Fordmods Logo

E Series 5lt into custom...loom questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: E Series 5lt into custom...loom questions
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Trying to neaten up a eb 5lt loom and hide as much of it as i can...now, the loom i have is a NC one, and there is s**t everywhere that i probably don't need...and the factory loom is very bulky, the engine loom seems to be in several pieces, its complete as i have had the donor car running fine with it...what tricks do people use when hiding them, or trying to simplify it? Im not running air con or a heater as im using vintage air...HELP!

Post subject: Re: E Series 5lt into custom...loom questions
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Shame you're in Aussie as I do these mods over here for hot rodders putting EFI onto SB windsors. I get the factory looms down to a minimum 6 wire hookup ie battery +ve, -ve, run switch, start switch, fuel pump, earth. Everything else is plug and play. Circuits are included for engine temp, oil pressure, a/c but they don't need to be connected.

I can't describe each step because it takes me about 10 hours to do, and I have done it quite a few times before. The first one took about 40 hours tracing and labelling then re-wiring.

The easy stuff

- ABS circuit can go
- SLS circuit can go
- Most relays can go (3 needed without a/c)
- Lighting circuits can go
- Wiper circuit can go
- Washer bottle etc circuit can go
- Brake fluid level sensor circuit can go
- Coolant reseviour sensor circuit can go
- A/C is only 1 wire in each engine bay loom
- Heater is all cabin wiring

The difficult stuff

- cabin loom can be reduced significantly (takes me 6 hours to do this one) by removing fan, climate control, smartlock, central controller, fusebox etc
- cabin loom needs extra wiring and fuses added to make up for the other looms that have been removed.
- transmission computer loom needs extra wiring added

IMPORTANT NOTE. Most of these modifications are not just "hack it out". Some wires need to be cut in the correct places otherwise it won't work properly because the wires feed several circuits. I have built a test bed complete with radiator through to gearbox yoke to test each loom before they are fitted to vehicles. Full on board diagnostics are retained.

Bottom line = Big job, lots of pitfalls, but the end result is very wothwhile. The engine and transmission (ex 1992 LTD in this instance) in a 1940's pickup truck I'm currently converting starts and performs just like a modern vehicle.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Post subject: Re: E Series 5lt into custom...loom questions
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply, its muchly appreciated. I ended up having a crack at it myself, and after unwrapping all the loom and tracing it all, worked out its not too bad if everything is done one at a time so i dont lose my spot. Again, thanks for the reply

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]