Fordmods Logo

computer probs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: computer probs
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

gday, i just put an ex interceptor ECU and hp4 chip in my car, and theres a problem with the computer. When i start the car, it revs right up to bout 2000-2500 rpm and sticks for a second, then drops back down to 1400, with my old computer it idled at 1100. Now when i touch the accelerator in N or P it goes up and sticks, then if i touch it some more it goes up further and sticks there, eventually dropping down, and when i put it in park after driving it revs up to 3000rpm sometimes and stays, sometimes creeping up more, then eventually drops down.

I have taken the chip out and it does the same thing, anyone know what could cause this? BTW none of this happened with my stock computer.

Any solutions or similar problems?

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

How many ks have you put on it since installing the new computer ?
My stock ECU does this with all my engine work after resetting it (ie disconnecting the battery) It usually comes good after 100ks or 2. I reset mine on the weekend and it's still doing it now - driving along and come to a set of lights, put it in neutral and the revs stick at 2000. I just put it in gear and let the clutch out a little to load it up and it drops back to 1000, then down to 750 idle.

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Concorde

ACT, Australia

if that doesn't work, is your car a manual or auto? i've heard of auto computer being put in manuals and that exact same thing happening.

2nd Place Summernats19 SQ Comp, Street Pro 0-600 Class
STEREO - 128.7db
JVC EXAD DVD and surround sound
3 X 10" Lanzar Dual Voice Coil 6ohm Subs
4 X 6.5" Alpine S-Type 2-way, front and back
JVC 6.6cm Center Speaker
Engine -
2.5" exhaust, SS Inductions CAI, K&N air filter. 132.6rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Sounds like your new computer might need to be trained to your TPS, or your TPS isn't connected properly.

IIRC you train the TPS in diagnostic mode. Not 100% sure though. There used to be a Doc on it I think, FM1. Have a look now.

My theory is when the computer detects your throttle is below a certian point it enables idle control. Above that point your idle solenoid is going to be always open, or always closed, not sure which it's supposed to be. Sounds like yours is staying always open.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

if i disconnect the idle sensor the problem goes away?

Is there any problems that can arise if i leave the idle sensor disconnected? I havnt had any problems so far and it has been disconnected for bout 3-4 days now. Also how do u train the computer to the TPS?

regards

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
if i disconnect the idle sensor the problem goes away?

Is there any problems that can arise if i leave the idle sensor disconnected? I havnt had any problems so far and it has been disconnected for bout 3-4 days now. Also how do u train the computer to the TPS?

regards

I am sure you mean idle control motor (I assume you have an I6 here) ???? If that is the case it either verifies what I was saying about the TPS or indicates maybe the idle control system is faulty.

If you can live without idle control go for it. Your computer will probably complain (error codes). If it doesn't stall when stationary, air con on and full lock steering you don't need it.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF II XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

i had this problem to it turned out to be my power steering switch was stuffed so i just took the plug off n shorted out the 2 wires and the car started 2 drive normal

No dose No Care

P.B of 12.2@118 with more in it!!!!

Formerly known as ebturb

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]