Fordmods Logo

HELP - EF manual conversion - ECU question 

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

lol, my auto ECU and second hand parts have done the same, and are fine aswell. And really it's not worth it, unless you get it for free or something.(or really cheap)...

Mines run fine for ages (literally ages), and I give it alot of s**t.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
least my SECOND HAND PARTS have
*never failed me.. track proven.. 60+passeses lotsa big burnouts.. wsid
*are operating as they were intended/built to do...

*may save a few dollars doing the job of redoing the auto ecu to man ecu... It may work.. just peace of mind knowing ive got a genuine part for the intended purpose.. thats all.. not baggn anybody... :roll: jus my 2 yen...

Why do you use your FORD for 60+ passes at WSID?

Please show me, in the original sales/service documents, where EXACTLY it shows the Ford Falcon (and variants) are designed for quarter mile work. Please show and highlight the text that shows the Falcon (and variants) are operating as they intended/built to do, on a drag strip.

Why not build a car designed for drag racing work? Plenty of top fuellers or fibreglass shells that look like a Falcon. That way you have the peace of mind in knowing your car is genuinely built for drag racing, you know, the intended purpose.

Remember, this is DYNO and STREET proven that the auto ECU works and causes ZERO negative effect to the car when compared to the manual ECU, as long as you use the two resistors, 7k and 1.2k to tell the ECU its in Neutral and the temp is correct, you get ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA, NO benefit in using a manual ECU.

But I'm sure thousands of people around Australia are wrong and you are correct.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

Dont forget to short out the leads for Park/Neutral or it wont let u start it. Ie it will think u r in gear.

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Stop being so f**k pedantic Bozz lol...

I use a tricked auto ECU, seems to run fine. But I'm another of those people who would like to use the part intended for the job and get a Manual ECU.

In fact I used to have a Manual ED XR6 ECU, before the BBM was put in and I swapped in an EL Auto one...
Fuel econonomy used to be better, but too hard to compare ED XR6 to EL std so inconclusive...
I don't really care what ppl use, personally I'd have a little bit more peace of mind using a Manual ECU but that's just me...

So anyways - what do you care if people would rather have a Manual ECU in their car lol!!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

voxace, only reason i'm being pedantic is because he gave wrong advise saying that "an auto ecu might work for a while", implying that it will somehow fail at a later date, which is very bluntly, wrong.

You, I, many others use the auto ECU without any issues at all and he has the audacity to come in and suggest we aren't doing a job right when the cheaper solution achieves exactly the same result as "doing it right"

I bet he didn't swap the wiring loom for a manual one though. Talk about pot calling the kettle black :)

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ive done the manuel conv with using my original Auto Ecu
wiring is different between EF - EL , i used different resistor values as stated before ,
now i got like a nice switch to over ride the thermo fans (high speed both fans ) and a nice idle up switch to bring up the rpm for a nice cold start warmup in the mornings :)

ill find the resister values for you and wiring colors / plugs so you know were they are so you can do this straight up when the box is in :)

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:40 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

hey, thanx guys for all the info, i understand where some of u's are coming from about using a original manual ECU, but i totally agree wid Bozz, no point using the manual ecu if i can make my auto one do exactly the same job and save some money..

MRE-40L:as for getting the wiring colours and all, that would be appreciated heaps, caz till this day, i dont know how to wire the resistors in.. i dont know where to wire them in, or how.. lol
and as for the values, alot of pplz hav said, 1.2k and 7k would do the job

another question, if i put the ecu straight on without any resistors and stuff, the car wont start unless i short out something, caz it thinks the car is in drive rite..? how the hell do i do that..?

5 speed manual
K&N airfilter
2.5" redback exhaust - one muffler
custom GT front bar + spoiler + scoop
millenium Side skirts + rear bar
In-Dash TV and DVD/mp3/usb player

Near future:
pacemaker extractors
LSD + 3.7 or 3.9 diff
CAM
Turbo!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:26 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

no, the car will start as long as the neutral switch is shorted.

It will just have the thermo fans going all the time, and it will rev funny.

The resistors are placed on the black round plug under the bonnet (easiest place).. there's a doco I have here somewhere.. I'll try and find.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:27 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Just remembered it was on my old computer. Im sure someone has it, it was pretty common. But then again, pretty straight foward.

If you really want it, I got it off Jaysen, drop him a PM, he might still have it.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hey chode bozz..
hope u stil around to read this cos
A) I race my car cos i want to...
B) cos i can!
C) better than on the street.. fully off road (WSID)
D) im not a millionair possibly like yourself that can afford top fuelers and true drag cars.. Whats the point of havig a drag car at a STREET DRIVEN night anyway??? *where u race your car???

* PS BOZZ... I think you will find most ford modders are of owning a street registerd ford.. unlike the dragster u suggest i should build with my spare change...

*ford dont build a race ready falcon unfortuantly as you might possibly know...

*Stil would like to use a manual ecu... but if you have such a problem with just my oppinion then why?? i think it more like your the aggressor here and its you that are BLATEANTLY wrong to try to crucify me for my opinion... TAKE A CHILL PILL DUDE!!! or else jus go sit on it!

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

HEy BOZZ... how can suggesting that a man ecu intalled into a converted auto to manual car be blatently wrong advice???

PoT calling the kettle black?? ha ha!
I had my job done at macqarther parts plus... (5spd conver)
The wiring is lagit..
No backyard job here that your suggesting!!!

im with voxace on this one as he is with my thinking...
only to YOU it seems we are both wrong to suggest having a man ecu in a manual car... take 2 chill pills bozz!!

shheesh!! was only my opinion but for you bozz, im sorry u have a cow about it!!

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

who knew two mature people could start such a s**t fight over ECUs lol. :lol:

Basically from I see Bozz is upset because fordfreak ef called the resistor job, a s**t job, backyard whatever... when it really achieves the same thing. And fordfreak ef likes manual ecu's so he is sticking with it....

Does that clear anything up?
lol, you guys are funny.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

pfftt, this is my 2 cents on it all, my car ran like s**t with the auto ecu, put in the manual ecu, ran much better and more economical (but revs real slow to drop), put in the xr ecu, engine much more responsive, revs drop instantly and overall much better.

EF XR8 - 5speed, Extractors & Exhaust

Post subject: ???
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

It would seem that people have different opinions. Lets remember that before starting a s**t fight. We all offer suggestions and information that we have to each other, and we can take it or leave it. WHY get bent out of shape because u dont like someone else's opinion or advice.
I give my 2c worth in case someone can use the info etc, if they dont like it or want to use it then so be it. But if I dont give it someone may miss out or not make a fully informed decision

We should not waste our time fighting but helping those who will listen and maybe learn something. Maybe its because we dont like the fact that someone else may know more than we do.

I will now get off my soap box and ignore anything said about me LOL

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

justfordima wrote:
who knew two mature people could start such a s**t fight over ECUs lol. :lol:

Basically from I see Bozz is upset because fordfreak ef called the resistor job, a s**t job, backyard whatever... when it really achieves the same thing. And fordfreak ef likes manual ecu's so he is sticking with it....

Does that clear anything up?
lol, you guys are funny.

Cheers

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out fordfreak is wrong.

Any sensible person can clearly see that.

Keep trolling fordfreak ef, I enjoy a good laugh from an agro with sand in their vagina :)

BTW, when is my car going to die because I'm using an auto ECU with a manual gearbox? Thanks in advance.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next