Fordmods Logo

? 1997 EL Gli with a 74litre Fuel tank. Can this be right? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Lol, i always think mines less that 68L as i let it run down till red light came on couple of times, not on purpose really but i go fill up n only get like 40L in n i think wtf, light is meant to come on with last 10L left in tank...

I dont think they can be that accurate unless driving at constant speed/enviroment.

I fill mine to the 2nd click n have shown only 68L in there also.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

my dad borrow'd my EL ,Well i took his AU fairlane ghia for a few days and when i gave his car back he asked how big the tank was and i told him 68L , his reply was s**t - try 72L's
so it goes with out a doubt that the tanks are bigger than what they claim to be ..................

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Post subject: Re: ? 1997 EL Gli with a 74litre Fuel tank. Can this be righ
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
I thought I would activate the Diagnostic dash mode on my EL the other day as I was getting low on fuel and didn't know exactly how low as being a GLI and all I dont have the Trip and Fuel display. So anyway I pressed the button until I got to the Fuel mode at No7. So I find I am running at about 20litreas left So I think f**k it I will go to the Servo and fill it up all the way. I click off twice at the Bowsar and go pay for it come back and to go drive away and I notice that the Fuel reading has gone up to 74litres instead of what I thought would be 68litres. Could I have a bigger fuel tank than normal or is the reading out :?:

could it be possible that it has been replaced with a fuel tank of a wagon coz they are 72ltr

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

1. You can fill up more than the factory spec says - it just backs up towards the fuel filler nozzle.
2. Never take the fuel bowser's figures seriously. Fuel bowser's are like dyno's in regard to their individualness as well as some being completely out of tolerance / calibration. In the past as well there have been many documented cases of tampering by the service station to show more litres / dollars provided than it actually has.
This is fact.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Vic wrote:
1. You can fill up more than the factory spec says - it just backs up towards the fuel filler nozzle.
2. Never take the fuel bowser's figures seriously. Fuel bowser's are like dyno's in regard to their individualness as well as some being completely out of tolerance / calibration. In the past as well there have been many documented cases of tampering by the service station to show more litres / dollars provided than it actually has.
This is fact.

Yeah there was something about that on Today Tonight last night and how some Servo pumps are ripping off people big time. I think I might have a 72itre tank as the previous owner of my Falcon was an Interstate Sales Rep. So he might of got a bigger tank added cause he also got AirCon, ABS and Cruise Control added as the original Gli's never came with any of that.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:53 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Vic wrote:
This is fact.

Yeah there was something about that on Today Tonight last night and how some Servo pumps are ripping off people big time.

Yeh, there are problems with some servos but it is a very small percentage and by no means a huge issue. As for 'today tonight' that has to be the worst current affair program (term used very loosly) on TV. TT didn't say anything about what sort of errors they were seeing and whether any specific action was being taken against any servos. TT just tried to make people feel they were being ripped off and then finished with a d**k 'swing and roundabout' statement. Crap show really.
In any case, it would not surprise me if pump errors amount to one teaspoon per litre, still wrong but hardly the huge issue that impacts how much fuel ends up in you car.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I'm not basing the bowser tampering on any recent current affairs show, I'm basing it on the last 16 years and all the news items that have been written up in the papers since I got my license. Those unscrupulous service station owners have not just been a small handful found in a small area, they have been exposed all over the nation and the amounts of fuel shown on the bowser have at times been out by litres - which is one of the ways they got caught, being greedy and thinking drivers wouldn't notice. Besides if they weren't being sneaky we wouldn't have had intervention by the Dept of Fair Trading and regular snap inspections checking to see that we really do get all the fuel the pump says it gave us.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

My car had been on the light for a few days, so i put the dash in diag mode, and went to the fuel, it said i had 2 litres left, so i drove to work (servo) and on the way it kept dipping down into the 0 litres remaining. Yet i could only fit 60 litres in the tank. Wouldnt it reading low just be a safety thing? so your light comes on earlier rather than later?

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Vic wrote:
This is fact.

Yeah there was something about that on Today Tonight last night and how some Servo pumps are ripping off people big time. I think I might have a 72itre tank as the previous owner of my Falcon was an Interstate Sales Rep. So he might of got a bigger tank added cause he also got AirCon, ABS and Cruise Control added as the original Gli's never came with any of that.

Sorry, that sounds far fetched, why would anyone go to the trouble of fitting a larger fuel tank and then only gain 4 litres! You can't just stick a wagon tank into a sedan, so it would have to been a custom job.
As many have already said you can squeeze more into the tank.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I filled up a lancer 1/4 full already they have a 30L tank max, with 40L of fuel, so I said I aint paying 40, you can have 20, and get the pumped check, they agreed so all was good, but it pays to know what fits in ya tank.

I used to put 68L in my 63L XF sedan tank all the time.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i thnk i read in the diagnotics doco thingy that the level is unbuffered....so its all over the place...have u tired the buffered one?

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

mitch_anderson wrote:
i thnk i read in the diagnotics doco thingy that the level is unbuffered....so its all over the place...have u tired the buffered one?

Which mode is that one Mitch. I have been using Mode 7. I filled it up today and it said it had 74litres again. But then I noticed that as I drove out of the Servo it said I used a Litre of fuel driving out and went down to 73litres???. So I think the actual reading is not overall refective of the tank capacity.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

1 Petrol in Litres (No Level Buffering) Petrol Sender Resistance (Unbuffered)
2 Coolant Temperature (Degrees C)
3 Engine RPM Vehicle Speed (KM/H)
4 Oil Pressure (Bar, 1 decimal Point) Battery Voltage (Volts)
5 Instant Fuel Consumption (L/100Km) Instant Fuel Consumption (x 0.1 Litres)
6 Fuel used since Trip Avg L/100 Reset (x 0.1L)
This Value is used to calculate the Trip computer Average Fuel consumption L/100Km Kms Travelled since Trip Avg L/100 Reset
7 Buffered Fuel Tank Level (In Litres)
Value used for Petrol Gauge Buffered Fuel Tank Lever Sender Resistance
8 Gear Position (PNRD321)
9 Unknown - 256 Unknown - Varies from 00, 01, 02
10 Unknown - 81 Unknown - 00
11 0000 1100
12 1111 0000
13 0000 0000
14 00
15 00
16 00
17 Illuminates all segments Illuminates all Segments
18 Blank Odometer Screen Blank Odometer Screen

ure using the correct one...
i think that maybe the senders for the wagons and the sedans are all the same...so its set to the wagon capacity...cause rember that it normally displays it analoge...

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Then again though the dash Analogue Fuel Gauge always shows the Needle partly over the full mark when I completely fill it up. But yeah I am going by the Buffered reading on #7. Maybe it has the 72litre tank I am thinking now. f**k it I should just run her dry one day just to really find out!!. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: fuel tank
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ba xr8 falcon

NSW, Australia

hey, yeah can some gli's have 72ltr or even 80ltrs. if it's an ex cop car like my ef gli it'll either have 72 or 80ltr.
tis a bastard to fill up from empty when using premium :x

http://www.bossv8dragracing.net
BOSS V8 Drag Racing. Proudly sponsored by Pole Position Images,Autobarn Bankstown BA XR8

S/F 1943
Street fighter winner, round 3 Sydney Dragway track championship 2009/10
3rd place overall in Street Fighter class Sydney Dragway track championship 2009/10

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next