Dodgy ECU?!?! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Dodgy ECU?!?!
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 96 Ford Fairlane Ltd V8

NSW, Australia

Hi
I have an automatic 1996 Fairlane LTD V8. Now it's been in the shop for over 2 weeks, has had fuel filter, fuel pump, coil, distributor replaced and air flow metre checked plus a sensor replaced and demister hose replaced... $800 later and we are still at square one with a car that idles rough and stalls or just stops! Not happy! Especially when we weren't asked before all this has been replaced!
So we have asked around and a friend has a v8 wagon around same year model doing the same and has been told its the computer! Now we would rather buy a computer and fit it ourselves than keep paying this dipstick to replace things that isn't helping!
Our computer code is 6DGC.
What we need to know is, will another coded computer fit our car or do we have to find one with that exact code for it to work???

Post subject: Re: Dodgy ECU?!?!
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

May sound stupid... But have you checked the computer for codes?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 96 Ford Fairlane Ltd V8

NSW, Australia

We haven't done anything with it so far as we're not 100% sure, and don't know if anyone in our town knows anything bout them!!!
The catch code (I think it's called) on the barcode sticker says 6DGC. There's one on eBay with 4DEG, and says Ford EF NF V8 Falcon Fairmont Fairlane Ghia Auto ECU Computer in good working order. The catch code is 4DEG. Wondering if it would fit or not!?!?

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes well check it for codes first...

Up the top, hover on resources, then click tech docs... Then find the part in the e series section about getting codes out of the computer...

This will soon tell you if it one sensor in particular that is out of range...

I have only ever heard of/seen one computer die... They are very robust and while I'm not saying yours hasn't died, it would be worth doing the free stuff before spending any money...

The computer catch code is:

First Digit: YOM (ie 4 is 1994, 6 is 1996)
Second Digit: Spec (D= Ford, T=Tickford)
Third Digit: Transmission (A=Manual, B=Auto)
Four Digit: Computer Revision (A is first then if they change the tune they move to B, so on)...

I don't know how the catch code distinguishes a V8... And as they went on they started throwing odd letters in... Again I'm pretty sure there is a page in the library of what computer was out of what and how you could compare them... Never take the car description on ebay for granted... A lot of sellers think what suits one car suits all and they're often wrong...

Again I know very little about the V8 computers, someone else on here will chime in when they see it... But start with the free stuff...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]