NSW, Australia

so it was easy eh? can u give me a breif description on what ya done man,

cheers

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Umm okay:
- Lift boot carpet up and take off metal panel covering the fuel pump/sender (has 6 screws)

- When panel removed take the two black hoses off and just push them to the side, they are held on by a tricky clip (just use a small flatblade screwdriver to get them off). The right hose is to the engine and the left hose is the fuel return (DO NOT get them crossed over putting them back on!) Disconnect the two electrical plugs, ones for the fuel gauge and the other for the pump.

- Right, this is a pain in the a***, take the big plastic ringnut off the top of the tank anticlockwise (its about 150mm in diameter). Its best to use a big flatblade screwdriver and a rubber mallet, it will take a bit to eventually get the nut to move and keep moving the screwdriver to the next rib so you dont bust them all off.

- This is the easiest part, lift the whole pump and sender unit out of the tank (be careful not to snag the sender float and have an old towel or rag handy)

- Cut the big cable tie holding the pump to the bracket and unplug the electrical connections.

- Note the black isolator pad on the bottom of the pump -keep it! This centers the pump on the bracket.

-Take the black filter sock off the pump.

-I actually had to bend the bracket slightly to swing the pump out, but once you have dont bother about keeping the plastic coupling (between pump and metal outlet tube) replace it with EFI hose (supplied) and a couple of stainless clamps. Also keep the sound deadening that came off the old pump.

- Reverse procedure, put new pump in with same isolator pad and sound deadening foam, EFI hose and clamps and bend bracket back into shape.

-Replace the old filter sock with new (supplied) and put new cable tie around pump and bracket like the old one you took off. Plug in the two electrical connectors.

- DOUBLE CHECK AND TRIPLE CHECK EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE!

- Carefully plonk the pump back into the tank (careful with the sender float!) and do the ringnut back up again nice and tight so it doesn't leak you see!

- Replace hoses the right way around and plug in electrical connectors. It would be a safe bet to replace the fuel filter while you're dirty too.

Just a tip too, fold down the back seat and have a fan on full speed behind you so you don't sniff all those lovely petterul fyoomsh

- Sit back and enjoy a coldie! Remember beer is not just a breakfast drink anymore! :wink: If i've forgotten anything please lut us know!

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

kewl, ill give it ago tommorow. Sounds pretty straight forward..

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:46 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

do u have to modify anything in the tank to fot a walbro pump? i fitted one to my cousins vr4 last week and we had to change the bracket slightly. or is it a direct replacement for the standard pump?

EF XR8 - 5speed, Extractors & Exhaust

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

The_Jackal wrote:
do u have to modify anything in the tank to fot a walbro pump? i fitted one to my cousins vr4 last week and we had to change the bracket slightly. or is it a direct replacement for the standard pump?

The Walbros fit straigt in, you don't need to modify the bracket etc.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah i changed my fuel pump over. Still haven't got that ridiculous hose clamp back to tight...but its annoying, i think its just a safeguard from the vibrations loosening that black ring. To anyone whos doing it...clean the whole space around the fuel pump thoroughly before you take it out..and when you put it in make sure that the black o ring that seals it is CLEAN. I had problems with leakage :?

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
The_Jackal wrote:

The Walbros fit straigt in, you don't need to modify the bracket etc.

The Walbros are alot smaller but fit in the bracket well. On mine I had to modify the wiring as the plug was different... otherwise a straight swap

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

This all sounds like fun,

I'm about to convert my car to efi and are having trouble deciding what to do in relation to the pump.
Xf wagons have a high pressure pump outside the tank mounted above the diff, not a problem to change or fix.

The question is which one do i get? Do i get a standard pump or an aftermarket pump?

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

I paid $230 for the EF XR6 Fuel pump I put in my EA

Factory Specifications are Optional

1988 EA Fairmont Ghia Retired after 11yrs
1999 AU Fairmont Written off :(
2003 BA XR6 Written off :(
2001 AU Falcon - Run around
2005 SY Territory Ghia

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

EF xr6 has the same pump as an EA... EA to EL are all the same

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

hey can a sign of a fuel pump dieing be if its not holding pressure at high rpm in a gear ? im yet to try another fuel punp to see if it fixes my problem.

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Grechie wrote:
hey can a sign of a fuel pump dieing be if its not holding pressure at high rpm in a gear ? im yet to try another fuel punp to see if it fixes my problem.

Yes that is a normal sign of a dying fuel pump or too much power for the pump (but thats normally 200rwkw+). The injectors are pumping out too much fuel for the pump to keep up with therefore the pressure drops.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

Heh, driving down to rosebud, on the highway, heard my fuel pump makin a few noises, i was hoping she'd last till tuesday being new years eve and all, but she didnt make it :( so it'll have to be replaced down in rosebud, i'v had to return home without me car, which kinda sucks, but hopefully it wont cost too much, i'm expecting around $200, anyone ever been to the place next to bilo on point neapean hwy in rosebud to get work done? do they over charge if ya have?

If it happened at home, i woulda replaced it myself, i guess i was at the wrong place at the wrong time :) and i wasnt going to fork out $225 to tow it home!

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2