EF I6 idle problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: EF I6 idle problem
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:13 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

When i place the GLi EF I6 instrument cluster in diagnostics mode, it can show
the average and instant fuel consumption as well as the engin RMP.

At idle, the motor seems to run smoothly with an occasional hichup at evey 30 - 60 seconds.
When the cluster is in diagnostics mode, it shows the instant fuel consumption varing from 1.1 to 2.0 and the idle speed varying from 6800 - 7400 RPM.
Is this normal ?

I have cleaned the ISC but yet to change the fuel filter.
Will changing the fuel filter fix my less than perfect idle ?

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I would say yes it would. I have had this problem and replaced the ISC and had an induction clean. My fuel filter was so blocked it I couldnt blow air through it.
My car now has a perfect idle and no flat spot after I changed the fuel filter.
If you change it get the Ryco Z373 fitler because the others that are steal cannisters dont seal as well as the aluminium ryco one. Just make sure you dont cross thread the fittings on the filter.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:38 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info.

Have you tried placing your instrument cluster in diagnostics mode ?
What sort of idle speed and fuel consumption fluctuations do you get ?

Cheers :)

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I dont know how to place the instrument cluster in diagnostics mode. I'll check it out if you tell me how to.
Cheers

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=12

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Re: EF I6 idle problem
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 02 BA XR6T

SA, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
... and the idle speed varying from 6800 - 7400 RPM.
Is this normal ?

might i suggest that if your car IDLES at 6800-7400 rpm, you must have an F1 engine :roll:
I think you mean 680 to 740 rpm ;) woulc be a much more acceptable figure for an I6 I think

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:46 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

If only i had an F1 engine
Servicing cost may be a little prohibitive though :shock:

Your right, my idle speed moves around the range 680-740.

If an EF I6 is running well, what idle speed and instant fuel consumption should be seen in the oddometer when in diagnostics mode ?

Yet to change my fuel filter as i am in the middle of installing a cruise control to the GLi auto. Hope to have it finished by end of this weekend (still need to find steering wheel buttons). Then i can replace the fuel filter and see if idle speed issues are further improved :D

Cheers

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:38 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well today i finally got around to changing the fuel fitler with a repco branded unit.

Whoever designed placement of the fuel filter and routing of the fuel pipes should be shot. What should have been a very simple and short job took ages.

Seems the front facing pipe from the filter tends to get bent a little when removing the filter so the nut never lines up with the pipe and thread on the filter. This results in fuel leaks. I would recommend that the front facing pipe is connected first and then the rear facing pipe.

Well after all that f**k-ing around, the engine still does not idle sweetly and occassional miss.

There have been lots of talk about cleaning the ICS valve and the throttle valve. What about the butterfly valves under the loopy thing on the inlet manifold. How do i check it is working OK, what does it do, can it effect the idle and does it get dirty ?

I have changed leads, plugs, coilpack, cleaned throttle and ISC, checked for air leaks..... What more can it be ?

Cheers

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
I have changed leads, plugs, coilpack, cleaned throttle and ISC, checked for air leaks..... What more can it be ?

Cheers

If you have checked and replaced everything I reckon the last thing to do would be to obviously change the Fuel you are using. Because I found I use to have a constant idle hick-up like yours when I used Shell Optimax. Then I changed to BP Ultimate and after a couple of tanks of using it I found I no longer had the Issue with my Idle and she started purring like normal. I thought this hard to believe so I went back to using Shell Optimax to see if this was the case.. Guess what? My EL started idling like s**t again.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Post subject: ItchiOne
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

try ecu reset to retune & relearn idle settings especially after throttle body clean.
1 Disconnect Earth neg lead at battery for a few minutes.
2 make sure everything is off radio aircon fan etc.
3 reconect lead ,start engine,drive normaly
4 engine may run rough a while until the computer relearns idle settings,
mal.

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Correct way toset idle speed after battery disconnection is:
1. Run engine until operating temp reached and thermostat opened.
2. The engine should then be idled for approx 1 minute in each of the following conditions ( total idling time approx 4 minutes)
3. Neutral with all electrical loads OFF.
4. Neutral with Air conditioning ON.
5 Drive with all electrical loads off.
6. Drive with Air conditioning ON.
NOTE DO NOT TOUCH THE ACCELLERATOR DURING ANY PERIOD OF THE ADAPTIVE PROCESS.
:D 8-)

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:49 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
...I found I use to have a constant idle hick-up like yours when I used Shell Optimax. Then I changed to BP Ultimate and after a couple of tanks of using it I found I no longer had the Issue with my Idle and she started purring like normal...

The car is designed to run on unleaded so i shouldn't need to use 98 octain just to have a decent idle.

mal wrote:
try ecu reset to retune & relearn idle settings especially after throttle body clean.

This has been done a number of times over the last week as i have cleaned under the battery and finally installed my cruise buttons and airbag.

GTBob wrote:
Correct way to set idle speed after battery disconnection is:
1. Run engine until operating temp reached and thermostat opened.
2. The engine should then be idled for approx 1 minute in each of the following conditions ( total idling time approx 4 minutes)
3. Neutral with all electrical loads OFF.
4. Neutral with Air conditioning ON.
5 Drive with all electrical loads off.
6. Drive with Air conditioning ON.
NOTE DO NOT TOUCH THE ACCELLERATOR DURING ANY PERIOD OF THE ADAPTIVE PROCESS.

I have read a number of methods to 'learn' after battery disconnection but isn't it only the TPS limits that are learnt and primarily for auto change points. I thought all other ECU functions are controlled by sensors and there is nothing further to learn. Is this right or wrong ?

Cheers

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

This setting is VERBATIM from genuine FORD EF/EL workshop manual and if done correctly IT WORKS CORRECTLY. :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:38 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

GTBob wrote:
This setting is VERBATIM from genuine FORD EF/EL workshop manual and if done correctly IT WORKS CORRECTLY. :D :D

Thanks for the info :D

Below is what i cut (and kept) from another post. Can't remember which one or who made it though :(

Quote:
Okay this is what it tells you to do- (Straight from manual)

'Any time the battery is disconnected, the transmission must tre-learn the closed and wide-open throttle positions to enable the PCM to determin the proper gear to select for the appropriate throttle position. If the calibration is not perfromed following power source interuption, the transmission will shift hard and perform poorly'.

calibration

2- drive the car to normal engine temp
3- verify that the idle is correct
4- set the closed throttle refereance position by placing the transmission in D, air con off, and let the engine idle for a minimum of 1 minute.
5- Next, set the wide-open throttle reference position by turning the engine off- but leave the ignition switch ON, then press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it for 1 mintue minimum.
6- Place the gear selector in Park and switch off the ignition. Drive the vehicle and check for prpper shifting patterns.

How many reset/relearn/calibration procedures are there and what is actually reset/relearnt/recalibrated anyway ?

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]