Fordmods Logo

gas tanks 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: gas tanks
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1938

Joined: 10th Nov 2004

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

Location: THE DRUITT
NSW, Australia

why is it in a E series wagon you can have the gas tank mounted under the car where as the sedan you can't?
has anyone got a tank that is not mounted to the back seat in their E-series sedan?

 

_________________

MEMBER 1390

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

you could get a donut shaped tank and put it were the spare wheel is in a sedan.

otherwise i don't see why you can't remove the petrol tank and put it there? if your going dedicated LPG

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: gas tanks
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
why is it in a E series wagon you can have the gas tank mounted under the car where as the sedan you can't?
has anyone got a tank that is not mounted to the back seat in their E-series sedan?


well for 1 there is more room under teh rear floorpan of the wagons!
also when a wagon is converted the spare wheel is moved to the rear cargo space on the drivers side

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:11 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
you could get a donut shaped tank and put it were the spare wheel is in a sedan.

otherwise i don't see why you can't remove the petrol tank and put it there? if your going dedicated LPG


If you going pure LPG then you need the engien re "configured" to handle 100% LPG
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
you could get a donut shaped tank and put it were the spare wheel is in a sedan.

otherwise i don't see why you can't remove the petrol tank and put it there? if your going dedicated LPG


If you going pure LPG then you need the engien re "configured" to handle 100% LPG


And how do you reconfigure the engine? I don't really believe that the modify the engine on cars running straight LPG, after all it;'s the same fuel as duel fuelers use when on LPG isint it?
It's not a lot more work to go straight LPG, and the restult is that the car runs better on LPG. Only downside is the car takes a bit longer to start.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
If you going pure LPG then you need the engien re "configured" to handle 100% LPG


and what a dual fuel car running on lpg is not 100% lpg? hahahah tool!

with dedicated lpg cars their is no fuel rail or injectors so if u go dedicated lpg your injectors will clog up from no use

have a look at the egas cars they have no injectors etc and will take 3 revolutiosn of teh crank to start rather than the dual fuel falcons ( from ford ) which start on petrol then switch to gas auto

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
have a look at the egas cars they have no injectors etc and will take 3 revolutiosn of teh crank to start rather than the dual fuel falcons ( from ford ) which start on petrol then switch to gas auto


Even so, the Egas Falcons arn't bad to start, they take longher, but they have a warning sticker on the window to tell you that too, and who can't spare another second or two to start there car?

Alot of people who have converted from petrol to straight LPG sometimes still leave all the petrol gear there just disconnected.

If your running a duel fueler and your mainly on LPG yes yoiur injectors will get cloged up a bit, but they will still work, though not as efficently. And who gives a toss as your running on LPG instead anyways?
And if you ever want to go back to petrol just have the injectors cleaned. Yes, it may cost, but the money you'll save filling up with LPG over petrol will more than cover that! Chances are you won't go back though, unless LPG gets the taxs everyone talks about.

A lot of aftermarket systems also start on petrol and automatically switch over.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 4307

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

Location: Mornington Peninsula
VIC, Australia

theres really nothing to fit under the a*** of a eseries sedan in terms of LPG tanks, i'd like to be corrected but i'm yet to find anything that will fit decently.
the fuel tank is about 20cm thick, so u'd need an LPG tank to be within that diametre to go without clearance problems.

the other option is the spare wheel well... but even that is seeming difficult (not to mention expensive).

some LPG places won't do spare wheel well installs in falcon's due to lack of bracing, but it can be done.

 

_________________

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 11791

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

Location: SE Melb
VIC, Australia

when you see some of the cars that come in here i wouldnt put in a donut tank

The BA egas sedans have tanks mounte dunder them - so you maybe able to cut your boot out and weld in a section

 

_________________

Nicko

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
when you see some of the cars that come in here i wouldnt put in a donut tank

can i ask why? just outta interest

here's the best solution - buy a real mans car, buy a wagon and then your problem will be solved! :wink: and you get the luxury of LWB!

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:43 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Neo_nick wrote:
when you see some of the cars that come in here i wouldnt put in a donut tank

can i ask why? just outta interest


i'd imagine because of how far in some of the rear-end accidents go! the donut-tanks would be pretty close to the back of the car and therefore prone to a lot more damage! :?

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
twirqurky wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
you could get a donut shaped tank and put it were the spare wheel is in a sedan.

otherwise i don't see why you can't remove the petrol tank and put it there? if your going dedicated LPG


If you going pure LPG then you need the engien re "configured" to handle 100% LPG


And how do you reconfigure the engine? I don't really believe that the modify the engine on cars running straight LPG, after all it;'s the same fuel as duel fuelers use when on LPG isint it?
It's not a lot more work to go straight LPG, and the restult is that the car runs better on LPG. Only downside is the car takes a bit longer to start.


For starters the car is better to start on petrol the way your engine is now. Saves f**k s**t up big time.

"Re configureed" meant buying LPG based injecters and turning it from an EFI engine into a LPG engine. Ig you run LPG 100% of the time you risk clogigng injectors and screwing your fuel pump up.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
For starters the car is better to start on petrol the way your engine is now. Saves f**k s**t up big time.

"Re configureed" meant buying LPG based injecters and turning it from an EFI engine into a LPG engine. Ig you run LPG 100% of the time you risk clogigng injectors and screwing your fuel pump up.

THAT HAS TO BE ABOUT ONE OF THE SILLIEST THINGS EVER SAID!
If you run LPG 100% of the time (like you have said above) - then WHY WOULD YOU CAR IF YOUR PETROL STUFF GETS CLOGED? your running LPG you don't need it! LPG does not use the petrol injectors or anything so it matters not that they get cloged, and if you ever decide to transfer back to petrol or back to duel fuel they can be cleaned!
As for screwing your fuel pump, if your LPG system has been installed correctly then the fuel pump will be turned off when LPG is on, and so cannot be getting screwed from over heating and working when there's no petrol to pump!

LPG based injectors? LPG DOES NOT use injectors! It's gas.
LPi (LP Injection) does, but those systems are not really commercially avaliable yet!

And turning it from an EFI engine? Mate you can leave all your petrol stuff on - even if you go dedicated LPG, it just sits there and doesn't get used, you don't have to remove it. And turning it to an LPG engine is as simple as installing the kit - and there's sweet all more parts to a dedicated LPG system than a duel fuel system!

And the comment on saves "f**k s**t up big time" when starting on LPG care to explain?
If there was a problem with it, why would Ford release Egas Falcons that do it (start on LPG not on petrol)? Why would members like Waggin on this site do it. Why would many taxis do it?

I'll wait to here your thoughts...

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

uglybob wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Neo_nick wrote:
when you see some of the cars that come in here i wouldnt put in a donut tank

can i ask why? just outta interest


i'd imagine because of how far in some of the rear-end accidents go! the donut-tanks would be pretty close to the back of the car and therefore prone to a lot more damage! :?


Hmmmm... On my wagon the tank is probably only 30/40ish cms from the very last point of the rear bumper bar. but so would be my fuel tank if that hadn't been moved to fit the LPG tank.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:26 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Just going off what the guys at the gas shop told me today.

Unused unleaded petrol goes off and moulds into a waxy like substance that clogs up injectors and the fuel pump. You may be willing to risk that with your engine, but not with mine.

I dont know about Egas; before this site I had never heard of them. Im guessing that maybe there is a different component in the ECU, maybe the engines have been designed 98% similair, but 2% changed. I dont know about Egas or Waggins cars.

Liek I siad I got my car converted today and thats what the guys at the shop told me when they were dispensing their advice on the do's and dont's. Its also what I have read on a few sites and had told to me by other people.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:24 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names