ecu help for au 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ecu help for au
Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au

VIC, Australia

i have an an au series one
can u replace the ecu with any au series xr6/8 ecu, and is it an easy change ova?
can neone help?
cheers :)

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

step 1 - serch for older threads
step 2 - no, you can't (except for series one XR6)
step 3 - even if you could, you wouldn't gain anything

XR6 items are not upgrades, the are factory replacements from a different model car.

there are SOOOO many guides on some things you can do for upgrades.

I'd recommend doing some research if you're looking at getting more out of your car.

A tip - don't change your ECU.. not until you go.. WTF?? My car doesn't idle for s**t! That's que for changing ecu, and not to an XR6 one.. but a propper aftermarket ECU.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

justfordima wrote:
A tip - don't change your ECU.. not until you go.. WTF?? My car doesn't idle for s**t! That's que for changing ecu, and not to an XR6 one.. but a propper aftermarket ECU.

Cheers

Carefull Dima.... you know how powerful the EEC really is. Ive even got a certian V8 member thinking it might be a good idea to ditch the aftermarket computer and go back to standard considering the movements we have had of late in ECU hacking development.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:23 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That's another option..

But considering he wanted to "upgrade" to an XR6 ecu, somehow I doubt that he will be interested.

As for ditching an aftermarket ecu.. that's alot of effort.. (if it's all wired in and everything).

Meh, aftermarket & hacked factory (as long as it's competely controlled) is all the same s**t - ability to tune on the fly, save changes, change all running parameters, etc, etc...

If you achieve the above from a factory ecu, then what's the point of calling it factory? :-D ;-)

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:23 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

^^ And I just woke up, so if that doens't make sense.... I don't care.

......COooooofffffeeeeeeeee

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

no it makes sense, and tune on the fly, yes I can. I just thought you would appreciate being stirred up.

On a more serious note, as Dima said, you dont really upgrade to an XR ECU, as there is really very little difference between them and standard, regardless of what the seat-o-pants meter says, your pocket will be influencing your oppinions as you dont want to have just wasted a couple of hundred bucks on an ECU.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

No point changing to an XR6 ECU unless you change the cam as well. But XR6 ECU's are dear as poison s/h and the XR6 didn't really give much more than the MPEFI engine anyway.

And there are so many traps for the unwary. You need to find an XR6 HP ECU and cam, not the VCT items. Many wreckers don't even know there was a non-VCT XR6. And then the series 1 AU had a running change where Smartlock was superseded by Smartshield, and you can't use a Smartshield ECU in a Smartlock car and vice versa.

So you really need to know the catch code or part number of the ECU you want.

For very little more money (probably no more than $100 extra) you can get a Flash Tuner with generic tunes. The 98 octane tune will give you more than the XR6 cam & tune. As long as you remember to always run it on 98. It's undetectable to the naked eye and can be used for a custom tune if you later upgrade to a bigger cam.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
you dont want to have just wasted a couple of hundred bucks on an ECU.

I got quotes on an XR6 ECU last year to go with a cam I picked up. One wrecker quoted $380, the other $450. "A couple of hundred bucks" is closer to the mark for a MPEFI ECU... $150 for a WANA coded unit last time I asked.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I havnt bought an ECU for a while, as Ive been making current ECU's in to what I want them with a J3 ROM Chip, but I do agree with you that wreckers will rape you whenever something is associated with the XR or Tickford.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I always appreciate been stirred up haha.

Conclusion :

Don't get an ECU. Look at some other upgrades first, and then get an ECU (or modify factory to keep Jaysen happy lol) when you know your mods will take advantage of extra tuning...

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
I havnt bought an ECU for a while, as Ive been making current ECU's in to what I want them with a J3 ROM Chip, but I do agree with you that wreckers will rape you whenever something is associated with the XR or Tickford.

And I should have qualified what I said about Smartshield & Smartlock ECU's too. I expect someone with the tools and knowledge could mod one to work with the other security system, but ATM there aren't many people with that sort of knowledge.

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

+1

And those with the knowledge will tell you it's not worth it (unless you REALLY need it), because it's ALOT of work. Definitely nothing plug and play about it.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]