Fordmods Logo

EB2 or ED ECU in dash transplant? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EB2 or ED ECU in dash transplant?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Hi fellas, I'd like some advice please.
I have an EB2 GLI, auto, log manifold, ABS, smartlock, 3:45 diff, normal aircon/heater and standard cluster. oh the tyres are good too.
I am trying to suss out potential problems in transplanting a complete ED Fairmont [abs and smartlock] dash with cruise, climate control and s-pack cluster etc into the EB2.
To the advice needed, any and all help greatly appreciated.
I have the temp sensor needed for the cluster, after that I'm in the dark and only guessing. I believe that I would have to install the climate control module and the cruise module, I guess there's cables brackets etc. I was planning on taking what ever is not on mine from the ED and installing it while they're side by side. Not a very scientific approach, but I'll wing it if I have to.
I suspect I'll need to use the ED Fairmont BCM, is this so?
How much of the ED wiring harness will I need to use, if any?
Will I have to use the ED ECU?
To what benefit? or why won't the EB2 ecu cope? [just curious]
I am hoping to transplant the entire dash not just the bits and pieces, is this possible?
Will the v-good aircon/heater that I have in the EB2 be able to stay put or do I need to use the ED's? [Trying to avoid a re-gas]
Have I not mentioned any modules, relays, actuators etc that I should know about?
What I'm trying to say is, whats in the Fairmont dash that has not got a plug/connector already in the EB2 loom?
My 'Ellery's' doesn't help a lot on these questions which is why I started this thread. A lot of bits and pieces I have downloaded from various tech docs and posts, but thought it best to ask for advice addressing my specific concerns.
Hope someone can help on any or all of the above, especially the ECU and BCM questions, briefly will the Fairmont BCM work with the EB2 ECU?
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Paul,
Read http://www.fordmods.com/forums/climate- ... 17021.html thoroughly, including phil addis's links, as his relate exactly to what you're doing - your's should be easier with both cars being smartlock.
I'm not sure about EBII/ED GLI with ABS, but EF/EL GLI's with ABS Get the extras in the engine bay looms, i.e. ambient air sensor, low coolant, washer bottle level wiring, etc, so if you swapped GLI/fairmont dashes including the dash looms, they should match up.
You could check the horn plug near the hood latch, and see if there's two extra wires (amb air sensor), if so, the rest should be there.
You can fit all the CC items to the heaterbox in situ - refer the CC doco and above links(the vac solenoid unit will be mounted on the recirc air box in EB/ED IIRC).
You'll need the fairmont BEM for power antenna and variable dimming (along with the f/mont light switch and antenna switch.
If you install the EBII smartlock module, you 'shouldn't' need to do the recognition procedure.
You should be able to retain the EBII ECU.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Snap,
I've saved the tech doco and have been studying it, without it I probably wouldn't have considered the job.
Thanks for the links, I read that a while ago but missed the extras as I didn't have a donor car on the horizon then.
The benefits from an ABS/smartlock loom are in the EB2, for cruise control and as far as I can tell, climate control. I'll check the provision for the ambient air sensor in the morning before I put the engine in.It stood to reason I would need to use the Fairmont BEM, but I wasn't sure and if the EB2 ecu doesn't suit I'll have the ED on hand anyhow. The workshop manuals I have are no good when it comes to model grafting, as no doubt you know.
Thank for the dash loom tip, which is a reasonable and logical step and may solve a problem which arose after a discussion on AFF in which I was advised that, "no way would it work, as the ED wiring is completely different". I thought what part of the loom could I change, because I don't want to do the lot. This discussion is still underway, so someone may yet suggest the same, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I'd rather re-wire one plug [if necessary] than three or four. Soldering.....
The dash has to come out any way, and I'll be changing the steering column, so pulling out the complete heater/ aircon box and replacing it with a very low klm unit, in toto, is ok with me. In concert with the dash loom change, it will eliminate any wiring problems I think. It's only a re-gas after all. Ive been trying to avoid that, but this other system is in near new condition.
Another good tip on smartlock, but I may use all the locks and module from the ED, same result though.
Car's coming along nicely, seems a waste to put it back together then rip the box out again to replace it with the Fairmont's much younger auto, but do want the car for Sunday's Koala Park turnout.
The alternator fits neat with a Bosch 3PK940 belt.
I just hope it all fits in smoothly in the morning.
Thanks once again for your advice,
Mac

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:54 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

NP Paul.
I wouldn't think they'd be any significant difference between fairmont wiring between the EBII and ED versions.
IIRC cruise control module location did vary, but from memory the EBII/ED sits under the back of the centre console - you'd probably find your EBII already has the plug sitting there.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hi Snap,
I'll be changing consoles, well the complete interior, so I'll find out then for sure. There are a couple of spare plugs under my console and I know one is for power windows. If this bloke stops procrastinating, I'll get the ED to my place where I can physically check everything, I'll know by Sunday whether its a goer or not.
I just came in from putting the EL engine into the EB, sun got to me, still got to bolt it up but most of the heavy works done. The old neighbours were betting that one person couldn't do it but luck was with me. If I get that finished [running well] by tomorrow morning I'll start chasing the ED. If he'll settle on my offer, I'll leave the LSD until after I tow the ED home, BenJ's experience has left me a little cautious about diffs. especially towing a car trailer after just fitting a strange engine.
Well, back to work,
Cheers
Mac

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just thought I'd bring this thread to a conclusion as some one may look here for answers regarding an ED to EB climate/dash swap.
To cut a long story short the Fairmont wreck was advertised as a 94 ED and that is what I bid on. When I went to pick it up, it turned out to be a 3/93 EB2 'Mont.
An agreement was reached and I took the car anyway.
All concerns over transplanting ED 'Mont gear are now redundant as it has become EB2 to EB2 transplant.
Most plugs for the higher spec switches and sensors are extant in the GLi w/abs-smartlock loom but not the main climate control or trip computer harnesses.
I will still swap over the complete 'Mont looms and modules but compatibility should no longer be an issue.
Sorry to those who may have looked for answers on an ED swap but the screw up was beyond my control.
Paul

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]