Fuel gauge jumping 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel gauge jumping
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR6 EF

WA, Australia

Hey Ford peoples

I've had a fuel gauge problem on my EF XR6 for awhile. At first it was jumping from full to empty regardless of the amount of fuel that was in it. Then it seemed to give up and just sit on empty. Recently I've cleaned the fuel injectors and put injector cleaner in the tank and that seemed to do something. The gauge worked for a bit but now won't come down from full.

I'm guessing the sensor needs to be cleaned or something like that. Maybe faulty wires somewhere along the line. In any case I'd like to check the sensor just to make sure. If anyone has written up a doco about how to get to it that would be awesome. Also if anyone else knows what I should look at that might cause the problem, that too would be awesome.

Thanks

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: V8 LTD DC

VIC, Australia

Check the tensioning ring which is holding sender on place. (You need to unscrew 6 or 8 screws holding metal cover inside the left front part of the boot under the carpet). Possible the ring became loose. To check this you can try to rotate sender by hand an if it is moving - you got what you are looking for. To tension ring properly you will need a special tool (AUD36), but you can also use a big thick (not sharp!) screwdriver and hammer (I will not be responsible if you will broke something!) :)

BA XT Wagon 2004 -daily driver
LTD DCII V8 1993
NC-1 1991
NA-II Sportsman 1990- budget project going very slow: full respray is in progress, XR6 engine, rebuild auto, lowered, 3.45 LSD, extractors, LTD leather electric seats, thermofans, NF door trims, NF door handles, complete NCII wiring.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:57 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Ok. Point one. Try not to break things. Thanks. I will try this and see what happens. Really annoying trying to guess when your low on fuel

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Well I checked it all out and it seems to be pretty tight. Looks pretty old though. Might be time to replace it if that's also connected to the sensor. I had talked to ford before and they said that the part that does the fuel sensing, ford don't make anymore. I don't know what part they're talking about but does anyone else know about this? If so, is there an aftermarket one I can get?

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Look like they are talking about wariable resistor which is possible be worn. If so you can buy a compleate sender from wreckers for 30-50 dollars.

LTD DCII V8 1993
NC-1 1991
NA-II Sportsman 1990- budget project going very slow: full respray is in progress, XR6 engine, rebuild auto, lowered, 3.45 LSD, extractors, LTD leather electric seats, thermofans, NF door trims, NF door handles, complete NCII wiring.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

If I get one from a wreckers, aren't I buying someone else's problem?

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

It's a lottery with used parts like with used car, you never know definitely.
But some wreckers provide an exchange option for parts they are selling. And if you do the job by yourself it will be not a lot of troubles to exchange faulty part.
P.S. You can try to measure the resistance on sender contacts, may it be an electrical problem.

LTD DCII V8 1993
NC-1 1991

Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

You have a bad earth,as we all do.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]