Aftermarket ecu's.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Aftermarket ecu's..
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

Just wondering, im in the prcess of hunting down all the parts required to person a turbo setup on my el xr8. But have stumbled accross a hurdle, if i go a full aftermarket ems, would EVERYTHING on the car still work? Ie. all the electricals like dash, cruise, so forth?

Or would it be just as wise, or even wiser to for an aftermarket fuel management-only computer?

Either way, it will have to be fully compatible with a turboed el xr8.

Any suggestions/recommendations/prices, etc ?

Cheers guys.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

The art of it is to have the aftermarket ECU live in harmony with EEC...

For example, EEC is required to drive the information on the dashboard...

So you need to look at what needs what... aftermarket ECU needs to take control of injectors and spark timing.. and few other things like idle speed, thermo fans... EEC needs a tacho signal, coolant temp signal etc etc.

If you plan on keeping stuff like EGR and carbon cannister operational, you'll still need the MAF hooked up to EEC (chances are the aftermarket ECU will use a MAP sesnor).

Its all fairly logical... but you really need to research how EEC works.... before you go trying to butcher the EFI system....

A couple of guys on here that come to mind are CHEF and Waggin, who have successfully done this. Ive done a lot of research into the matter but havent attempted the practical side of things...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

The EMS, and other aftermarket engine management will be wired in parallel with the factory EEC. The aftermarket one will handle all the engine related stuff while the factory EEC will run the dash, trans, A/C etc.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Hmmm, this whole turbo project thing is getting way out of hand!
..But i wont be deterred! Something ive wanted to do for a long time, and now that ive got the opportunity to.. i will! :)

So will ALL aftermarket computers run parallel to the factory EEC, or will some replace it completely?

More importantly, i want something of decent quality, but nothing too fancy if you get me, just want something that will do the job properly and efficiently, with decent tuning options

Would i be better off running a fuel-only computer with a second set of injectors, kicking in when boost on turbo is reached?

Or just a computer that controls both? Cos wouldnt cold start and all that be affected with an whole new computer?

Any recommendations on specific brands/products either way?

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

No do it properly and get a full aftermarket computer, not just a fuel only system. EMS 8860 is a decent unit with plenty of features and good price. And yes all computers will be wired in parallel on late model cars otherwise you won't get all your other non-engine related things running, its a fairly simple process which any installer/tuner will be familiar with.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
No do it properly and get a full aftermarket computer, not just a fuel only system. EMS 8860 is a decent unit with plenty of features and good price. And yes all computers will be wired in parallel on late model cars otherwise you won't get all your other non-engine related things running, its a fairly simple process which any installer/tuner will be familiar with.

Phew!! Thats a relief mate, music to my ears! :)
That was my main concern, to keep EVERYTHING functioning!

But yeah, ive heard about that 8860, what are they worth?
And where would be the best/cheapest place to get one? (trying to stay on budget!!)
Preferebaly local to sydney or australia somewhere..

Last edited by Bassfreak55 on Thu May 26, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Might wanna have a squiz at this thread:

http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7314

As for getting the 8860 - pretty much any performance workshop should be able to get one for you... about $1200 IIRC.... + install + tuning (i.e. dyno time)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah around $2k once installed and tuned, it is one of the cheapest aftermarket systems but still has tons of features and tuning resolution. Still doesn't have sequential injection for the V8s but that will be in a future software update. Check out http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/HomePage.htm for dealers and features etc

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Hopefully you have read my sticky.
But in summary.

I would have a look at a Haltech EX6 ($1600), it won't do the sequential injection. But neither does anyting else until you get to a Motec M48 (currently about $2100) or Autronic $?????.

I haven't seen any prices for an EMS less than $1600. And personally after reading their forum there is alot of frustrated users out there waiting 2 years already for their 'sequential upgrade'.
CAPA sells some ecu's and loom stuff if you want to check out their website. I reccomend going to a particular ECU manufactuer's website and download their software, see if you like it.

Otherwise EX6 will go well or if you really want sequential injection you won't look back from the motec -having used an M4 and M800 they are just fantastic and nearly indestructable. Although you do pay for it.

One more thing only a Motec M400, M600 and M800 can read a MAF sensor but there is not much point.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

when mine goes it, (let to order it) im getting a EMS, (not the stinger one) .. it will be about $1000, (install myself) but then dyno tuning on top of that

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]