Fordmods Logo

changing from el ecu back to ea ecu? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: changing from el ecu back to ea ecu?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi

yes i know it sound crazy but i got some problems with my el ecu in my ea..
anyway to get the car running i want to put the ea ecu back in.
the thing im not to sure about. is that ive added the extra wires for bbm,knock sensor and smartlock by pass ..also the 2 resistors to trick the auto ecu.

will the ea manual ecu still operate ok with the bbm,knock sensor,smartlock and resistors still connected to the ea non smartlock ecu????

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

what issues are you having with the el ecu?

The ea ecu should be fine to run with the other modifications

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: eb2xr6

New Zealand

it will be ok m8

save petrol and reduce congestion....bury all holden

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:12 pm 

NSW, Australia

66 coupe wrote:

for the last month or so ive been having issues with light surging at about 2500 rpm on light acceleration its like the timing is fluctuating or the isc is throbbing ive replaced all sensors to eliminate the prob but its still there ive disconected the isc and it still happens..
one thing ive noticed is that when i changed hego sensor it came good for about 2 days and when i changed the air charge sensor it came good for 2 days then it just goes back to surging again..

also the thermo fans dont operate correctly from the ecu.
im getting constant contanuity from pin 53 turning the fans on constantly but nothing from pin 33.
i dont know if there is a problem with the auto temp resistor or its something else..

so i was going to temporarly swap back to the ea ecu untill i can try another el ecu or find out whats causing this..
and i dont really want to un tape wires and remove pins from the ecu plug to put the ea one in..

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
66 coupe wrote:

for the last month or so ive been having issues with light surging at about 2500 rpm on light acceleration its like the timing is fluctuating or the isc is throbbing ive replaced all sensors to eliminate the prob but its still there ive disconected the isc and it still happens..
one thing ive noticed is that when i changed hego sensor it came good for about 2 days and when i changed the air charge sensor it came good for 2 days then it just goes back to surging again..

also the thermo fans dont operate correctly from the ecu.
im getting constant contanuity from pin 53 turning the fans on constantly but nothing from pin 33.
i dont know if there is a problem with the auto temp resistor or its something else..

so i was going to temporarly swap back to the ea ecu untill i can try another el ecu or find out whats causing this..
and i dont really want to un tape wires and remove pins from the ecu plug to put the ea one in..

Backprobe the trans temp and trans range wires and get voltage readings, if you cross reference your readings with the readings in a workshop manual you can use this info to make sure the ecu is seeing a valid trans temp, and that it thinks it is in park or neutral. If it thinks it is in a gear other than park / neutral, the surging could be caused by tip in retard.
Also backprobe the hego wire, and ensure its floating 0 < 1 v as ive also seen > 4v on the hego wire when an earth wire was not connected to the block on the drivers side, which would cause incorrect fuelling. Further to that you can also try backprobing ACT and ECT to get some voltage readings to compare with whats in the manual, if you want a copy of the voltages required, pm me your email address and ill send something through.

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
also the thermo fans dont operate correctly from the ecu.im getting constant contanuity from pin 53 turning the fans on constantly but nothing from pin 33.
Checked the ECU codes ???
Pull the ECU plug and measure between pins 42 & 46, you should read the temp resistor value, which should be around 1.2kohms.
Check the coolant sensor and plug for crap buildup and connection.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:32 pm 

NSW, Australia

ok thanks guys ill have to get my multimeter back of my mate and ill check it on the weekend...

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

For the thermos, here's a bit of deja vu: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16218
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12782

PM the guy and ask him if he sorted it out.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:58 pm 

NSW, Australia

finally i got my multi meter back.
after testing the resistor on the trans gear position it was 6.6k ohm and it should be 7k ohm so after hunting around and not being able to find a 7k i used a 4.3k and a 2.7k resister to make the 7k ohm and now the voltage is reading is 3.01v which puts the trans in neutral..

i checked the trans temp with the resistor fitted and got a reading of 3.85v and the wire from pin 53 has contanuity all the time.
so i changed the resistor and the trans temp is now getting a reading of 3.44v which seems ok..

now for some reason?
im getting 0.54v from pin 53 and 33.
i thought that the fans were triggered by earthing but it seems to be putting out a small voltage from these pins ..
does this sound right.?

oh and it still surges ....

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Troy, 0.54v on the fan outputs is close enough to 0v to switch the fan relays on

Check the voltages at pins 7, 25, 29, 46, and 60.
The last two should be very close to 0v.

How bad is the surging? Have you tried giving it a couple degrees more base timing? Aim for around 30 degrees at idle without the self test input earthed (ie around 3 widths of the standard markings)

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi Mr Troy...

I'm having the same surging at low revs now myeslf..

Thought it was a vacuum leak but can't find anything.. changed map sensor for an EL one.. and TPS for a good free moving one.. no diff..

I followed your tute when wiring up the ECU re resistors and stuff.. and will follow the checks detailed above, but wanted to know what solved the problem for you?

rgds

Frank

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:31 pm 

NSW, Australia

g day.

well it was or seemed to be a mix of things that fixed the problem..

first it had a pinging issue and was running lean aswell as the surging..
so after fitting colder plugs(xr6 plugs)the pinging was alittle less then the xr6 fuel pressure reg,au injectors then pinging had gone and then after fitting the tickford ecu all the problems had pretty much gone..
the ecu seemed to have made the most difference..
(i went from a el hybrid auto ecu to a tickford auto ecu)

and i assume the main reason it was pinging and running lean was because of the high compression of the au engine?

im not 100% sure if the pinging/running lean was the cause of the surging but after the changes the running lean the pinging and surging has gone..
the only time it returns(only slightly) is after the battery has been disconected and the ecu has been reset..but after a few hours or so of driving its all ok again..

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sigh.. that doesn't help my current problem..

stardard Auto EL ecu..
ED motor with Xr6 cam.
EL map sensor.

surges like a cow when at below 1000 rpm.

ECU has only been in for a week, so I've been hoping it'd get better as it got used to the engine.

fuel economy doesn't seem as good either.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

Are you using it with the bbm?
If not that might be where your problems lay.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Good point.. it isn't with the BBM.. (it will be, but my EL motor is still having a supercharger added.)
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post840671.html#840671

I have an ED ECU here that I could try again I suppose.

Funny thing was, with the ED ECU, the engine idled at 1200rpm.. with the EL ECU, it seems to want to idle at around 350-400.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]