ba scan tool - is this ok 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ba scan tool - is this ok
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

hey,
this is gonna sound stupid as it has everything listed in the ad but i wanna make 110% sure before buying.
is this scan tool suitable for a 05 mk2 ba.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SCAN-TOOL-OBD2-H ... dZViewItem

cheers
* i have sent an email to the seller asking if it is fully compatible and the read out of fault codes, i.e. just spits out D31 or D31-coil #2 etc

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

you need to remember there are some things only the ford scan tools can do, such as power balance tests and advanced pinpoint tests, and key coding on BF's and Focus's etc,
that said, if thats as good as it claims to be im contemplating buying one for myself to use at work when the PDS and IDS are already being used...

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what do you mean when you say advanced pin point tests.
just going into more depth in all systems or are some locked out say the airbags etc.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

#1 - You will want to pick a device that can at the very least use the CAN protocol over the OBD2 Port. The device you list can do that.

#2 There is another protocol in BA/BF/SX/SY called ISO9141. This bus is used to query ABS/TCM/DSC modules, Park Aid Module and some other modules used for ABS. The ELM327 based units can do this, but as yet I've not seen any software that will let you do anything on this bus other than Ford Proprietary software. (but hold tight, I'm working on something)

#3 In essence, there are 'Standards Based' diagnostics that all tools support - this is based on standard J1979 using Modes 01 to 09. The standards are controlled by the EPA. This tool supports those. You can query and look at them once, or you can query all the time and look at 'live' data - which is also what this tool does.

#4 There is also 'Ford Enhanced' Data - and there is some mention of 'Manufacturer Codes' on that ebay listing, but you'd have to question what it can do. There are over 200 values to be read from Mode22. There are a bunch of 'Diagnostic' routines that can be triggered in Mode2F. And there are other module reprogramming modes that can be access in other modes - if you have the right tool and can provide voltage to a certain Pin. Odds on this tool won't support much there.

Look, if my opinion held any sway, and you can use a PC or notebook, then my advice would be for one of the following:

(1) Buy an ELM327 based scantool and PCMSCAN Software. I have a whole thread on here (look for 'Scantool Fun') dedicated to trying to describe the data you can read from an Aussie Ford and how to do it using an ELM327 based tool. ELM327 units are dirt cheap (less than $100AUD) but are speed limited.

(2) Buy a J2534 compliant tool like a Mongoose and PCMSCAN Software (PCMSCAN supports both ELM327 and J2534 tools). J2534 is becoming the 'standard' for scantool devices. Motorcraft (ie Ford) even write software now for J2534 devices, and you can buy a subscription for about $60USD for a month that gives you access to Calibration Files for your car. HOWEVER, there are serious limits right now as to the flashing ability of this software - ie you need a SPECIAL J2534 tool like a CarDQA Plus from drewtech, or a Mongoose-Plus which won't work on Aussie Fords as it doesn't supportCAN, and the software may be for US only vehicles at this stage - not sure.

The Mongoose unit is more expensive - like about $250 USD for the ASIA/EUROPE unit that supports CAN and ISO - but it is FAST (12mbs - more than enough to do a FULL RATE PACKET SCAN of a 500kbps CAN Bus) - and will be supported by more and more software as time goes on. (Including me as I plod ahead learning and coding.)

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

we need the scan tool for the cabs so using a pc is not really and ideal option and i don't have a laptop,
i have read through your thread and tobe honest i get lost half way, although i do under stand most of it.

will do some searching for the mongoose tool and we'll see what happens.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Mongoose requires a PC as well.

I have a friend who had access to a Carman Scan and it can access Ford Enhanced PIDS on a BA Falcon.

Anything else is just guesswork, but if it supports 11bit CAN at 500kbps and J1979 (as they nearly all are), and that's all you want, you should be right.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cheers mate, now googling can begin to find what options i have

why do u write in here.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]