Cleaning Fuel Injector's - Options 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Cleaning Fuel Injector's - Options
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF

VIC, Australia

Hello all.

One of the things my Mechanic told me i shold have done to by EF was have the injectors cleaned, as they are partly blocked.
What options do i have?
Now my mechanic is very good, but he was going to charge me $28 per injector to clean them.
So what other options do i have?
And can anyone tell me a place to go to for this?

Thanks
coops

---------------------------
Nicholas Cooper
njc81@westnet.com.au

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:04 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

and how did he diagnose they were partly blocked?

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I assume he came to the conclusion that the injectors were partly blocked because the following has been change in the last monthl:
-Brand new fuel pump
-New fuel filter x2
-New leads
-New plugs

So the next logical thing to do would be to clean the injectors. The car has travelled over 265,000 k's, and to the best of my knowledge the injectors haven't ever been cleaned. The only major work that has been done to the engine was a head gasket around the 210,000K mark.

The problem the car has is that somtimes it apears to be starved of fuel (possible injectors) & on the odd time it runs like a spark plug lead has been pulled off (coil pack???)

Any more imput would be handy

cheers
coops

Nicholas Cooper
njc81@westnet.com.au

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

a drop of pressure at the fuel regulator could possibly be part of a problem too.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

the two most common ways of cleaning injectors are the following:

- On Car - with this method a solvent/cleaning tank is conected inline before the fuel rail. at this point fuel is disconected and the car with be running purley on solvent.

- Remove Injectors - With this method the injectors are removed from the car complety and placed on an injector cleaning machine. this tests for injector opperation, flow rate, leak down etc. also with this method pintle caps, seals and basket filters are replaced.

generally speaking it is best to have the injectors removed cleaned and serviced.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks nannas_ed for your response to my question.

Can anyone recommend a place to have the injectors cleaned?

In regards to smoke_rubber's response - is there anyway of test the fuel reg to see if there is a drop in preasure, or a way of removiing the fuel reg to have a visual look??

cheers

coops

Nicholas Cooper
njc81@westnet.com.au

Post subject: injectors
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Typhoon

WA, Australia

they are both pretty good if u jst clean the injectors they will replave the filters and seals in them makin them basicly new they will test them but if you go the other way meanin leavn them in its called a carbon clean that way it cleans the injectors it also removes carcon deposits in the valves,head,pistons and clean the fuel rail and other fuel componenets if it was me i wld do both prefibly the carbon clean meanin leavn the injectors in its a very good way but if your injectors are blockd go with takn the injectors out and after do a carbon clean trust me it makes a diffrence i wrk for ford and we do it and it works

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:43 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

coops wrote:
In regards to smoke_rubber's response - is there anyway of test the fuel reg to see if there is a drop in preasure, or a way of removiing the fuel reg to have a visual look??
With the engine idling, pull the vacuum hose from the fuel reg, plug the vaccy line.
The injectors should tick slightly louder - what you're doing is increasing the fuel rail pressure. If your idle smoothens, then your injectors are most likely dirty - if no change in idle smoothness, it could mean poor fuel pressure - since everything bar the reg has been changed upstream to the tank, your reg may have an issue.
You can check your reg for holes in the diaphragm by connecting another hose to the reg, and suck it like a straw - if you get slight tastes of petrol (don't worry, you won't be sculling it), your diaphragm is perforated. The engine needs to be running for this test.
Just a few simple things you can do to faultfind . . . . . . :idea:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]