Fordmods Logo

EF XR6 Motor, Running EL ECU, Is it worth .... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EF XR6 Motor, Running EL ECU, Is it worth ....
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Hey all ... as you all know, or most of you will know from my last posts, Im running a EF XR6 motor in my ED now .. (T5 manual)

Now, I had a ditch the coil packs and crank angle sensor, But Im just running a standard EL GLI ecu ..

Just wondering, Because I don't know much about the ECU's, is it work upgrading it so a EL XR6 ECU? ... Do the XR6 ECU's make much of a difference? .. if so, what differences are there between the stock EL ECU's and the XR6 ECU's ... Do that have difference map timing? .. or IGN timing? .

Im not really fussed about weather its an auto ECU or manual ... I've done any mod's to ECU's to make auto ones think they are manual ones ..

But yeah, Just wondering what the difference is? ... like anymore power from the XR6 ecu's? .

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

If you're chasing more kw i dont think this is the best way to go about it...

The EL XR6 ECU is likely to have slightly more aressive timing/fueling than the stock EL ECU to make the most of the tickford engine's features (which i believe arise in the head design and maybe cam). But if anything like an XR8, the handful of kw came from a better exhaust.

IMO your money would be better spent elsewhere.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah, not after more kw from it, just wondering if it would match the motor better than a stock el ecu .

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:34 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

I think the auto shift points are a bit more aggressive too ? ie - closer to redline ??

I guess it ultimately depends on how far you are going to go with your car...if you have crazy mods planned, then it probably isn't the best bang for your buck...

My 2c,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Are you using the XR6 injectors and fuel pressure regulator or your originals? The injectors may be the same but the XR6 used a higher fuel pressure.

If you are using the originals you need to be using a normal ECU, if you are using XR6 items you need the XR6 ECU.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

raiki wrote:
Are you using the XR6 injectors and fuel pressure regulator or your originals? The injectors may be the same but the XR6 used a higher fuel pressure.

If you are using the originals you need to be using a normal ECU, if you are using XR6 items you need the XR6 ECU.

Yeah, everything was complete on the EF XR6 motor, injectors, fuel reg etc, but just running a standard EL ECU

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

au2low wrote:
Yeah, everything was complete on the EF XR6 motor, injectors, fuel reg etc, but just running a standard EL ECU

In that case I'd say your running a bit rich. Higher fuel flow, because of the increased pressure, for the time of the original injectors.

With the same injectors, IIRC, new flow = old flow * SQRT(new pressure/old pessure). = 19lb/hr * SQRT(300/270)= 20lb/hr (about 5%)

Your computer may have learnt by now using the O2 sensor. You will get better performance with the XR6 ECU but again not by a huge amount.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

raiki wrote:
au2low wrote:

In that case I'd say your running a bit rich. Higher fuel flow, because of the increased pressure, for the time of the original injectors.

With the same injectors, IIRC, new flow = old flow * SQRT(new pressure/old pessure). = 19lb/hr * SQRT(300/270)= 20lb/hr (about 5%)

Your computer may have learnt by now using the O2 sensor. You will get better performance with the XR6 ECU but again not by a huge amount.

Yeah, my O2 sensor was the only thing that was from the ED motor lol .

But i thought all the O2 sensors where the same? >

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The O2 sensors are all the same. Your computer will notice you are running rich by reading the O2 sensor and shorten the pulses to your injectors to compensate.

These EECs are pretty clever beasts. Because of the very small pulse difference I wouldn't bother getting the XR6 ECU. A lot of money and f**k about for little benefit.

Adrian

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]