Ahh LPG system backfiring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Ahh LPG system backfiring
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

HI all, just recently i purchased at set of LPG spec Ford factory spark plugs which are from a MKii BA XR6 T. Now even thou i changed them over, before i did this the car still backfired but not as often thou.

So my question is why is the LPG suddenly backfiring more than it usually does :? Its annoying and it cant be good for the converter. I cant get the car checked out till next week either :(

Some help and theories would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Andrew

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

WHAT GAP ARE THE PLUGS SET AT :?: HAVE U TRIED NEW LEADS :?:

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

ebxmple wrote:
WHAT GAP ARE THE PLUGS SET AT :?: HAVE U TRIED NEW LEADS :?:

AFAIK, with the Iridium ones there ment to be wrecked it you try changing the gap, at least that's teh deal according to NGK.
Backfiring usually happens for me when there's something wrong with my ignition. Check all your leads, maybe ones not fitted on well or damaged inside - might of happened when you pulled it off or fitted it back on.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah im thinking the same. I probally need to replace all the leads afterall :( aww well gives me a reason to get my 10mm leads now! Ah ha ha.

I got a quote on them and it was gonna set me back a pretty penny oh well. But yer my theory is that i think ive damaged my leads as i tried to take them off during the changing of the spark plugs. :evil:

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

you dont need 10mm leads

check the gap, as i had to regap my plugs when i got mine.

get queensland ignition spiral core leads or eagle f1 spiral core leads (9mm+ in variety of colours)

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah ive got Eliminator series 9mm spiral cores now, which yeah are eagle ones. :) But i definately need to replace them me thinks. um just a question how do i gap the spark plugs, lol never done it before and with the Ford iridiums what gap should they be at for LPG spec.. I only assumed they were correct in the first place, but obviously not.

Thanks peeps

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bump; any one out thier that can help? LOL :(

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Yeah ive got Eliminator series 9mm spiral cores now, which yeah are eagle ones. :) But i definately need to replace them me thinks. um just a question how do i gap the spark plugs, lol never done it before and with the Ford iridiums what gap should they be at for LPG spec.. I only assumed they were correct in the first place, but obviously not.

Thanks peeps

Get yourself a set of feeler gauges. Repco sell a nice set of ABW ones for about 20 bucks.

I'm not sure what the exact gap on an LPG 6 cylinder is... i imagine it's somewhere around 1mm to 1.1mm but you should look this up.

Basically get a selection of feeler gauges to make up the desired gap... for example, there may be a 0.5mm and 0.6mm gauge... combined these make up 1.1mm when placed together. You should be able to fit these inside the gap of the plug, with a small amount of friction. If they are too losse, the gap needs closing - if too tight then the gap needs opening.

Yeah, most plugs come pre-gapped... but whether they are pre gapped to the gap you are looking for is a different story. They can also be bent in transit.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay thanks for that Martin, so if the spark plugs are already pre gaped then thier not much i can do is thier? I mean a simple change over of leads SHOULD do the trick but you never know mabe it is the plugs :?

I still do believe its the leads thou as they are loose fitting on the spark plugs which would suggest the top of the plug and the end of the leads arent getting the correct contact.

But yeah ive sourced a guy near Victor who does up hot rods etc and is a really good LPG specilist so i will be taking my car to him, see if he can get the LPG system going as good as the petrol. :)

Thanks again

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Backfiring in LPG is usualy caused by poor ignition components. Plugs should be replaced every 20,000 kms, and leads should be replaced at least once a year.

Might I suggest that you use Autolite #985's. they are actualy for the Dodge Viper, but work wonders for the I6's. LPG gap setting 0.9 mm. Check out www.noelsautoparts.com.au. They post out. About $35 per set. I don't use anything else.

Also a set of leads from a crowd here in Vic called AMR. They are in Oakleigh. They are stainless steel wound leads, and the low resistance has to be seen to be believed!. About 25% of any ather ignition lead I have seen. They are expensive, ($80 odd per set) but the difference is remarkable: smoother idle, better starting, better running. Again I don't use anything else!

And no, I don't work for either of them :)

Post subject: back fire
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Typhoon

WA, Australia

i wld say its your plugs reset the gap usually when gas cars backfire its usually the plugs or the coil pack but in your case probly plugs as for the plugs you brought they are diffrent plug from the xr6 turbo and the gas plugs for the gas i6 meanin the BA engine the gas plugs withstand more heat the turbo ones also withstand huge heat but not as much so i wld get the proper gas ones and set the gap correcly and u sld be fine

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Okay well thanks for that, hmm well if i cant re-gap these plugs then i guess i have to buy a new set. Ne way i will just take the car to this guy and see what he thinks i should do. But thats not till next week so untill then looks like i pay for expensive fuel lol :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]