Fordmods Logo

EEC V or EECIV to flush tune or J3 chip 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EEC V or EECIV to flush tune or J3 chip
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford LTD 1998

NSW, Australia

I have a 4 month 1998 ford (pony) v8 5 litre LTD (LPG converted) that is stock except I am told, from a ford enthuist who apparently has access to VIN number records that lists it as being one of 20 LTDs that have a police spec motor in it. But I have also been told that there is no such thing as a police spec motor. (But who really knows what ford America gets up to with its Mustang/Pony motors)

My rego papers and redbook all say I have a DL (EL) and from my research I understand that I most likely have a EEC V which can take a J3 chip or be flash tuned. I could also have a EEC IV which can take a J3 Chip but can not be flash tuned. Is there anyway of telling which EEC I have and if it is a EEC V is a J3 chip or a flash tune the way to go.
Also, I am planning on keeping the car till I am old and grey, in a few years time I will put a sports exhaust system on so I just want a product that will give it a few more balls for now and that can possibly be changed to suit my new exhaust in a few years when the standard one falls off or the interest rates go down and I can afford a sports system.

Any help would be welcome

Post subject: Re: EEC V or EECIV to flush tune or J3 chip
Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

welcome to fordmods

your user name says a lot about your first post hehe.
the motor you have is most likely just a standard 5.0l 8, same as every other ef/el v8.
your ecu cant be flash tuned, you can tune it with a j3, but its probably not worth it on a standard motor, read this ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/3-9l-4-0l-inline-6-modification-guide-t66.html its for a 6cyl but same concept applies.

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Hey there my bro-in-law has a ex-highway patrol EF falcon (you can see where the no.s were when he polishes it) the motor is stock it has option 20 on com plate all this means motor-wise is a different ECU (computer) that isn't really much different to stock except it has no rev limiter. btw it should be EEC-V :D welcome to the big a** society (Fairlane and LTD's) I'm sure you'll love it! :D :D

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford LTD 1998

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys, I will have to start looking at cams and heads. I changed jobs recently and travel by public transport now so I went for the LTD as a bit of a toy that I can bring out on the weekend and family trips and it has been great, just lacks a bit of overetaking grunt at 130 km. I had a stock 1997 F100 (6) for about 12 years, I dropped an 8 in (4.9 Clev) and it use to fly. My friend still joke about the fingerprints they use to leave in the dash. But this LTD is no where near the F100, but I am a family man now and the police are more cerfisticated than they were so I will be slow and careful when I do a bit to her.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]