Fordmods Logo

Channel 7 Today Tonight report 3/10/05 - PULP/ULP/E5/E10 

Page 3 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There is oodles of information on the net, although some people might ask you for money for it, on creating your own ethanol refinery which can produce you about 40litres a week conservativley.

That'll give you 400L of E10, 200 of E20. Basically, more than enough for one car, or even two in the driveway.

Plus, if you make your own, you get a 4.5cpl discount on your fuel as you're not paying for 10% of the road tax!!

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I never thought the day would come when we would have to make our own fuel :shock:

Maybe I should buy a bike. Before we run out of fuel, Ill start the excercise early...

E10 sounds dodgy. I didn't see the tests, but I would rather the 98 octane. Atleast its a proven fact that my car can run on that.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NA Fairlane

QLD, Australia

I put a whole tank through my NA Fairlane. had nothing but hasselsls, wouldn't idle AFTER 50ks. Ran porly and burnt all the oil in the sump. Once I ran the tank out and went back to ultra not a problem. Use no oil and runs great again/
I won't touch the crap again

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

When I was on the "no LPG/CNG excise in 2008" campaign someone on FF brought up a another reason against Ethanol production.

Sugar cane production is "one" of the highest killers of the Great Barrier Reef, pollutants (fertilisers, pesticides and sediment) end up in the catchment systems that flow into the reef.

Reductions in sugar cane farming, environmentally safer more efficient farming and some other bio fuel would be a better thing for the government to look into.

Remember that once the reef is gone it is gone for ever, a total biological system gone with others to follow due to this loss, that in turn would cause billions of dollars losses in tourism, fishing and other industries.

Remember this current government is a short term fix government, preferring to rob Peter to pay Paul, instead of fixing things properly, it wont be too long here before we should be saying that is very un-American instead of un-Australian, Little Johny the George W Bush's puppet on a stick.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:52 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Damage wrote:
Sugar cane production is "one" of the highest killers of the Great Barrier Reef, pollutants (fertilisers, pesticides and sediment) end up in the catchment systems that flow into the reef.

Reductions in sugar cane farming, environmentally safer more efficient farming and some other bio fuel would be a better thing for the government to look into.

That's an interesting point.
Another question, that I don't know if anyone will know the answer too, what is water consumption like for sugar cane crops?
It appears they are mainly grown in tropical areas, so I'm assuming it's fairly high, but even in Queensland I'd imagine a large amount of irrigation would be needed.

Not exactly a sustainable practice in this country.
Of course that applies to other water hungry crops as well.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Mainly irriageted by Bore water, generaly the bore water isn't good enough for drinking, but not always. Cotton is the biggest water using crop in Australia.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

PWC666 wrote:
Mainly irriageted by Bore water, generaly the bore water isn't good enough for drinking, but not always. Cotton is the biggest water using crop in Australia.

Cotton and rice.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

I remember being told that sugar cane uses more water to grow than rice paddy fields. But it can also depend on the soil as well. Mackay has a lot of water to grow their crops but on the Atherton Tablelands where I am, the soil is the rich volcanic variety that helps it grow. But there are now so many varieties of sugar developed now that it doesn't matter where you are I think.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Not exactly a sustainable practice in this country.
Of course that applies to other water hungry crops as well.

There is PLENTY of water in this country. It's just that no-one lives and farms where it is atm.

Under the desert, in the middle of the country, there is a huge underground reservior of water. Some people estimate it to be 4 or 5 times the size of the underground water on the east coast. There's so much water there that it would sustain unrestricted farming for 100 years or more.

I wish people would start farming there because I sell the right angle gearboxes for the bore pumps and the drought has really diminished sales of gearboxes.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Damage wrote:
Remember this current government is a short term fix government, preferring to rob Peter to pay Paul, instead of fixing things properly, it wont be too long here before we should be saying that is very un-American instead of un-Australian, Little Johny the George W Bush's puppet on a stick.

You make a fascinating point about the environmental impact of sugar farming in QLD but drop the partisan politics s**t, PLEASE. To point blame at current day government is a farce and is typically opportunistic.

Ethanol currently produced from sugar cane is done so from excess. So... it's the governments fault that farmers grow too much sugar cane?

No one in their right mind will purposely grow biomass to be used in ethanol production purely for the fact you need to put more into it than you get out of it.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

There is PLENTY of water in this country. It's just that no-one lives and farms where it is atm. )

Not much of it is any good. That is why the people from those areas wanted to channel water from the city areas all the way out in the midle of nowhere.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

PWC666 wrote:
There is PLENTY of water in this country. It's just that no-one lives and farms where it is atm. )

Not much of it is any good. That is why the people from those areas wanted to channel water from the city areas all the way out in the midle of nowhere.

I'm talking water where NO-ONE lives period. The kind of areas that you drive thorough in a 4WD with 400litres of diesel on board because there's no civilisation for 2000km. The water table there is in the 00,000's of square kilometres in area.

The water's fine for farming. It hasn't been salinated through the irrigation process like what is happening al over the east of the contry.

The fact that's it's all sand there might worry some crops, but not the water side of things.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

So all the farmers that what to produce crops for the sole purpose of producing ethanol need to decide on a plant that grows in low nutrient sandy soil and likes bore water in a high temperatures.

So come on you genetic engineers at DPI... the farmers need your help.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I'm talking water where NO-ONE lives period.)

Where? Do you mean the great artision?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

LG wrote:
Ethanol is fine on Falcons according to ABC.

http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s1056358.htm

I'am on my 3rd tank of boost98 ethanol. No problems seems to run & go the same as Shell optimax in a AU VCT mtr.

I think toulene was the additive that caused probs as well in overdoses. I 've read reports of it not suitable for pre 86 engines?

ghiaman

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next