ECU, have i been riped off 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

joshannon.7 wrote:
4DTA is EF fairmont ghia. 3.23 auto. and its remanufactured

What exactly is "remanufactured". I am an electrician and electrical engineer and I mess about with computers, electronics and microcontrollers heaps for my work. There is no way to "remanufacture" these things, other than take the old components out and put new ones which would serve no purpose unless it was broken (in which case it is repaired, not remanufactured).

My bet is he took the case apart and wiped it clean. How much extra do you pay for a cleaning job ???

It amazes me what people will believe when they read an ebay description. I don't mean to be negative or to put you down, just do your homework and don't get caught up in buzz words that mean nothing next time.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ford offer reman's through their spare parts network and are labelled accordingly.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 94 EF (OPT20), TF Cortina Ghia

VIC, Australia

raiki wrote:
joshannon.7 wrote:
4DTA is EF fairmont ghia. 3.23 auto. and its remanufactured

What exactly is "remanufactured". I am an electrician and electrical engineer and I mess about with computers, electronics and microcontrollers heaps for my work. There is no way to "remanufacture" these things, other than take the old components out and put new ones which would serve no purpose unless it was broken (in which case it is repaired, not remanufactured).

My bet is he took the case apart and wiped it clean. How much extra do you pay for a cleaning job ???

It amazes me what people will believe when they read an ebay description. I don't mean to be negative or to put you down, just do your homework and don't get caught up in buzz words that mean nothing next time.

http://fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ecu#625291

there is a picture of a remanufactured one in this thread. not the same as mine but proves a point.

And it amazes me the amount of ppl on here who clearly dont know what THEY are on about and havent done their homework b4 they go telling other ppl they have no idea. HOW ABOUT YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK BUDDY. its not a s**t word on ebay. in fact the bloke i bought it off tried to hide the fact that it was a remanufacture. I sugest you ring ford and try telling them that you cant get a remanufactured ecu. generaly a reman one means probably a waranty job on the ecu so it was swapped out with a new (remanufacture) ecu.

"Look I found tape, I'm a mechanic now!!!" Mike Teutul

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont ZL Lane 4x4 Bronco

QLD, Australia

EMF in Brisbane offer a range of repaired and tested ECU's
This one is in my EF Fairmont

Attachments:
eec5 4dcg.jpg
eec5 4dcg.jpg [ 84.19 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

i believe EMF is known as AFI now.

Ford do sell remanufactured/exchange ones, i can confirm that.

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it seems a simple misuse of the word remanufactured, remanufactured/new and remanufactured/refurbished and how you look at this i guess a if you took you car into ford to be repaired and thay replaced the ecu with a new one then the car was remanufactured also there is remanufactured/refurbished ECU's about like smee's pic above, simple as ford tagging there new replacement part remanufactured.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Remanufactured ECU's IMO means it's been Cleaned, Tested & Reprogramed with the latest software for that particular model.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

joshannon.7 wrote:
I sugest you ring ford and try telling them that you cant get a remanufactured ecu. generaly a reman one means probably a waranty job on the ecu so it was swapped out with a new (remanufacture) ecu.

Grow up mate. Not once did I say you couldn't buy one that is 'remanufactured'. What I said was (translated to simple terms for your IQ) that 'remanufactured' is not the correct term for what is being done to them.

I stand by what I said and a remanufactured ECU is simply one that has been cleaned and tested/repaired. Don't expect it to work any better than a stock one in a stock car that is running as intended.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 94 EF (OPT20), TF Cortina Ghia

VIC, Australia

raiki wrote:
joshannon.7 wrote:
I sugest you ring ford and try telling them that you cant get a remanufactured ecu. generaly a reman one means probably a waranty job on the ecu so it was swapped out with a new (remanufacture) ecu.

Grow up mate. Not once did I say you couldn't buy one that is 'remanufactured'. What I said was (translated to simple terms for your IQ) that 'remanufactured' is not the correct term for what is being done to them.

I stand by what I said and a remanufactured ECU is simply one that has been cleaned and tested/repaired. Don't expect it to work any better than a stock one in a stock car that is running as intended.

Firstly i apologise for the way i replied to your post. i have had the flu and been feeling like hell. I see where you are coming from. and i apreciate that it would be no different to an origional ecu in working condition. however my ecu is not in complete working condition. i wasnt looking for a "remanufactured" (fords wording for a new replacement) and when i bought it i was unaware it was a reman. it had a code that was compatible with my car so i bought it. i dont expect any gains over an origional ecu with the same codes.

"Look I found tape, I'm a mechanic now!!!" Mike Teutul

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2