EF Fairmont Ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: EF Fairmiont Ghia, XH 5speed

VIC, Australia

Hey guys just a quick question for yas. i've just purchased an ef fairmont ghia and have been told that i should replace the computer with an xr6 one.. is this worth doing or will it still be the same as the standard ghia one? any help or other ideas much appreciated :)

Cheers Darcy

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont Ghia
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: el xr6, r33 series 2 skyline

Power: 149 rwkw

SA, Australia

i was told from my tunner waste of time as i have an el xr6 and tunning my ecu did nothing so i got the proper flash tuner, altho some guys on here still buy the xr6 versions

God made s**t, Holden put wheels on it

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Money spent better elsewhere.

Someone else can confirm, but wasn't the exhaust system what added the power over the fairmonts?

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

I would love to know more about this. Just discovered that the ECU I bought off eBay a while back is actually from a EF series one Fairmont Ghia auto Tickford 4.0i - catch code on the ECU is 4TBD.
I had been under the impression it was an XR6 ECU. So now I want to know what the difference is between a Tickford Fairmont Ghia and an XR6 (mechanically speaking).
Also, is there any difference as far as the ECU is concerned, if the car is manufactured with a particular diff ratio? For example, would a different ECU have been fitted to a car with 3.45 gears, compared to one with 3.08's (assuming all else is equal)?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Series 1 EF Ghias were not Tickford optioned, you will need a ECU from a series 2 EF Ghia.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Catch code still indicates that it is Tickford optioned, so it must be a series II then...

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

darcy_351 wrote:
Hey guys just a quick question for yas. i've just purchased an ef fairmont ghia and have been told that i should replace the computer with an xr6 one.. is this worth doing or will it still be the same as the standard ghia one? any help or other ideas much appreciated :)

Cheers Darcy

There are some benefits from adding the EF11 Fairmont Ghia ECU to a std Fairmont. If you add the Tickford 300kpa fuel pressure reg, as well as improving the air intake, and a sports exhaust system, including extractors, you will notice seat of the pants improvements.

In addition to improved fuel and spark maps, you also get better auto mapping and control. The auto feels much more lively, will kick down more readily, and also has a firmer change when you are giving it a bit. The auto mapping is set up for a 3.45 diff, but works fine with the 3.23 which will be in the Fairmont.

If you can get one for a good price, there is no reason NOT to do it, but spending a few bucks on the ECU alone without the other mods, is a waste.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I agree completely with that BenJ has said above as that is exactly what i have found with mine. I have a Series 1 EF Fairmont. I picked up a Tickford-spec ECU out of a Series 2 EF Fairmont Ghia (5DCA) from Pick a Part for cheap and fitted it along with the 300kpa fuel reg which i also pulled out of it. The car also had upgraded intake, extractors, sports exhaust and a mild cam at the time of fitting and i can honestly say it does make a bit of difference.

Straight away i could tell it pulled better through-out the midrange, not a huge difference but it was noticeable. As BenJ also said, it has better auto mapping. On mine it changed the shift points a bit, but it suited my driving style better, and the shifts were a bit more firmer than standard. I think the main difference i noticed with the shift points was it would hold 2nd gear just that little bit longer than the standard ecu, especially noticeable at quarter throttle which was good as i usually like to pick up speed in 2nd. Well worth the $60 odd i paid for both the ECU and fuel reg IMO

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanx guys i'll have to have a look at the code on the ecu and check out the fuel reg and the plans were full exhaust system and a custom 3inch stainless intake (with ss inductions snorkle?) to start with and go from there.. Cheers for all your help guys will keep you posted

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
I picked up a Tickford-spec ECU out of a Series 2 EF Fairmont Ghia (5DCA) from Pick a Part for cheap and fitted it along with the 300kpa fuel reg

So i've just checked my computer and the code on it was the same as the one KWIKXR purchased 5DCA and my car already has the 300kpa reg on it so does that mean i don't have to change the computer as its the same as an XR6 one? Thanks again guys all help much appreciated

Cheers Darcy

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

darcy_351 wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
I picked up a Tickford-spec ECU out of a Series 2 EF Fairmont Ghia (5DCA) from Pick a Part for cheap and fitted it along with the 300kpa fuel reg

So i've just checked my computer and the code on it was the same as the one KWIKXR purchased 5DCA and my car already has the 300kpa reg on it so does that mean i don't have to change the computer as its the same as an XR6 one? Thanks again guys all help much appreciated

Cheers Darcy

Yep, pretty much. I wouldn't bother changing to a XR6 ECU if you already have a series 2 Ghia ECU as they both have Tickford maps. Just stick with the 5DCA one you have :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

After a bit of hunting around I've come to the conclusion that my 4TBD is XR6, not Ghia - maybe I'm wrong but I'm yet to see a Fairmont with "B" in the third digit of the code. Additionally, since I've now learned that the series II Ghia (not series I) had the Tickford optioned motor, I'd expect most series II ECU's would start with a "5"...

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Just discovered that the ECU I bought off eBay a while back is actually from a EF series one Fairmont Ghia auto Tickford 4.0i - catch code on the ECU is 4TBD.

What diff ration does an EF Series One Fairmont Ghia have? 3.23 or 3.45?

Also if you fitted an XR6 ecu to a Farimont would you not loose some of the Fairmont Controls, speed sensor steering, climate control fan speed reduces with WOT, thats the only 2 I can think of atm.

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FYI

EF1 Fairmont Ghia 3.23:1 (Open Centre)
EF2 Fairmont Ghia 3.45:1 (LSD)

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]