Fordmods Logo

Help the car no go and am stuffed 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Help the car no go and am stuffed
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 63

Posts: 168

Joined: 31st Oct 2006

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

Location: Kingaroy
QLD, Australia

The story so far,
Inlet manifold leak with busted gasket adjacent to thermostat housing.
Replaced same.

Also replaced coil (tested poorly)
Plugs, leads, complete dizzy with TFI module (had a new one in garage)

Fuel pump as low on pressure and dropping pressure.

Car started and pulled a trailer and family 200 kms to Brisbane (Logan Central) but about 180 kms into trip started missing and now wont gain power.

Replaced MAP sensor as it felt like an old Torana (sorry) with a busted diaphragm in the CV Carby. If you slowly increase throttle with an increase in revs it will go but only poorly. Flatten it and just f@rt and dies.

I'm going to go through the codes tomorrow but has anyone got suggestions, apart from Redheads and petrol?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas and a safe New Year to all.

It is an EL 4.0ltr I6 (03/98) auto with 200,000 kms

Grumbles

 

_________________

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:22 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

maybe the fuel filter is blocked??
when was it changed last??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 63

Posts: 168

Joined: 31st Oct 2006

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

Location: Kingaroy
QLD, Australia

yes filter replaced with pump and it was slightly blocking

 

_________________

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 694

Joined: 6th Apr 2007

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

Location: Sunny Coast or Beerburrum
QLD, Australia

Did your put the dizzy in on TDC on compression stoke? I've found you have to move the crane shaft a little bit to put a dizzy in, because of the worm gear...

Laticia ..

 

_________________

BANNED!!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:53 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

did you put the ecu into diagnostic mode when you set the ignition timing after changing the dizzy??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

blocked cat, air and or fuel filter full of s**t..

would be something simple as you have replaced most of the niggly things

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 1634

Joined: 8th Jul 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

Location: brighton
SA, Australia

dirty injectors maybe? i just replaced my ef and el ones with au injectors and the difference is huge. runs much smoother overall and can feel a difference in the top end power. must have been on their last legs. also check for spun harmonic balancer, recently replaced my brother inlaws ed balancer and my el one, timing marks were correct but were both lacking power, both cars had to be advanced around 25 degrees to run nice. timing marks line up now with new balancers.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:31 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 63

Posts: 168

Joined: 31st Oct 2006

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

Location: Kingaroy
QLD, Australia

Sommers NL wrote:
Did your put the dizzy in on TDC on compression stoke? I've found you have to move the crane shaft a little bit to put a dizzy in, because of the worm gear...

Laticia ..


Yes, I lined them up (car driven 200 odd kms since) but I intend to do all that again thanks
Grumbles

 

_________________

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:35 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 63

Posts: 168

Joined: 31st Oct 2006

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

Location: Kingaroy
QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
did you put the ecu into diagnostic mode when you set the ignition timing after changing the dizzy??


If you mean shorting STOI and Ground on the diagnostic connector and waiting for revs to increase then yes.

If there is something else could you let me know please?

Thanks

Grumbles

 

_________________

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:38 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 63

Posts: 168

Joined: 31st Oct 2006

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

Location: Kingaroy
QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
blocked cat, air and or fuel filter full of s**t..

would be something simple as you have replaced most of the niggly things


What is the easiest way to check CAT other than an external tapping?

Air cleaner blown out and ok, I imagine this would mainly effect upper rev range though.

Fuel filter replaced with pump
Thanks
Grumbles

 

_________________

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:43 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 63

Posts: 168

Joined: 31st Oct 2006

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

Location: Kingaroy
QLD, Australia

elf100capri wrote:
dirty injectors maybe? i just replaced my ef and el ones with au injectors and the difference is huge. runs much smoother overall and can feel a difference in the top end power. must have been on their last legs. also check for spun harmonic balancer, recently replaced my brother inlaws ed balancer and my el one, timing marks were correct but were both lacking power, both cars had to be advanced around 25 degrees to run nice. timing marks line up now with new balancers.


Will check. Had an HT/g/k that was about that far out.

Car pulled trailer well for 200 odd kms before this.

Thanks
Grumbles

 

_________________

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:43 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Check injectors as someone suggested...if you can, replace the cat with a working one and see if it makes a difference.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 34

Posts: 756

Joined: 21st Nov 2005

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

Location: griffith
NSW, Australia

Near the ignition coil is a little radio supressor just make sure that it is plugged in or not broken.Thus making sure it doesnt earth to the block because if this happens it will stall the engine and if its earthed itself somehow and is jammed it will not start.

Also try a can of aero start,spray some in the intake tube and then start the engine if it runs well i think you may need to replace your pump.

Have you checked for spark?Is it continuous??

As you have stated you have a problem but you havent mentioned if the engine starts and runs or does it crank or doesnt do anything at all.
Will help more with more info.

See how you go.

 

_________________

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 3737

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

sounds like a simlar problem to mine

i'll be doing the pump soon. the other one i have heard is the aux shaft going belly up very quickly

 

_________________

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:15 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 63

Posts: 168

Joined: 31st Oct 2006

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

Location: Kingaroy
QLD, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:
Near the ignition coil is a little radio supressor just make sure that it is plugged in or not broken.Thus making sure it doesnt earth to the block because if this happens it will stall the engine and if its earthed itself somehow and is jammed it will not start.

Also try a can of aero start,spray some in the intake tube and then start the engine if it runs well i think you may need to replace your pump.

Have you checked for spark?Is it continuous??

As you have stated you have a problem but you havent mentioned if the engine starts and runs or does it crank or doesnt do anything at all.
Will help more with more info.

See how you go.


Thanks I had no idea what that little black dohickie was.

Car ran well and pulled trailer for 200 odd kms before playing up.

Symptoms are as above with no acceptance of anything above light throttle.

I am not touching the beast till tomorrow.

Thanks for info
grumbles

 

_________________

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:25 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names