e series chip 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: e series chip
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: ebxr8

SA, Australia

e series chip anyone got one,we tried but gave up now going for a jim mock interceptor which r designed for all e series with killer results and live tuning,i'll let those interested in the results in a week or so.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Why are you bothering with an interceptor? Why not an aftermarket ECU? Ofcourse it depends on the application but Im just curious.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I'm mainly going with wat my dyno guy recommends,he's used the jim mock intercepter before and knows they work and r well suited to the e series falcon plus i'm short on cash and the price seems reasonable,i think an aftermarket ecu can get expensive with the purchase price,wiring it up is more time consuming then finally tuning.But i'm not really sure wat a complete package costs,maybe someone can give more details on costs for aftermarket ecu's.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The depends everywhere you go. I can't say I've had any experience with the Jim Mock interceptor (whichever one he uses..Haltech?), I was selling aftermarket ECUs for $1000, no wiring needed, but I doubt you'll find anything similar. If you're dyno tuner is comfortable with the 'Jim Mock' interceptor, then I guess he made up your mind, but it's better to get exactly what you need now (and will need later), rather than spending all this money now, and having to buy something else down the track.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The ford eec has had millions+ $ spent on research,i doubt after market ecu's have.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, but it has it's limitations, if you can stay within those, then awesome, but otherwise it's a whole other story.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ixlrate wrote:
The ford eec has had millions+ $ spent on research,i doubt after market ecu's have.

reasearch doesnt hardly mean anything....... just because tehy spent millions of dollars on it doesnt mean its the bee`s knees...

what about wolf , microtech, they havent spent millions of dollars on r and d , yet they have a ecu which CRAPS all over factory .

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I guarantee ford didn't spend millions of dollars on research for the EEC. It is not exactly the most complex of electronic devices.

I agree with the others above, the JMM product isnt great (and is very expensive for what it is). But if that is what your tuner wants to use then you dont have much choice (maybe talk to a few other tuners?).

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
I guarantee ford didn't spend millions of dollars on research for the EEC. It is not exactly the most complex of electronic devices.

I agree with the others above, the JMM product isnt great (and is very expensive for what it is). But if that is what your tuner wants to use then you dont have much choice (maybe talk to a few other tuners?).

quote from spork
And Finally the best possible way of modifying your car's tuning:

Crack the standard ECU !

Your car's standard ecu has had millions and millions worth of development money spent on it, the fuel and spark maps for the standard engine, cold start, emissions, hot/cold running, limp home modes, electronic throttle control has been setup to be just right. Why throw all that out if you don't have to?

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

Because it was all Developed to Run a Standard Everyday Engine..... Ford didnt bring these cars out of the Factory to be race cars..... The standard ECU suits just that A STANDARD CAR.... Aftermarket ECUs Kater for Heavier Modifications

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Some people think the factory ECU is something special. It isnt. It is difficult to crack and a pain in the a*** to tune. I have tuned 'cracked' EEC's and fitted and tuned a couple of aftermarket ECU's and it is like comparing s**t to sugar.

Also keep in mind that the JMM interceptor is NOT cracking the ECC - it is an 'ebay resistor mod' on steroids. Last time I saw what he was charging it was about $200 more than entry level aftermarket ECU's like EMS stingers which are far better (prices were including fitted and tuning on both).

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I had inquired about a stinger from a stinger-tuner retailer in the nth suburbs,his price was $500 more supplied,fitted and tuned than my jmm and i think from memory he told me it could only be used as a piggyback as we needed to keep the factory eec to run the auto trans,but i will admitt i know f**k about them and have relied on advice from my tuner.I was very tempted to go tweecer but no one was really keen in having ago at tuning them especially since most tuners i rang never heard of them.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Tweecers are not a fun product to tune with.

All aftermarket ECU's are generally run 'piggyback'. What you do is cut the outputs from the EEC and connect them to the new ECU, and then share the inputs. This means that the EEC/auto trans/dash is all happy but you have full control of the engine via your new ecu. It also means if you ever want to remove the aftermarket ECU it is just a matter of pulling it out rejoining a couple of wires.

What price have you been quoted for the interceptor and stinger? Where was it from (Towler/Boostin Oz?)

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

another JMM Pet dog...... dont even worry about explaining things to him Stockie

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Southy wrote:
another JMM Pet dog...... dont even worry about explaining things to him Stockie

Good remark so why bother having a forum,at least i admit to knowing sweet fa,and i'd never heard of jmm until my tuner recommended the interceptor
the quote was $2300 from boostin oz that was acouple of mths ago but i did talk to aguy afew weeks ago down sth and he recons he fits em for around $1,500 mark so prices do vary and i was keen to find someone close rather than the other side of the city.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next