Fuel pump relay 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Fuel pump relay
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

Would a faulty fuel pump relay cause the car to cut out, but cut in again as soon as the throttle is moved?

Or I'll rephrase it a bit - does the fuel pump relay change state depending on the throttle position?

I'm still trying to sort out this 'power cut' thing I've got going on :lol:

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Post subject: Re: Fuel pump relay
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

mr_sperm1 wrote:
Would a faulty fuel pump relay cause the car to cut out, but cut in again as soon as the throttle is moved?

Or I'll rephrase it a bit - does the fuel pump relay change state depending on the throttle position?

I'm still trying to sort out this 'power cut' thing I've got going on :lol:

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump relay remains on the whole time as the fuel pump needs to be constantly pressurised and the fuel presure regulator takes care of the fine tuning. Need more info about this cutting out. Sounds electrically realated. Could be a faulty tps.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

^^^This is correct. Earth the top RH pin of the diagnosis connector, turn IGN on - if the pump runs continuously without cutting off, then the Fuel pump relay and ECU relays are okay.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I have tried the diagnostics - no fault there.

The actual problem is that the car will cut power at any random time. When it does cut power, the Smartlock light comes on and the ECON light comes on. I don't like seeing auto box warning lights in a 5 speed :P

I can be sitting at the lights and it will cut out. I have only just noticed that if I move the throttle at all, it will fire up straight away instead of sitting there cranking like it was. However, it isn't jsut an idle thing - have been doing 80km/h and it has done the same, will do it when accelerating, just whenever it wants to. I can't even pin it down to hot/cold/wet/dry weather!

I was thinking it could be a smartlock issue, but it will not stop an already running car so have ruled that out.

I have posted in the Wanted forum for a Manual EF ECU to see if that fixes it, but don't like the odds of finding one easily :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

reminds me of similar problem where the ignition barrel was faulty, and the smartlock couldn't verify whether the car had been immobilised, if it happens again, try jiggling the key around.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:18 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Could also be faulty Ignition System.
The ECON lamp lights up when there is a big engine fault.
Regardless of Transmission

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

mr_sperm1 wrote:
I was thinking it could be a smartlock issue, but it will not stop an already running car so have ruled that out.
Normally it shouldn't, but it does operate in IGN or START - rule it out by pulling the CRT LP fuse after startup, and drive around - refit it and pull it on subsequent starts, if your probs stop, then the BEM or IGN barrel could be suspect.

mr_sperm1 wrote:
I have posted in the Wanted forum for a Manual EF ECU to see if that fixes it, but don't like the odds of finding one easily :lol:
you can interchange many bits from the XH to EF, BEM included, not ECU unfortunately. Use this luxury to your advantage.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
mr_sperm1 wrote:
Normally it shouldn't, but it does operate in IGN or START - rule it out by pulling the CRT LP fuse after startup, and drive around - refit it and pull it on subsequent starts, if your probs stop, then the BEM or IGN barrel could be suspect.

Top idea! Downside being the loss of BEM controlled options (ie variable wipers, radio etc), correct? Not a big deal - only gets driven once or twice a week.

snap0964 wrote:
mr_sperm1 wrote:
you can interchange many bits from the XH to EF, BEM included, not ECU unfortunately. Use this luxury to your advantage.

Have to wait until the Easter break for that - need it to get to work, and I only get one day off a week :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

mr_sperm1 wrote:
Top idea! Downside being the loss of BEM controlled options (ie variable wipers, radio etc), correct? Not a big deal - only gets driven once or twice a week.
You lose courtesy lights, smartlock, radio - possibly others, but you'll have the essentials.
mr_sperm1 wrote:
Have to wait until the Easter break for that - need it to get to work, and I only get one day off a week.
There's plenty you can do in between - or just put up with it cutting out . . . :cry:

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
mr_sperm1 wrote:
Have to wait until the Easter break for that - need it to get to work, and I only get one day off a week.
There's plenty you can do in between - or just put up with it cutting out . . . :cry:

Should have worded that better - need the XH to get to work in :lol:
It's bad enough driving that with the TPS way out of range. Whoever desgined the location of the TPS on a log manifold should be shot imo :P

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

XH's are well worth a BBM conversion - throw in a std EF cam: This combo does make a difference.
Your EF TPS will swap over.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

And here I was trying to keep the XH as a stocko runabout...

Is the extra BBM wiring is there for the conversion? I could search, but lunch is calling me :P

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, don't want to neglect lunch.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/xh-eec-i ... t4352.html

Neil101 isn't totally correct - I did talk to him in person and he said his info was heresay.
I tested my XH ECU with the BBM, and it did operate correctly on startup and on running below 3800 RPM - didn't check if it switched runners above 3800 RPM.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

could you use say the wiring in a shift light to switch the BBM at a set rpm?

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Just gotta pull some of the gas crap out of the way to get at it better - want to adjust it and see if that helps before i go down the BBM route!

Anyway, back on topic....

I'll give the CRTLP fuse pull trick a go on the weekend!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next