Fordmods Logo

6 cyl petrol economy questions 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 6 cyl petrol economy questions
Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i've calculated that my 5 speed EA drinks around 20L per 100kms ( 1L per 5kms). This is in city driving, turning engine on/off etc.

I'm wondering how to get better economy out of her. PLEASE dont say drive slower etc because those figures are conservative driving with only the occasional spurt.

I've heared better sparks and leads for LPG, would the same apply for petrol? What else is there i can do?

Car at the moment just has a 2.5 cat back, but I have a cam going in this friday coming up and extractors sitting here ready to get put in. I've heared mixed feedback about 'performance mods', some saying it increases consumption while others report savings since the falcon feeds plenty of fuel in stock.

Any ideas would be great.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

get ya injectors cleaned profesionally or fuel injecter cleaner, or metho/kero and and ATF fluid,,

to get good fuel econmy nothing really beats a nice clean filter clean fuel filter system..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

CFI or MPEFI?

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

how many k's

also check all filters particularly air,

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EA MPI manual

to clean the injectors is that just the stuff that you put in the fuel tank when you fill up? mix it in and it cleans as the fuel goes through?

i'll be replacing the filter with a pod so that should take care of the intake side of things..

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

SA, Australia

speaking of fuel consumption does anyone know what a ba 6cyl xt should get. Is 11.5 - 12L per 100kms the norm around town driving easy?

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '79 XD Falcon Wagon

VIC, Australia

Extractors WILL help, as long as you drive the car the same way.

Cam, well it depends which cam, some of the mild aftermarket cams will help, but if you're installing a performance cam to help make more power, it'll probably make it more thirsty. So which cam are you considering dropping in?

How long since the engine had a proper service and tune-up? Sparks, oil, all filters, timing, etc?

http://www.xfords.com

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

au2man wrote:
speaking of fuel consumption does anyone know what a ba 6cyl xt should get. Is 11.5 - 12L per 100kms the norm around town driving easy?

yeah, i get 12.5 normally

mystery wrote:
i'll be replacing the filter with a pod so that should take care of the intake side of things..

make sure it's getting clean cold air, otherwise you will notice a DECREASE in fuel economy.
Good gains are also made using the XH snorkel in the standard box. breaths a lot easier.
20L per 100 is very high!!
thats gotta hurt the back pocket with the current fuel prices!!!

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

has anyone got the ford part number for the largest air intake snorkel that will fit into my ba air box? I know its listed somewhere but im buggered if i can find it. must be getting to bloody old. Has any body noticed better fuel economy by fitting a k&n filter to their stock air box in a ba or is that just another waste of money?

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yeh well with the pod setup im going it should be breathing real easy... xh snorkel into el airbox with a 3 inch pipe to the bottom of the car.. maybe a bit of overkill but will sort the breathing out none the less.

cam is a camtech stage 1 which gives gains from around 2k till redline, a fair bit of torque though.

I has the car serviced around 4-5 months ago but i don't think he changed the spark plugs, just the oil filters. timing i know not much about... be a good idea to fit new spark plugs? which brand/model to go?

thanks...

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

mystery wrote:
yeh well with the pod setup im going it should be breathing real easy... xh snorkel into el airbox with a 3 inch pipe to the bottom of the car.. maybe a bit of overkill but will sort the breathing out none the less.

cam is a camtech stage 1 which gives gains from around 2k till redline, a fair bit of torque though.

I has the car serviced around 4-5 months ago but i don't think he changed the spark plugs, just the oil filters. timing i know not much about... be a good idea to fit new spark plugs? which brand/model to go?

thanks...

NGK plugs only way to go

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

mystery wrote:

thanks...
Cam sounds like a good choice, driven sensibly (not like you stole it) should help econ.

If all they did was change the oil filter then it wasn't a proper service, they should have changed all the filters (air, oil, fuel), and for a proper service at least checked the spark plugs and most likely changed them, as well as checking the timing and leads.

Certainly wouldn't do any harm to pull out the plugs and replace them with a set of NGKs, when you've got the old plugs out that will tell you a lot about how the engine was running, take a picture of them as soon as they come out and put it up here so we can have a look.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

alright thanks for the advice man.

yeh the mechanic is just a mate of my dads who had a look at the car when i bought it, only thing he really did was change the rear brake pads but for 100 bux i can't really complain..

is there a doco on how to change plugs? i have the manual for the ea falcon but it doesn't really elaborate on it much. How much am i looking at for some ngks and are they available from repco/supercheap? i take it to fit an ea falcon right?

also i've not much idea how to replace the fuel and oil filters i have no idea where they are located.

how do i check the timing?

and how do i replace the leads?

thanks very much for the help.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Plugs and leads are easy, just do them one at a time. You'll need a spark plug socket or spanner, and that's the extent of the tools you'll need, although a torque wrench would be a good idea so you can get them all done up to the same torque as per specs (sorry, will have to look that up, don't know off the top of my head).

Sparkies should be available anywhere that sells automotive bits, just ask for a set of NGKs for an EA. Same with leads, certainly won't hurt to change them if you don't know how good the ones you've got now are, but they may not need to be changed. I'd change them anyway.

When changing the spark plugs, this is how I do it. I disconnect the lead to the first plug (it just pulls off), then clean all around the spark plug to make sure there is nothing that will fall in once you remove the plug. Remove the plug, put the new plug in, and tighten it, then put the lead back on it. Continue by working your way from the front of the engine to the back until they're all done.

Same sort of story with the leads, to replace them, do one at a time, working from the front lead, removing that, fitting the new one, then the 2nd from the front, etc, until all done.

Oil filter, I'll get a picture and put it up, it's easy to change too, not sure about the fuel filter on an EA, someone will have to educate us both there, lol.

Timing is best checked with a timing light, they usually come with instructions on how to use them.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

alright well the spark plugs and leads seem pretty simple and i doubt they've been changed in a good while. bit like a light globe i gather?

and the leads would be comparable to say speaker wiring? unbolt/bolt on?

just trying to make this easy as possible for me since i dont wanna root anything to do with the engine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next