Fordmods Logo

Erratic idle * mechanic doesn't know * PLEASE HELP 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Erratic idle * mechanic doesn't know * PLEASE HELP
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

I have terrible problems with my EF Fairmont (6). In the morning when I start the car, idle goes up and than down rapidly and car passes out. When I repeat, same thing happens. I went to mechanic who changed petrol pump, computer, idle solenoid and TPS sensor motor and nothing fixing the problem.

Today I started the engine, same story getting even worst. Even in PARKED rrp goes below 500. Than I had to dodge erratic idle, holding brake and acceleration pedal quick shifting in drive gear to be able to start driving. Once when I'm driving goes ok, approaching traffic light...stop on traffic light and rrp drops rapidly from 700 to 500 for 2-3 seconds and than again jumps on previous in between 700-600. Intervals in between this erratic drops and ups, I measured is about 30 seconds apart.

I asked my mechanic is it Carbon build up in Injectors cause of problem, he said that I will waist my money on cleaning of injectors, that problem is 'something else" but he don’t know what. His computer could not find the problem.

I'm become very depressed; beside of money that I spend, I can't find the problem. I'm living in Melbourne on Western Side...

Anybody please HEEEELLLLPPPPPPPP

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

crank angle sensor can cause those problems, but if he's done a test for error codes that would have come up as an error

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I think that injectors never been cleaned on this car after 260.000. What do you think...?

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi

put the car on a Electrajet machine costs start at about $135 +gst just have the vehicle anaylized

at least u can see the electronics of the car in operation

If u know how to u can perform a selftest mode and extract any codrs the EEC5 may have logged on its system

eratic ideal can be a number of things causing it so i wont have a stab in the dark

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that... Where to take car for Electrajet machine...to Ford Service or...? Self-test I don't know how to do it, my knowledge about car is very limited I have to admit.

I love my car and would like to keep it, also I was thinking, this is a last time, to take it to the mechanic and than again and again...

As I said...he changed petrol pump, computer, idle solenoid and TPS sensor, what else could be?

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the list is endless

ef with there ignition systems are prone for coil packs and spark plug leads and like some one said the crank angle sensor , all these items can be checked with a simple multimeter if the tester knows what he is doing.

firstly u should ask has the mechanic u have been seeing has he got the right tools to test ur car ??? and does he know what he is doing is the other question ?

i seen a car that was backwards and forwards to a ultra tune store several times and it was a EF and it was a simple inlet manifold gasket leak , im not saying thats the same problem on ur car but yes can be alot things which one well thats the million dollar question

i do have electrajet and engine analyser and chassis and engine dyno and scan tools to make vehicle diagnoses quickly , but another method is more labour intense is with a simple multimeter and if u know how things work

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Can I bring my car to you're service?

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi

sorry totally forgot about this post
Yes its fine up to u
I'm in St Albans
I apologizes

cheers

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

they dont like to idle with a vacume leak!! just check that all vacume hoses are conected.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]