Fordmods Logo

HELP! Recommend a ECU 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: HELP! Recommend a ECU
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5lt Turbo NC, TE V6 Gemini

VIC, Australia

Im chasing some form of aftermarket management for my turbo EB V8 without spending mega$$$...Someone has recommended a delco conversion, and i suspect a few have done this here, and im after pros / cons... or if anyone can suggest anything else? Budget is probably $1200 and ill attempt the install myself..

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

The delco is good but not what you want. Trust me. You would need to change to a Holden VN/VP V8 ignition module ($250 odd) all your sensors, IAC valve and rewire the lot. I reckon you would be better of with a computer you dont need to change heaps of the sensors.

I have a megasquirt on a SR500 motorbike and I thought it was fairly easy to build and tune.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I run an 8860 EMS, but its a lottle out of your price range. It is the top of the line for the mid price range ECU's but you would be looking at 2k or so fitted and tuned.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmmm...im keen to see just how bad it is with timing/maf/injectors on 10psi.. then i might just garage it and buy a decent ecu...no point in blowing it up needlessly i guess

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BlownNc wrote:
hmmm...im keen to see just how bad it is with timing/maf/injectors on 10psi.. then i might just garage it and buy a decent ecu...no point in blowing it up needlessly i guess

Hi

If money is a issue try the Megasquirt forums

It is a DIY system and there is a harness adapter for the EEC-4 harness so not cutting your original harness in the vehicle

something to consider be prepared to do a lot of soldering and learning

The guys on the MS forums www.msefi.com are very helpful

try some of the links on http://fordmods.com/forums/btr-4-speed- ... 4-120.html

Find this megasquirt stuff very interesting http://www.megaefi.com/

How to use an EEC-IV Adapter Board to MegaSquirt your Ford

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... dapter.htm

Ford EEC-IV to MegaSquirt adaptor Assembly Instructions http://www.megaefi.com/V20Assembly.htm

EEC-IV Connector removal http://www.megaefi.com/connectorremoval.htm

How to MegaSquirt your Ford Mustang http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... ustang.htm

EEC to MegaSquirt adaptor boards http://megaefi.com/

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What about Tweecer? Or... What about a Microtech LT-8? Any pro's / cons?

Post subject: Wolf V500 Universal ECU
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BlownNc wrote:
What about Tweecer? Or... What about a Microtech LT-8? Any pro's / cons?

Hi

tweecer doesn't not totally support AUstralian eec4's and eec5's do you homework thoroughly.

Tweeker will be ok if you buy a American ECU that tweecer does support.
Do your homework on the wiring arrangment between the Australian ECU compared to the American ECU. Also compare the ignition system differances. Most of the American or bar all of the ECU's are mass sensor measuring devices so once again you have to purchase a wiring loom and all the correct sensors to work with the American ecu. do you DO YOUR HOMEWORK

Remember you are boosting you engine and working above atmospheric pressure. So make sure the software can reconize manifold pressure ( positive pressure ).

Microtech LT-8? is no differant than any other aftermarket ECU out there there based in Sydney Microtech have delt with the company and is OK.

All in all you will still need more accessories to make any aftermarket ECU mate upto your engine to make it functiuon correctly with any system.

I can sell you a Wolf V500 and there based here in Melbourne so support is not a issue.

Have a look and see what you think Wolf V500 Universal ECU http://wolfems.cart.net.au/cat/3754.html

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I have been doing some homework...but unlike some i cant spend all night on my computer sifting through massive amounts of info for little details i need to know, hence why i turn to you guys. More than anything im keen for these:
- plug into existing loom or include adaptor

- the ability to use existing sensors

- a base map pre loaded for the stock version of my engine (EB V8)

- cost effective, yet simple to install. Im trying to not be a tightass, but at the same time prove that you dont have to spend heaps to go forced...again any help muchly appreciated.

FPV_GTp - Whats the Wolf worth? And does it fit my criteria? Ihave heard many a good thing about them and they are definitely on my list. Am looking to buy before xmas...

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BlownNc wrote:
I have been doing some homework...but unlike some i cant spend all night on my computer sifting through massive amounts of info for little details i need to know, hence why i turn to you guys. More than anything im keen for these:
- plug into existing loom or include adaptor

- the ability to use existing sensors

- a base map pre loaded for the stock version of my engine (EB V8)

- cost effective, yet simple to install. Im trying to not be a tightass, but at the same time prove that you dont have to spend heaps to go forced...again any help muchly appreciated.

FPV_GTp - Whats the Wolf worth? And does it fit my criteria? Ihave heard many a good thing about them and they are definitely on my list. Am looking to buy before xmas...

Hi

Is the EB V8 automatic or manual transmission behind the V8 ?

If it is manual Wolf V5000 have plug'n'play units out. As far as base maps are concerned you will have to just plug SAFE figures in the software presuming you understand the concept of engine tuning and specially forced induction application. This will allow the engine to start and run under VERY light throttle control .

If the vehicle is a automatic you will have to run the eec4 and the trany PC in conjunction with any other aftermarket programmable ECU.

So if you intending to save money you will have to start learning to tuning yourself.

I will PM you a price for a Wolf V5

Have fun .

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi

have a look at these links

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21574

Post subject: ecu
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

honestly your better of waiting and saving some more money and get a decent ECU or a little more cash and get urself a microtech as they do the job well if in the right hands.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Check your EEC catch code with Pete (XR9Ute), he can tell you if it is supported by tweecer or not.

I believe the speed sender is different between Falcons and Mustangs. Again, I believe Pete has the info/skills to make a Mustang EEC work in a Falcon.

The later MAF-based EEC's can have engine load scaled up to 200% so they are fine with some boost. Just make sure MAF is big enough.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]