Fordmods Logo

ED 5.0L IGNITION PROBLEMS? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ED 5.0L IGNITION PROBLEMS?
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

HI FORD GUYS, I'M NEW TO THIS SITE I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD HELP? ABOUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO MY ED 5.0L STARTED TO SURGE ALITTLE WHILE DRIVING AT 100KM/H I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE FUEL FILTER SO I CHANGED IT BUT STILL THE SAME ITEN TOOK OUT SPARK PLUGS TO CLEAN THEM AND FOUND THEY WERE A RUSTY BROWN COLOUR, I CLEANED THEM UP PUT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND NOW SHE RUNS LIKE CRAP LIKE IF IT'S MISSING, I ALSO DONE THE SPARK IN THE DARK TRICK AND I NOTICED THERE WAS A FAINT BLUE SPARK AROUND THE COIL AND ON SOME OF THE PLUG LEADS, COULD THIS BE A SIGN THE IGNITION IS STUFFED? ALSO IF IT IS THE IGNITION COULD ANYONE SUGGEST ANY PERFORMANCE IGNITION PARTS PLEASE? I WAS GUNNA PUT PROCOMP ELECTRICS ON BUT AFTER READING SOME POSTS NOT TO TOUCH THEM. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS JASON. :(

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: 04BA XR8 & 06Territory Ghia

VIC, Australia

mate throw a new set of plugs & leads in it see how that goes

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

G'day Jason and welcome to FM.
Sounds like it's time to replace your plugs and leads mate. When were they last done?
Mick

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

HI FELLA'S, THANKS FOR THAT IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I HAVE PUT NEW ONES ON, PROBERLY 2 TO 3 YEARS SINCE I CHANGED IT LAST SO ITS PROBERLY LONG OVER DUE!! WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS RECOMEND TO BUY IF I WAS TO UPGRADE? AS I SAID BEFORE I WAS GUNNA PUT PROCOMP PC-91 COIL,PROCOMP LEADS,AND PROCOMP DISSYCAP AND ROTOR BUTTON, I KNOW THESE ARE CHEAP AND PROBERLY NASTY BUT I'M UNEMPLOYED AT THE MOMENT WITH THREE KIDS AND ANOTHER ON THE WAY!! I JUST WANT MY MECHANICAL PJ BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT. ALSO SEEING I'M NEW TO THIS HOW DO YOU PUT A PHOTO OF CAR ON HERE AS I WOULD LIKE SHOW MY PJ TO YOU GUYS !! IT IS A ED5.0L FAIRMONT GHIA WIYH THE EB GT FULL BODY KIT SHE TURNS HEADS EVEN FROM THE DARK SIDE!!! CHEERS AND THANKS JASON.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: 04BA XR8 & 06Territory Ghia

VIC, Australia

mate i run ngk's or bosch in mine i have no probs

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

HI TEZZA BEAR, I DO RUN THE BOSCH SUPER 4'S IN MY GT40P HEADS AND THEY ARE GREAT!! COULD I JUST CLEAN THEM UP AGAIN OR WOULD YOU RECOMEND TO BUY NEW ONE'S? ALSO WHAT DO THINK OF THE PROCOMP ELECTRONICS? CHEERS JASON . P.S I LIKE YOUR FAIRLANE AND FAIRMONT GHIA IN THE PHOTO!!!.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

When you click on post reply have a look down the bottom for a button called something like add attachments. Click that and choose each image file you want to add from your computer.

Also turn caps lock off :P

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

haha, You beat me tezza :lol:
On the plugs, I recently changed mine to Bosch Platinum Plus and I just purchased a set of Top Gun Max 300 Leads for about $80 incl postage off ebay. The Max 300 are designed for LPG so you could probably just pick up a set of Top Gun Premiums for around the $50-$60 mark. The platinum Plugs are a bit pricey, so probably not the best option if you're a bit strapped for cash.
Top gun leads off ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOP-GUN-5LTR-94- ... 18Q2el1247
On the photo question, you either have to reduce the size of your pictures to suit the upload limit of the FM uploader or if you have your pictures on a site like photbucket, you just cut and paste the link for the photo's in the post window.
Hope this helps :D
Cheers,
Mick

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

HI NC11LANE, so are you trying to tell me not to buy the procomp gear? i have the grey topgun leads and the bosch super 4's on my car now should i stick to what i've got or give the procomp gear a go? i can get the coil,leads, dissy cap and rotor button for about $150 with postage or do recomend the topgun leads? sorry if i'm sounding dumb but i'm like a old woman sometimes!!! get confused sometimes!! cheers and thanks again jason.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nah! I'm not saying to not buy the procomp gear. I can't comment as I have no experience with them, but if others have found them to be crap as you have said, then best to probably avoid them. Just telling you what I am running. You definately need to replace them though if they haven't been done for a few years.
I have the grey 8mm top guns in the Lane now, but I am replacing them due to backfire issues. They would be fine for a petrol engine. If your looking at spending $150, you would get yourself new leads and a good set of Iridium sparkplugs.
Here are a set of NGK iridiums on ebay for about half the retail price.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMODORE-VC-VH- ... dZViewItem
Just my thoughts Jason, others would probably recommend other brands/types depending on what they have used or had experience with.
Cheers,
Mick

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

HI MICK, i don't know if i was reading right about the ngk plugs would they also suit the gt40p heads? cause i have them on my motor, thats a good price for the plugs considering there usually $150. I don't know if i mentioned before my coil had a faint blue spark going around it, can faulty leads and plugs do this? thanks again mate , jason. :D

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Hi TezzaBear, :) are you still after the twin headlights? there is a set going on ebay in the xr6 car parts and accessories it is all complete and excellent condition going by the seller, but you'd better hurry there is only about 20 or so hrs left, if your still interested. I tried to reply in the wanted sectoin but it was saying i had to be a member for 30 days, good luck mate!!!.
Regards Jason :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]