Fordmods Logo

BA-BF-SX-SY - Scantool Fun 

Page 7 of 45 [ 666 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: F6 Tornado

VIC, Australia

Interesting......thanx for the feedback.....

Mm, good question, maybe ease of faultfinding - unless there's something else that can connect on that plug - something they use in the Ghia?

Would be interesting to know.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Well, I'd thought of that - additional troubleshooting and anther module.

The only thing I know in the Territory that the Sedans don't have is the Box under the dash that switches between reverse camera and sat-nav (while adding the text message in the reverse camera) and I found those plugs. This is separate again.

If it's so useful as a diagnostic portal, then why not in the sedans?

I guess we may well never know.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And today's useful bit of information is....

I just discovered that the PCM in the BA is produced by Visteon. In fact, the Electronic Throttle Body is from Visteon as well.

The PCM specifically is a PCM 122. There's nothing to be found on the visteon website, but there may be some other info out if I can find the time to trawl. This link is tantalizing...
http://www.visteon.com/products/automot ... l_spec.pdf

Also, Re: the throttle body, you can find that here too:

http://www.visteon.com/products/automot ... _ele.shtml

And the V8's use the Visteon Alternator (I6 use Mitsubishi's)

http://www.visteon.com/products/automot ... ator.shtml

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Check out the BDM123:
http://www.evc.de/en/product/ols/bdm/default.asp

Of interest is that this tells us that the Visteon PCM-122 is based on a Motorola MPC555 processor.

More dribs and drabs to come as I find them....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And hey, looking at the side of a PCM, I can even see the letters 'PCM-122' written on it. I'd never noticed that before.

If anyone else has a clearer or better shot then go ahead, make me look incompetent and post it here....

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: It is pretty fuzzy in this shot, but you should just be able to make out the 'PCM-122' on the side of a BA PCM Module in the LHS of the engine bay.
IMG_1122_Zoom.jpg
IMG_1122_Zoom.jpg [ 51.41 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have in my grubby mits now a Dual Zone ICC complete with a White BEM with Green ID, and a HIM module that's already been programmed for DZ operation.

I had a cheap SY Territory Ghia Dash Harness that I have massacred for plugs, and have managed to label myself up with enough leads to provide Power, GND and CAN lines to these three modules.

I also have connectors for an IC so will probably rip the one out of my car to test on the bench.

The goal is to sniff the traffic these modules generate so I can once and for all isolate which messages come from which modules.

What I don't have yet are a PCM, a Bosch ABS Module or the YAW/SAS sensors - but I might not be too far away from those. And I also now have a cheap Harness that has PCM and ABS module plugs.

I'll post some pics of my lab bench if anyone is interested.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

yeah mate, put em up...

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My first pass at trying to sniff traffic out of both the HIM and the ICC have resulted in a bunch of '<RX ERROR' messages on the scantool.

The manual says I have a protocol or bps mismatch - but the scantool wouldn't auto-detect the protocol, so I set it manually to 11bit CAN at 500kbps. I tried reversing the polarity (it always seems to fix stuff up in Star Trek Next Gen...) but that resulted in nothing at all.

So I have a little bit of debugging ahead of me.

OK, I'll take some happy snaps on the weeked if I get a chance in between installing a reverse camera into the old-man's Kia Sorrento.

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:41 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
I tried reversing the polarity (it always seems to fix stuff up in Star Trek Next Gen...)

Or irreparably destroy things.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I had a good look though the log that I took of the CAN bus messages from the modules on the bench. It appears that I was getting the odd real message here and there! I never saw that in real-time. So I'm closer than I thought.

As to why it didn't quite work, we have a current theory that I'll test.

The CAN bus is terminated at either end by the PCM and the IC (refer to the BA workshop manual on page 303-14-61 and diagram on 303-14-62). CAN termination is just a 120Ohm resistor across the CANH and CANL pins (Google helped me with that one). The terminator is meant to prevent reflections of messages from bouncing back and affecting real messages.

So I'm going to trial a DIY CAN terminator and see if that cleans up the messages and gives me meaningful info. Tricky d**k should be able to help me if I can get him 5c...

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That did it - 6c actually, must be inflation. Note to self, pay attention to the CAN bus termination from now on....

I got messages reliably out of the ICC, the IC and the HIM.

The HIM is sending me message 353

The ICC MSG 307. but when the ICC is powered up the LCD screen won't come on. I'm worried about that. I thought it might be the security code so figured I'd better try to power it up with the BEM. This is the DualZone unit that I bought recently.

The IC is only sending me 437, when I know that DTE and Fuel values are supposed to be in Messages 500 and 553.
437 has the fuel level, illumination level, park brake/light status, battery voltage.
500 has Avg Speed, Avg Econ Mode, Avg Econ, Travel Time
553 has DTE/Range, Inst Econ Mode, Inst Econ and ODO

So we're theorizing that the PCM needs to be sending messages for the IC to respond to, since the IC needs those messages from the PCM in order to calculate the numbers shown in 500/553. Hopefully will try that combination soon. But it makes me wonder if there are others like that. The HIM depends on A/C, ECT and Cylinder # as far as I recall. (Will check further now)

The BEM won't talk to us. Not sure why. I was hoping that if I got it going, and hooked up the CAN lines, that it would free the ICC to power up. Still no go. Getting more worried.....

So the only real progress was to figure the HIM messages. I already knew the others from in-car testing.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lab Bench pictures as promised.

I warn you, they are not pretty....

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: Bench Test kit. Multimeter on the left to show the Supply VOltage to the modules. OBDallinone ELM327 scantool with custom OBD2 port plugged in (bottom centre-right - CANH and CANL all hook up with alligator clips), Multiple-Outlet Power rig - 4 x +ve and
IMG_1308_WEB.jpg
IMG_1308_WEB.jpg [ 40.82 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
File comment: ICC
IMG_1305_WEB.jpg
IMG_1305_WEB.jpg [ 31.4 KiB | Viewed 418 times ]
File comment: BEM
IMG_1304_WEB.jpg
IMG_1304_WEB.jpg [ 33.76 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]
File comment: HIM
IMG_1306_WEB.jpg
IMG_1306_WEB.jpg [ 26.41 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]
File comment: Instrument Cluster
IMG_1307_WEB.jpg
IMG_1307_WEB.jpg [ 30.32 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lab Bench pictures as promised.

I warn you, they are not pretty....

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: Bench Test kit. Multimeter on the left to show the Supply VOltage to the modules. OBDallinone ELM327 scantool with custom OBD2 port plugged in (bottom centre-right - CANH and CANL all hook up with alligator clips), Multiple-Outlet Power rig - 4 x +ve and
IMG_1308_WEB.jpg
IMG_1308_WEB.jpg [ 40.82 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]
File comment: ICC
IMG_1305_WEB.jpg
IMG_1305_WEB.jpg [ 31.4 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]
File comment: BEM
IMG_1304_WEB.jpg
IMG_1304_WEB.jpg [ 33.76 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]
File comment: HIM
IMG_1306_WEB.jpg
IMG_1306_WEB.jpg [ 26.41 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]
File comment: Instrument Cluster
IMG_1307_WEB.jpg
IMG_1307_WEB.jpg [ 30.32 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmm. Today the airbag warning light has been coming on.

Not at first mind you, it takes a few minutes to flash at me intermittently until coming on solid. There's a pattern to it. I might even try and record it on Video and see if the pattern means something.

This error now comes up since I pulled out the INstrument Cluster and put back in. So either I didn't seat one of the connectors properly (but when then only that light?) or I somehow disrupted the drivers airbag.

One of the 5 screws that hold in the IC did mysteriously disappear. No sound as it dropped, I couldn't find the bugger anywhere. My feeling is that it may be stuck in the steering column somehwere. Bloody thing. If that's the case hpefully I'll find it when I have to disassemble the wheel to fit the Multifunction switch with 'auto' headlights.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mrbean wrote:
Well, I have received the Mongoose Plus, it works great. PMSCAN software too, and I have a 90-deg OBD-II interface cable so I can close that annoying fusebox cover.

Nice, I like stealth.

Will post some pics tomorrow.

So, er, which particular tomorrow were you referring to?

COme on! Spill your guts! What does it look like, how'd the driver's install, have you got screenshots from PCMScan?

I only just discovered that while the BA doesn't support the Mode06 stuff, the BF does (misfire monitor, EGR etc etc) and I have vague memories that PCMScan could pull out that stuff.

Joey did a quick bit of code up on MP3Car.com that showed you how to sniff the CAN bus for all broadcast packets sent. That's the holy grail for me....

I'd be super keen to see if you can do that.

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 45  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next