High octane fuel AND Octane Booster 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: High octane fuel AND Octane Booster
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I was running BP Ultimate with a few issues, so I have put a few tanks of Shell Optimax and it is running a fair bit better - but not perfect. I think I should get the injectors cleaned properly.

But anyway, I actually came on to ask a question - if one is already using higher octane fuel, and used something like Nulon Octane Booster AS WELL - what is likely to happen?

Can you run too high an octane?

Ta,
M

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

No, cant have too much octane (well, i'm sure if you ran it 100% octane boost it prolly wouldnt like it). It will be detonation proof tho.

Worth noting that with octane boosters, let's say 91RON gives you an extra 8 RON points, on 98RON you may only get an extra 5 RON points.

I'm not sure on exact numbers but its something along those lines...

Mmmm, i remember when a mate had is XY with seriously worked 302 and we'd go put BP 100 RON in the sucker... now THAT's a fuel!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Nevermind the octane, that Avatar sure gives me a Boost Falconboy :D :D :D

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

ROFL.

Yeah, not bad huh?

Although more than a mouthful is a waste.

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Nevermind the octane, that Avatar sure gives me a Boost Falconboy :D :D :D

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

im not sure about your question , however i find optimax dosent run aswell in my cars as ultimate does......interesting

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Ive tried a few differnt ocatne boosters/BHP increase additives, and although it depends on mods, and original fuel etc i have found that the Nulon one isnt nessecarily the best, ive tried ones like STP, Nitrox Hot Shot (favourite), NULON Pro formula,and i even gave the stupid little mini NOS bottle a go (the one that cost like $30 or something).

They are all pretty average and i didnt really notice any differences, but the Nitrox stuff for some reason that has seemed to make my XR6 go a lot better economy is increased, i was getting roughly 550kms to a full tank with this stuff compared to about 500 with the others (i BS you not) :wink:

Throttle response was really good too you really would notice the difference on hills and stuff.

Cost about $20, im not saying it may do the same for ne one else but i have found it to be a pretty decent product.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

And on that note - injector cleaners usually give the octane a nice kick in the pants. I quite like the Nulon injector cleaner.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
And on that note - injector cleaners usually give the octane a nice kick in the pants. I quite like the Nulon injector cleaner.

Yeah i dont mind the injector cleaner, i used it a couple of times way back when i first got the car and after the dyno day bought some of that stuff and it worked a treat :wink:

Not the best for increasing the RON in fuel thou, if you ask me.

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Be carefull when buying Octane Booster.

There's a difference between 'Increases Octane rating by 7 points" and "Increases Octane rating by 7 RON". If you increase your octane rating by 7 points, you go from 92RON to 92.7RON, which is f**k all of a difference.

This is very important if you drive a car that can only run on 98 octane fuel (many european sports cars) and find yourself stuck at a servo that only has 92.

Also, you should be limiting your use of injector cleaner. That stuff can damage rubber seals in your fuel system. Better pay the extra and get a professional to clean your injectors for you. Considering some of you are paying up to $30 per bottle for additives, paying to have your injectors cleaned isn't that much more in the long term.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:24 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: bluebird

NSW, Australia

If you are trying to clean injectors by running high octane fuel I suggest you try caltex vortex its meant to have some cleaning agents in it. But its only 95/96 octane unless your lucky enough to have the new vortex 98 near you

1970 V6 GT Capri
1971 1UZ powered Capri
1984 1UZ turbo powered Bluebird wagon
1989 GLX Cressida

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Octane boost won't do much I doubt.. Your car has to be tuned to the higher octane for you to notice any benefits I believe. But of course there will be minor differences. Not worth the $$$.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Octane boost won't do much I doubt.. Your car has to be tuned to the higher octane for you to notice any benefits I believe. But of course there will be minor differences. Not worth the $$$.

I would have to disagree their as I have used STP- Octane Booster a few times and I have noticed each time a DEFINATE Power gain. I didn't have to push the accelarator as far down as normal and also a quicker throttle response. Then when I have used a couple of tanks without it. I have then noticed I have to use the accelerator a bit more again. Easy 10% extra power I reckon on my EL with Optimax & STP-OB :D :D :D

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

One Drone wrote:

Sorry I disagree, I had a engine miss problem some time back, did all the usual stuff, plugs, leads, cap, rotor, cleaned injectors checked for vacuum leaks etc. Final fix was to run car on high octane premium fuel for 3 months, until the price skyrocketed, in the end without doing anything else engine was running smooth once again.

Recently we drove over to WA and the fuel ecconomy was far better on premium than on standard ULP 800+ out of a tank.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

octane boosters are waste of money, as is 98 octane fuel.

falcons were never tuned to run on it, and they were never tuned to be able to advance the timming far enough to make use of it.

if you think your car runs better on 98 octane and s**t on any thing els then there is some thing wrong with your car and you should fix it

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: bluebird

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
octane boosters are waste of money, as is 98 octane fuel.

falcons were never tuned to run on it, and they were never tuned to be able to advance the timming far enough to make use of it.

if you think your car runs better on 98 octane and s**t on any thing els then there is some thing wrong with your car and you should fix it

Unless you have advanced the timing to take advantage of the 98 fuel

1970 V6 GT Capri
1971 1UZ powered Capri
1984 1UZ turbo powered Bluebird wagon
1989 GLX Cressida

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next