Fordmods Logo

EL WONT START 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: EL WONT START
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Posted: Today at 6:55 pm Post subject: EL WON'T START

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as i stated in a previous post i have been doing some minor work on my car and xince then the bastard wont start.
All i have had off is the big rubber elbow (with Ford printed on it) that connects the plastic air intake snorkle to the throttle body.
Ten i renoved the Idle Speed Control (ISC) cleaned it out, put it back on and took the thing that goes on the end of the butterfly shaft and realised that this part isnt serviceable so i put it back on.
The rubber elbow was off all night and when i finished reasembleing the car would turn over but not fire up. PLEASE HELP ME.[/b]

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

O.k., three reasons why an engine wont work:

1: electrical fault

2: mechanical fault

3: no fuel.

Electrical : fuel pump working? you can often hear it whine by openong the fuel cap and putting you ear over the opening.
Injectors working? You can often hear them clicking by putting a piece of garden hose against one.
Plugs sparking? Grab or buy an induction timing light and put it on a lead. This will tell you yes or no.

Mechanical: valves opening and closing? Pistons going up and down (don't laugh, it happens!!)

Fuel: see #1, and check things like filter and even if there is any in the tank (again don't laugh, I rescued someone the other day who's car wouldn't go. The first thing I did was pour 5 litres in and it went, so did she with a red face)

Check the connector to the black thing on the end of the butterfly shaft. It's called the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) make sure all the wires are in.

Another thing you could do to check fuel is try to start it, pull out a plug and see if it is wet, or smells of petrol. This can be an indication of fuel getting through, but no spark

Good luck :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]