Post subject: Another ECU thread from SVO XR6 :D
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

hi ladies

As some of you know i run a EMS 8860

It is 80% tuned atm, it idles good (for a big cam), it cruises good ( around 9L's per 100ks at cruise) and it pokes when poked

Im still slowly bumping up the timing across the bord and atm im running 39* @ cruise and 33* wot. Im confident i can go as far as 43* @ cruise and 39* at wot

I have the fueling close too, 15.6-15.2 @ cruise(needs a lil more fuel as it is cammed), 12.8-13.4 @ wot. The WOT A/F seems to make ok power and is safe, but if i lean it out it seems to loose power and chough/spit a bit, mainly tho accel and lower rpm WOT.
The prob im having is it blows a bit of fuel smoke when i plant me foot, all the way tho 0kpa or wot. Its not the tps/fuel inrichment or anything as it even does it with it turned to 0. So im stumped...
The ignition system is tip top ( i may recheck the leads) but i cant think of any other reason why it would be doing this....???

pls help

fanks

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

not exactly on the topic of your ECU... most of what you said just then was jibberish to me!

but saw your car on sat? night, on thomas street heading towards kings park.... was next to you at a set of lights.. couldnt see any fuel smoke, maybe thats cause you were about 100m ahead of me after about 10 seconds :P

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ahh k, yeah i remember been there. I was "tooohin" then too...
I need someone to follow me to help me out and see when it blows smoke

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Firstly I wouldn't really call 13.4:1 @ WOT that safe, normally most tuners I have seen target 13:1 max and at this level it seems to make good power. 15's at cruise is also a little lean but it would be pretty good for economy.

As for the smoke, are you sure its fuel related? Usually you won't see fuel smoke until you are really quite rich (11-12:1 AF). How many kms has your engine got on it? a little blowby smoke is quite normal on most engines especially at WOT.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i mean 13.4 @ 1500rpm/0kpa but up to 12.8 @ 5500rpm @ 0kpa

the motor has done 120000k's and yes im sure its fuel smoke

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Is one injector/ cylinder getting more or less fuel than the other? Sounds like your running fairly lean overall, so it must be some form of inconsistancy across the cylinders or an overall poor combustion due to other mods.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

im not sure ay.

The injectors are newish, the ports are matched... so i dunno if it is to do with that.

and how do you mean its running fairly lean over all? in what aspect?

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I think what spork means is that on average your engine is running lean. But perhaps a cylinder is running rich, blowing smoke.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ahh k.

I do get mixed reviews, ei wagggins NA set up was leaner then mine and a few other ppl have said to me to lean out my car... :?
but on the other hand ppl say to me to richen it up :? :?

Im fairly sure there all the same, but what could cause on cylinder to become richer?
There all wired the same, there isnt any vairiance between banks and the injectors are fairly new, did it with my old ones too...?

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I was just explaining Spork's idea. And richening or leaning, it's all what you want, hence a customizeable ECU? If you're that concerned dyno tune it. Running slightly rich is ok, fords came factory with this great feature... but running lean, problems might start to arise.

The only thing I could think of to make one cylinder run richer, is a leaking injector..maybe?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

the customizeable ecu is due to cam and heapd work that dont work withthe std ecu, also with a torbo setup later down the track.

It can be run lean ish at cruise to keep the fuel bill down, and untill it starts to run rough. Ive had it 55kpa/1500 rpm (cruise ish) and at 16.2:1 and it was still sommth but ive pumped a lil more fuel in to keep temps down and on the safe side. There are ppl running up to 16.8:1 @ cruise and 14.7:1 at wot with the same motor, other stuff ive read and been told.
It is quite hard ot know what to do as everyone sais something else, so trial and error have become my friends.

But there are always hurdles, mainly coz im not a EFI hero....wich i was :)

lol

thanks for the replys

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

I have got a great book "How to tune and modify engine management systems" -Try the pitstop book shop in the city they should have it.

That will make you an EFI Guru!

But anyway to condense 200 pages into a few lines.

You engine will make similar power over a reasonably wide range. Tuners call this "lean best torque" and "rich best torque" Obviously lean best torque saves fuel but it's also alot more risky with bad fuel and hi temps etc. Lean best torque is usually around 13:1 Rich best torque is ususally around 12:1. 95% of engines will make peak power around 12.5:1 at WOT. (turbo needs much richer even 11:1)

So that's really where you want to be, since really you don't care about fuel economy at WOT (becasue your only there for a few sec) its best to keep it rich there for safety. The EMS doesn't have any form of knock sensing so that makes it doubaly important to keep it rich.

Really just get a book and read it since it all gets rather complicated when you start playing with spark timing, which also affects mixtures.

But what is most important is that you only tune WOT on the dyno, you just cant do it on the road without knock detection and the ability to hold the engine at whatever RPM you want. And MEASURE you changes on exhaust gas temp, torque etc.

Then move down from WOT and tune that section on the road.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah, ive been told that book was quite good, mite go n get it ;)

THanks for all the advice

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Your smoke could be detonation related... Ive had all sorts of different smoke blowing out of mine and Ive noticed that if its too far advanced it will blow smoke while detonating ( how my motor hangs together I dont know hehe). So yeah, as spork says, tune WOT on a dyno with a knock sensor... you can hire dynos and tune yourself... that was one thing I was gonna ask you yesterday, what you were using as knock sensing, ears like me I spose- not the best way...
You wouldnt be running uneven AF ratios accross your injs unless it was running them in sequential, but one thing that can make this occure is the fuel rail getting uneven pressure towards one end... this is common with higher power WRXs as they can lean some cyls with the stock rails.

Another smoke issue could be slightly worn rings, even though 120ks is low, its not uncommom... Ive rooted new motors in 5000 kays as a result of detonation.
I'd richen it up a bit as even at cruise revs you dont want it running too lean as the chambers will get very hot and detonate very quickly

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ooops double post

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 8  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next