Not trying to "steal" the thread, but looking through this, it looks like I'm having basically the same problem, guzzling fuel round town, not too bad on the highway.

Is it worth going to Bursons and for $80 just changing the oxy sensor? I've changed just about everything else that'd usually cause problems, so it really has to be the oxy sensor right? BTW, Ford want $140 trade!

Wolfpac

Hot Chilli Red EL, Doof, Vrooom and Sittin' Low, the way it should be!

Post subject: check oxygen sensor
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wolfpac_w wrote:
I'm having basically the same problem, guzzling fuel round town, not too bad on the highway.

Is it worth going to Bursons and for $80 just changing the oxy sensor? I've changed just about everything else that'd usually cause problems, so it really has to be the oxy sensor right? BTW, Ford want $140 trade!

Wolfpac

hi

you maybe right but hey there are alot of other things it could be

test the oygen sensor with a multimeter

the sensor cycles between 5 to 6 times a second between 0.3 volts to 0.7 volts

if the senosr is stuck at either one end or the other end of the scale you have to see why

example if you have a upstream exhaust leak it will be drawing in air through the exhaust passing the oxygen sensor and it will be reading a lean situation 0.1 to 0.2 volts

on the other end of the scale if you have high fuel pressure than normal or a slight inlet manifold leak which affects what the map sensor is reading the injectors will flow more fuel through them which will give you a rich situation the oxygen sensor will sit around 0.8 volts to 0.9 volts and in both causes the oygen sensor is not the cuase of his high fuel consumption.

0 volts ..................................... 0.5 V ..................................... 1 volt
!............................................... ! ............................................ !
Lean ..................................... normal ..................................... Rich

Oxygen sensors do have a life span ??

cya

Last edited by FPV_GTp on Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:49 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 EL GLi Falcon

VIC, Australia

Now that's an explination, FPV_GTp! :D Thanks for laying that all out.

I wouldn't think it'd be an exhaust leak, it's barely a 2 yr old 2.5" exhaust with paccies...

It's looking as though it's a inlet manifold leak. Then again, that could be right off too apparently... Ok, I'm confused! But thanks for expaining it, FPV_GTp.

Maybe the oxy sensor has given up the ghost, it would now be nearly 180,000 k's old... :? I'm not really into multimeters and the like... :lol:

Wolfpac

Hot Chilli Red EL, Doof, Vrooom and Sittin' Low, the way it should be!

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:37 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

my oxy sensor is like probably as old as the car and has never been replaced. i wouldn't know. but i will change it if its broken.

Post subject: Re: check oxygen sensor
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Without tring to be picky here, there are 1000 milliVolts to the volt. The readings he should be seeing are in the 100's of mV, in your example 300 to 700mV or 0.3 to 0.7 volts.

Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Post subject: Re: check oxygen sensor
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twason wrote:
Without tring to be picky here, there are 1000 milliVolts to the volt. The readings he should be seeing are in the 100's of mV, in your example 300 to 700mV or 0.3 to 0.7 volts.

Cheers
TW.

hi

yes you are correct i will correct my posting where i said 3 millivolts i should of said 300 millivolts to represent 0.3 volts and so on , sorry for the error and well picked up twason thank you :wink: :lol: :oops:

0.3 volts = 300 millivolts (factor by 1000th )

my error

cya

Last edited by FPV_GTp on Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next