EL thermo control 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL thermo control
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Gday people, ive always had el fans in my eb, now that i have the EL ecu ive decided to run the EL fans off the computer, problem, ive got the relay box and wiring harness now installed, (3 relay system) problem is there is 3 signal wires going into the box, 2 signal from the computer as far as i know, so what i have done , is run 1 of the signal wire as power from the ignition and the other 2 off the computer,

Comp pin 33- Plain BLUE
Comp pin 53- RED Green

Ignition Signal- BLUE-white

i cant tell if this is wrong, but the way it works at the moment, the fans dont run with the ignition on, but with the car on they always run at "low" speed, i dont think this is right and i dont know whether high speed will work and i have tried leaving them unplugged till its hot and pluggin em in and i dont know if high speed ran, Has anyone got a diagram, That would be most helpfull
Thankyou

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

All your solutions are here:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=54

Enjoy, and good luck!

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Post subject: been there
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

i been on there, those are only useful if i owned an EF-EL , it doesnt have a diagram showing where the signal wires go from the relays unfortunatly, thanks anyway!

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit

Post subject: Got the diagram
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:10 am 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

I bit the bullet and bought the repair manual, The red green is Ignition Switch, the blue wires are ECU signal, hooked it up that way, now they are stuck on high speed arghhhhhhhh..........

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:39 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Double check your fan wiring, and make sure it's exactly as per the EL setup - it may already be correct, and another ECU input is causing them to run at full speed.
The only possible causes I can think of right now are:
1. If the eng temp sensor is disconnected,
2. In the auto manual conversion, if the trans oil temp wires are open circuit, or
3. A/C is on
Be wise to get the EEC IV & V pin out info from the doco area and compare.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Thanks mate
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

Ive got the fan wiring exactly right, but there will be other factors like you say, I belive the ECU is in LIMP HOME MODE, because i have yet to wire the auto to the ecu and its still running the stand alone automatic TCU, do you think this could cause the fans to run at full speed?? Thanks for helping.

Post subject: Also
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

Seeing i own an EB 1, to get the Auto running off the ECU can i simply buy the EL auto loom up to the plug, get the ECU plug from an EL and just match the colours together?? will the auto run right or is the EL auto differant?

Post subject: Re: Also
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
Ive got the fan wiring exactly right, but there will be other factors like you say, I belive the ECU is in LIMP HOME MODE, because i have yet to wire the auto to the ecu and its still running the stand alone automatic TCU, do you think this could cause the fans to run at full speed?? Thanks for helping.
Yep, from my last post - 2. In the auto manual conversion, if the trans oil temp wires are open circuit. As a temp fix, you can get a 1.2k 1/4 watt resistor, bend the legs and press them into the back of pins 42 & 46 of the ECU plug - your fans should stop screaming.

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
Seeing i own an EB 1, to get the Auto running off the ECU can i simply buy the EL auto loom up to the plug, get the ECU plug from an EL and just match the colours together?? will the auto run right or is the EL auto differant?
You can do that, or transfer the wires from the separate TCM to the corresponding EL ECU pins.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Fans
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

Thanks mate, been a big help, I think in 2 weeks ill just wire the auto over to the ECU will solve alot of my problems i think, mainly fans operating to quick and fuel consumption badly up the s**t.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:06 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

NP :P . Yeah, better to integrate it all with the EL ECU.

Post subject: NP
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

yeah i agree, gotta get a bloody trip comp to suit also, damn it lol

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, that's a bit of a pain - I think a few have said they've tried the existing TC with an EL ECU and it didn't work. I suppose you could hook up the EL dataline and see what happens. The EL dataline has the speed sensor O/P rolled into it, as opposed to a separate TC input.
Possibly you may be able to put the EL TC internals into an EB TC case - I've got a few of both, I suppose I should have a look sometime.

Post subject: hmmm
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

If thats possible to put the EL tc stuff inside the EB case that would be awesome otherwise ill just custom fit it into the eb and repaint it, is it easy to wire electronically, its a fairmont so its already got the data line but the eb tc was out of whack sat on like 85L per 100 and get better instant economy when u floor it lol

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Easiest way is to compare the EA/ED TC doco to the EF/EL one.
I've fitted an EF/EL TC to my XH (which never had one from factory): http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ht=xh+trip .
So never say never . . . . .

Post subject: hmmm
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:23 am 
Fordmods Junkie

QLD, Australia

I think ill just go the easy path and fit the EL tc into my dash with a bit of cutting and glueing :P, Nice job with ur TC by the way that looks shmicko.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next