Fordmods Logo

EF auto in limp home mode 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF auto in limp home mode
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Not sure if this is in the right place or not, but it might be helpful info.

I was working on my car for a last few days, and had the boot up. To prevent the battery going flat I removed the globe from the boot light, and put the fitting back in the hole to prevent it getting knocked.
When I took the car for a drive I noticed that it would only go into 3rd gear no mater where you put the shifter (D, 1,2,3) reverse did work. Also the interior light didn’t work, and the radio. I looked at the fuse for the radio and it was all good, but the CRT LP Fuse has blown, quick checked the boot light and noticed that it had a shorted when I put it back in without the globe. After replacing the boot globe and the fuse the radio, lights and all gears worked...
I then just did a check and removed the CRT LP fuse, and once again the auto went into limp home mode, with only 3 gear available.

Seems a bit weird that if you blow the interior light fuse the auto goes into limp home mode... :?
Anyway hope this saves someone a bit of stuffing around some day..

Cheers

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yeah I have heard that same thing as well.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: TE50

QLD, Australia

Yeh, when installing my stereo ive accidentaly shorted something and blown the cigarette lighter/interior light fuse. the car wont even start when this fuse is blown

Not great engineering really

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:58 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

SpuDEF wrote:
Yeh, when installing my stereo ive accidentaly shorted something and blown the cigarette lighter/interior light fuse. the car wont even start when this fuse is blown

Crap engineering really, especially when you also consider the common brake lamp switch failure is not indicated to drive via cluster warning lamp.
Really surprised that no recall occured with this later isssue.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Nissan Skyline

SA, Australia

SpuDef... the same thing happened to me... quite scary when uv blown that fuse (and u didnt know)... and then ur locked in ur own car, which wont start, and the windows wont go down because EVERYTHING is controlled electronically... :roll:

Thankgod for the Falcon GLi and their POVO rear manual wind down windows :?

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Toras wrote:

I would just like to correct you there because original POV GLi's got Wind-up windows allround. Its the Futuras that got Powers up front, unless you were lucky and the previous owner asked for them on the Front as an added option on their GLi.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Toras wrote:
SpuDef... the same thing happened to me... quite scary when uv blown that fuse (and u didnt know)... and then ur locked in ur own car, which wont start, and the windows wont go down because EVERYTHING is controlled electronically... :roll:

I would have just thought you could pull the "door handle" and have the door "open" automatically :)

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
SpuDEF wrote:

Crap engineering really, especially when you also consider the common brake lamp switch failure is not indicated to drive via cluster warning lamp.
Really surprised that no recall occured with this later isssue.

Cheers

Brake lamp switches are usually SPST type - if the switch fails, there is no redundant switch circuit to detect the failure. Sure a DPST switch system could improve on it but its money spent on something that rarely fails.

Post subject: Re: EF auto in limp home mode
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tjb45 wrote:
Not sure if this is in the right place or not, but it might be helpful info.

I was working on my car for a last few days, and had the boot up. To prevent the battery going flat I removed the globe from the boot light, and put the fitting back in the hole to prevent it getting knocked.
When I took the car for a drive I noticed that it would only go into 3rd gear no mater where you put the shifter (D, 1,2,3) reverse did work. Also the interior light didn’t work, and the radio. I looked at the fuse for the radio and it was all good, but the CRT LP Fuse has blown, quick checked the boot light and noticed that it had a shorted when I put it back in without the globe. After replacing the boot globe and the fuse the radio, lights and all gears worked...
I then just did a check and removed the CRT LP fuse, and once again the auto went into limp home mode, with only 3 gear available.

Seems a bit weird that if you blow the interior light fuse the auto goes into limp home mode... :?
Anyway hope this saves someone a bit of stuffing around some day..

Cheers

The CRT LP fuse in EF/EL's also powers the BEM. So if its dead, then you get no radio, no interior lighting, no demister, etc, etc. It also controls the smartlock signal to the ECU. So if the fuse is blown, the car shouldnt start. Same that if you pull the fuse it should stop the engine running, as there is no smartlock "ON" signal.

I'm surprised the car started at all with that fuse blown. Something sounds funny to me there. :shock:

You could also try drive your car with the instrument cluster unplugged. You think a fuse does funny stuff, try no cluster and see what happens. :D

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
You could also try drive your car with the instrument cluster unplugged. You think a fuse does funny stuff, try no cluster and see what happens. :D

lemme guess - no speed signal to the ECU, hence ECU doesn't know how fast you're going and auto doesn't shift.

Oh the joys of having a manual. I like driving cars, not having them drive me.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Its killer the ECU controls the box... in the V8, i have a switch which cuts the VSS signal from the trans control module...

It's a bit weird for the first gear change... it will rev right out to about 4000rpm and then shift into 2nd.. but once you get that first shift it will go into whatever gear you select...

i.e. if you select 2nd, it'll stay in 2nd... if you pull up at a red light, it will stay in 2nd. Or 3rd if you have that selected... no kickdown, no upshifting, no downshifting when you come to a stop...

Unfortunately overdrive doesnt work, but you have full manual control over 1st, 2nd and 3rd... add the shift kit and 300hp to this and the auto box comes to life :wink:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Its killer the ECU controls the box... in the V8, i have a switch which cuts the VSS signal from the trans control module...

It's a bit weird for the first gear change... it will rev right out to about 4000rpm and then shift into 2nd.. but once you get that first shift it will go into whatever gear you select...

i.e. if you select 2nd, it'll stay in 2nd... if you pull up at a red light, it will stay in 2nd. Or 3rd if you have that selected... no kickdown, no upshifting, no downshifting when you come to a stop...

Unfortunately overdrive doesnt work, but you have full manual control over 1st, 2nd and 3rd... add the shift kit and 300hp to this and the auto box comes to life :wink:

Aren't transmissions that behave a lot more fun? I'd still love to replace a torque converter in an auto with a clutch one day and have a decent auto with no slip.... Think of it, instant gear changes, heaps of engine braking, maximum power transmission to the wheels etc...

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
The CRT LP fuse in EF/EL's also powers the BEM. So if its dead, then you get no radio, no interior lighting, no demister, etc, etc. It also controls the smartlock signal to the ECU. So if the fuse is blown, the car shouldnt start. Same that if you pull the fuse it should stop the engine running, as there is no smartlock "ON" signal.

I'm surprised the car started at all with that fuse blown. Something sounds funny to me there. :shock:

Thanks, I've got a Wolf 3d running the engine, hence why it would start. I've driven the car with the dash out, with the standard ECU and didn’t notices any difference. Mind you for the past 6 months I've been driving around with the crank angle sensor disconnect from the Ford ECU and it didn’t change gears all the well. It had real trouble getting into 4th, and with the power button on, it would just hold in gear until the rev limiter.

Another thing, I think I use the fuse that was in the power windows hole to replace the CRT LP fuse, since I dont have power windows, but then the ABS check light came up on the dash.. To me it seems that ford were putting a few to many eggs in the same fuse holders. (Car wont start if interior light blows, abs stops if power windows blow....)

Cheers
Tim

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

This sounds like what my auto is doing now. Once I installed my wolf it wont go into 4th and doesnt change up dy its self unless it is in ECONOMY... in power it stays in gear, it also changes down from 3rd to second by its self when i slow down... Ive been putting it in economy so it changes up.

Does the EEC send power to the auto computer?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Not to sure about the ecu sending power to the Auto computer, Mine been an EF has the auto and ECU in the one unit. I know my problem was that the standard ECU didn’t register RPM so it couldn't accurately decide when it was a good time to change gears..
On a side note, is it possible to get a copy of how you setup your idle control, I’m having a bit of trouble with mine, it either idles too high or to low and stalls.
Cheers
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next