Haltech VS Microtech 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

ltd35169 wrote:

So far from looking around on the net I see that MS comes in three different versions although one isn't available yet, MS, MS2, and Ultramegasquirt, from what I have read the MS is fuel, the MS2 is fuel and ign, the UMS is fuel ign and supports sequential firring.

Close.

Megasquirt 1 was originally fuel only. But with a few hardware tweaks and the correct software (Megasquirt-n-spark) it will control igintion and whole lotta other stuff... water injection, thermos etc etc. It's really worth spending the time reading about all of this as quite complicated and difficult to explain.

Megasquirt 2 is a replacement CPU for MS1. The original CPU comes out and the Megasquirt 2 is a daughterboard which plugs into the original circuit. Still bank fire IIRC. Ive spoken to a Ford 5.0L MS test mule in the states and apparantley some reliability issues with MS2... i was advised to go with megasquirt 1 and use the "Megasquirt-n-spark extra" software...

UMS is the future release. Still in development I think.

Quote:
I am only going to use the unit to manage ign and also datalog evrything, I think I would need a MS2 with the MAP sensor upgraded to handle 20+ psi, other similar engine combo's like mine are using an MSD dizzy(TFI) I think??, and a 6al or similar box, they use the MS2 to map and control the curve and it receives its signal from the dizzy and then sends the coil signal thru the MSD box and onto the coil, my guess is that the MSD box is used to give a stronger spark but i am not sure? would I need to use a ign box????

Yeah the MSnS-E can control Ford-style TFI quite easily. Just provides a spark ouput (SPOUT) signal to the TFI module and it's all handled from there. The MSD6al box is used to provide a better spark... the necessity of aftermarket spark is dictated by your modifications, just like working within the parameters of standard engine control... ie. MS doesnt demand an MSD ignition box, but if you're looking at a 3bar MAP sensor then your power adder surely would? Sounds like you plan on pushing a lot of air into that motor :lol:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Megasquirt 2 is a replacement CPU for MS1. The original CPU comes out and the Megasquirt 2 is a daughterboard which plugs into the original circuit. Still bank fire IIRC. Ive spoken to a Ford 5.0L MS test mule in the states and apparantley some reliability issues with MS2... i was advised to go with megasquirt 1 and use the "Megasquirt-n-spark extra" software...

Yeah the MSnS-E can control Ford-style TFI quite easily. Just provides a spark ouput (SPOUT) signal to the TFI module and it's all handled from there. The MSD6al box is used to provide a better spark... the necessity of aftermarket spark is dictated by your modifications, just like working within the parameters of standard engine control... ie. MS doesnt demand an MSD ignition box, but if you're looking at a 3bar MAP sensor then your power adder surely would? Sounds like you plan on pushing a lot of air into that motor :lol:[/quote]

Yes lots of air.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

reading about the functionality of the MS system it can support ign controle using the TPS, MAP, H20 temp, BUT it doesn't support intake air temp it will read the air temp but not use it in the timming map calcs, thats one of the main functions I wanted, I don't really need TPS, as no throttle = no boost.

Seeing as I need a ign box with the MS anyway I may look into the programmable digital7, it can be programmed by laptop and is being run by many top racers, maybe use that for ign control and run a independent data logging system like Spork is building.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:41 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Digital 7? Tell me more :P

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Programmable digital seven with boost retard.

Runs an external MAP sensor
Can't remember all the features but heres some of them:
has burnout rpm limit, launch rpm limit, different rev limits for each gear, has seperate ign curves for each gear, fully adjustable retard curves and ign maps, multi stage retard, optical inputs for cam sync functions, individual cylinder management(requires both optical inputs??), its got everything you could want in an ignition controller, programs by laptop or hand held unit, I don't think its realtime tunning tho. Its basically the same as any Ecu but for ignition only. Pretty pricey tho, 700US I think.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Well one day when I get the first prototypes built I will be looking for 3 or 4 ppl to do an extended functionality test. But I'll post more about that when I get there.

Yeah but it's pretty cool.
Biggest problems at the moment are:

1) Designing windows interface software - Relatively simple but I have no experience or programs to do this.
2) A decision on cases and connectors. Like does it have to be waterproof? or just dustproof or neither. Custom made or try and fit everything around a standard size.
3) Do I package the screen into the main case or do I have it in a sperate case with buttons.

Any thoughs? Lots of this stuff is $$$ vs functionality. Like a custom made waterproof case with a clear plastic front for the LCD will cost more than the whole electronics. While a project box with some holes stamped into it will be like $10. If I made it DIY I could just let the user sort it out. - Engineering is so hard!

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Spork, that sounds really usable and worthwhile. I have a good display of what all the sensors are doing via my Wolf's display but its doesnt have any datalogging so i'd be keen for that. Also if it controlled a boost solenoid and wide band O2 that would be awesome.
I'll put my hand up if you need a turbo i6 test bed :)

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Having a seperate display would be handy but at the end of the day it will come down to cost like you said.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2