Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Air/Fuel Meters
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Hey guys,

Im not sure if this is the right section or not but is kind of fuel ralated somewhat..

I was just wondering how to go about installing an air/fuel meter in my EF. Im looking into fitting one, not because of the rice factor or anything, more so to make sure the mixtures are where they are supposed to be as the car gets future mods i.e bigger camshaft, possibly a raptor blower, extra fueling and tuning etc. Im thinking that running an air/fuel meter straight off the standard o2 sensor wont really be that accurate, so im guessing i'll need a wideband sensor or is there a way of getting it to read accurately without one? From my understanding running it off the standard o2 sensor, it would be bouncing from lean to rich back and forth over and over as the stock o2 sensor only reads low voltages. Is that correct or am i completely off track? Also does anyone have a part number or brand of a wideband sensor that would fit?

Cheers.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Post subject: Re: Air/Fuel Meters
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:19 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i have a afr gauge conected to the std o2 sensor and while cruisin its not really acurate (fluctuating up and down)but under load and full throttle it works quite well..
as far as im concerned its good enough to get an idea if im running lean or rich at full throttle..

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
i have a afr gauge conected to the std o2 sensor and while cruisin its not really acurate (fluctuating up and down)but under load and full throttle it works quite well..
as far as im concerned its good enough to get an idea if im running lean or rich at full throttle..

Thanks Troyman, thats all i really needed to know. Although it would be good to have it working all the time and not bouncing up and down, I was only intending to have it read accurately when i push the car i.e full throttle, to make sure its not leaning out at high revs, cause i occasionally push it quite hard at times :P

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You'll need a wideband sensor if you want a useful display for yourself to read. The narrowband sensor/s that come as standard are barely sufficient for the ECU to make its decisions.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF futura 96

QLD, Australia

during cruise or closed loop the gauge will never be constant because the ecu is always leaning and riching the mixture over and over in quick succession (like a dog chasing its own tail).

Full throttle or open loop you will find the (stock) ecu fuel maps will rarely run lean (mine is always full rich with a warm cam)(notice all the dyno charts people post with their cams and fuel mix is always around 10's and 11's). I installed a jaycar meter because I initially had the same concerns when i put in the cam. Also for the novelty factor of seeing how the stock computer works (e.g at what times that it shuts off the injectors)

When you force feed the engine, the tuners will do the mixtures so no real need for a meter then. They're still pretty useful though, mine reads the output from the sensor (0 to 1 volt output) every one tenth of a volt, not entirely accurate but pretty good.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Just get a proper wideband kit :P
guages on narrow bands are stupid.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

I run an Innovate wideband kit. It works really well and is relatively easy to install if you can solder and use a test light.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks for the input everyone.

Have been looking at the Innovate wideband gear for a while now Scaffy, was wondering if they are any good. Would i have to buy a whole kit for it to work properly though? i.e wbo2 sensor, wiring and controller, gauge/display, or can i get away with just installing the wbo2 sensor and use the stock cabling, then splice into correct wire on the sensor wiring to run the guage?

Im guessing ill need a whole kit as the sensor has 5 wires rather than 3 on the stock sensor though so i might just ditch this idea altogether :lol: seeing as its only just to get an idea of what the ratio's are like at different revs

Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

get an innovate guage and wideband sensor,all you need is the wideband and guage.i use and recommend innovate

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

so ur saying is the inovative sensor and any guage will work ?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I recommend the TechEdge gear http://www.wbo2.com, and offer a tuning kit with a J3 & Programmer along with a TechEdge wideband and display.

I removed the Innovate gear from my car and switched to the TechEdge a while ago. Both work pretty well, however the TechEdge software is a lot more flexible and pretty though :) Plus, the TechEdge does 4 channels of logging + WB02 controller in one tiny box -- you have to run a SSI-4 + LC-1 to do this with the innovate gear, and its a fair bit of wiring. Also, some functions in the SSI-4 just plain dont work, and noone from Innovate was willing to assist me (let alone offer refund for a product not doing what it was intended to do).

For anyone who already has one of our J3 kits, I can offer a discounted price on the TechEdge kit we sell, which includes the sensor, 2J1 controller/logger, and the LD02 digital display.

If you cant afford a wideband a narrowband gauge is still very useful. Despite the sensor only having a hard switch around stoich there are some intelligent gauges which can focus on the switch point and provide better resolution to indicate where and when you run lean. It's a lot better than not having any indication of whats going on.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers guys :)

I think for now i might just go with a narrowband gauge, just to get an idea of how things work.

Didnt know you guys did the wideband kits aswell galapogos, definately something to think about if my future mods go to plan as i may be needing a J3 chip 8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]