Fordmods Logo

another lpg thread 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: another lpg thread
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

hey guys
looking at getting installed a omvl system on the ef, just wondering what sort of economy/problems u guys have had who r runnung these converters

any help will b greatly appreciated!

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

I just installed an OMVL system. Cost was $1687 but that was with me installing my own tank. I have installed a Tickford LPG ECU as well (better spark maps for LPG and better shift points). I get 10.5l/100k on highway and 16l/100k city. When watching them tune my car after 1000k's (to compensate for the initial stretch in the convertor) they really didn't tune it for best efficiency. After a few tanks I re did the tune the old fashioned way (for max revs) and got better economy than the 'pro' tune.

Car has done 210000k's. Is an EF series I. Uses no oil or coolant.

I am quite happy with the economy and power.

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

cool thanks for da reply bloke. so u made 300 bucks putting ur car on gas?lol. im getting it done on firday for 2200 and i am supplying my own tank- still not a bad price, good to c ur happy with it! hopefully it is the same for me lol.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon sr

QLD, Australia

Does the government still have that rebate going as well for converting to lpg?

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Rabate is going until 2011. I reckon I saved close to $1000 but installing my own tank. Didn't take that long really.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon sr

QLD, Australia

Have you ever done anything like that before though MacGyver or do you just have a knack for these things?

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

First time. Just need to think things through. I installed mine under the floor of my wagon. I removed the petrol tank and put in a pre fab new floor that kind of followed the shape of the petrol tank. I then had a space big enough to hid two bodies in. The tank bracket I had didn't fit to my liking so I cut and rewelded one of the sides to suit. Bolted it all in and towed it to the LPG fitter. Make sure you use #8 strength bolts with nylon lock nuts (the law).

He wasn't happy with my welds (I had lost my welding mask and did it with my eyes closed, and I not the best welder anyway) so I had to redo them. But everything esle was fine.

Took about 30mins to fit, 3hrs to measure, re measure and measure again and about 1 hr to strap the damn tank it (did it 3 time cause I wasn't happy with the way it was sitting). But for a saving of $1000, well worth it!

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

GT-P wrote:
cool thanks for da reply bloke. so u made 300 bucks putting ur car on gas?lol. im getting it done on firday for 2200 and i am supplying my own tank- still not a bad price, good to c ur happy with it! hopefully it is the same for me lol.
what type of car,what motor and gearbox? i have 4 duel cars and change compression ratio to 10.2-5\1 and use gas cams,less over lap as in petrol cams and can have chips rewritten for both fuels,make more hp.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
GT-P wrote:
what type of car,what motor and gearbox? i have 4 duel cars and change compression ratio to 10.2-5\1 and use gas cams,less over lap as in petrol cams and can have chips rewritten for both fuels,make more hp.

yeah its goin in an ef fairmont, 6 cyclinder, auto, basically not interetsed in power gains, more interested in economy and reliablity, i have a very light right foot, and do around 600- 1000ks a week, so yeah, im getting the car back on monday so will c how it goes, thanks for the info mate!

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

MacGyver wrote:

He wasn't happy with my welds (I had lost my welding mask and did it with my eyes closed, and I not the best welder anyway) so I had to redo them. !

lol. :D . i gather you found the mask for the 2nd attempt. good work!

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]