Fordmods Logo

electrical problem, i'm totally stumped 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: electrical problem, i'm totally stumped
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Ute

VIC, Australia

ok i will start at the beginning, since that seems to be the current trend in this day and age.... :P

I have an 93 XG GLi Ute, Column s**t auto. on gas and petrol

One night i drove to my girls house. parked the car and it was left for about 4-5 hours like that. then uopn trying to start the car, nothing happened. the car wouldnt start on gas or petrol.

upon getting the car towed home. got a friend to have a look at the car, hes an auto electrician. he couldnt pinpoint exactly but from his basic look he believed that the ECU was a factor, since there was evidence of water corrosion on the casing.

so i got the car down to an auto electrician. he gives the car a good lookover. changes the dizzy, coil, plugs lead etc. all of which were fcuked. as well provifing me with a second hand ECU.

he said that every time he took the car for a test drive with this new ecu it ran fine. however i go to pick it up, the car was running crap, and then wouldnt start at all. the new ECU was taken out and seemed to be crapped as well. so it cut my losses, limped the car home using an EA MULTIPOINT manual ECU (making the car stuck in second).

so then i fork out the money to get a reconditioned ECU of the exact same part number as the original. once again nothing is working.

im no expert but at the moment in leaning towards a problem with the smartlock system within the car itself. the car works fine with the EA ECU and that as far as i know does not use the smartlock system.

basically im need of suggestions of what to look at next. and if possible if there are any ways to actually disable the smartlock in my ute, to see if that would make the car start. since the smartlock really does nothing.

sorry if this is confusing to anybody. dont really now how to explain it any better.

cheers

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Hows the fuel pump? possibly not enough fuel pressure.

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XG Ute

VIC, Australia

fuel pressure is fine. just to reiterate, the car runs perfectly with the EA ECU in, but theres no go with the XG ECU

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Well you keep mentioning the smart lock,why dont you replace the smartlock module.But to me doesnt sound like it and plus its hard to say what to go and look at,because we cant experience the fault that is happening.Does the engine crank with your original computer?Does it miss when running?Does it stall when you put it in gear?Please explain in more depth please,i would like to help.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

AFAIK smartlock will not allow the car to start, it doesnt affect the cars running if it has been started

have you made sure the timing is set correctly using the new ECU? Try a diagnostic on the new ECU, if its stuffed it'll spit a code. No idea why the EA runs the engine fine though

too many rabbits in china

Post subject: Re: electrical problem, i'm totally stumped
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

sam_c_m wrote:

One night i drove to my girls house. parked the car and it was left for about 4-5 hours like that. then uopn trying to start the car, nothing happened. the car wouldnt start on gas or petrol.

Next time it happens, try hitting the top of the dash with your hand. Its fairly common for the solder joints to crack in the smartlock module, and hitting the dash is enough to make the cracked joints move slightly to make connection. If this solves it, you will need to take the smartlock module out and go over the pcb with a soldering iron and some solder.

Post subject: Smartlock
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

Leave the key on for 30 mins with the normal recon ecu, if it starts and runs fine, it is an smartlock issue. The bem on most cars ( Body Electric Module) verifies that and sends to the ecu that its okey to start upon igition turning. Thats what ussualy fails, bashing the dash sometimes connects a broken solder inside. I'm not sure if XG's had a BEM as they are an XF ute - EB hybrid. I think they might, but then again i havn;'t ever replaced on in my workplace.

Muff

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

my father had the trouble of the ED Falcon not starting as he started it he hit the dashboard near the brake handle and it started good then he had the smart lock replaced and it started good ever since

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]